What's new

Rudy's Jumper was Beautiful

Saint Cy of JFC

2022 Award Winner
Didn't watch the game last night but caught the highlights.
The jump shot looked good! I really wish he would stop shooting the midrange ones and just take a 3. That was probably the farthest two he has taken and it was the most smooth and confident we've seen him take.

Just get rid of those 1-2 players per game where he tries to isolate on a drive or drive into a post up and just make him shoot 3s.

Just get rid of those 1-2 players per game where he tries to isolate on a drive or drive into a post up and just make him shoot 3s.
Honestly not a bad idea. We're doing those to placate him and I'd be curious what the percentage is he makes on those vs. what he'd make on threes and the PPS he'd get. He'd be shooting wide-open. At the very least, if he's connecting on a couple it's going to change the way the defense covers.

Go start a petition on change.org

Honestly not a bad idea. We're doing those to placate him and I'd be curious what the percentage is he makes on those vs. what he'd make on threes and the PPS he'd get. He'd be shooting wide-open. At the very least, if he's connecting on a couple it's going to change the way the defense covers.

Go start a petition on change.org
The problem is that they only happen on offensive breakdowns and Gobert is just improvising, so it's difficult to really turn those into good perimeter shots.

I think most of Rudy's jumpers look kind of funky because they have no rythym. He catches, pivots around looking for someone to cut, get open, or run a DHO. That doesnt happen then he just kind of looks at the rim and has to do something.

He just needs to be given the green light in exactly the situation he found himself in last night. The play isn't developing and his guy sags off him to cover the cutters at the rim. He is all alone with plenty of time. So yes, shoot it. Why not? I just think that hasn't been part of any kind of game planning at all to this point, and really needs to be at least a 5th option kind of thing. I don't think we really run plays for it unless he starts to show some real ability in this shot, but in that situation he needs to be encouraged to shoot it. He has a far better chance of hitting that shot than he does driving from that distance, as we have seen fail spectacularly so many times in the past.

He just needs to be given the green light in exactly the situation he found himself in last night. The play isn't developing and his guy sags off him to cover the cutters at the rim. He is all alone with plenty of time. So yes, shoot it. Why not? I just think that hasn't been part of any kind of game planning at all to this point, and really needs to be at least a 5th option kind of thing. I don't think we really run plays for it unless he starts to show some real ability in this shot, but in that situation he needs to be encouraged to shoot it. He has a far better chance of hitting that shot than he does driving from that distance, as we have seen fail spectacularly so many times in the past.
If we want him to actually succeed at shooting then you have to run plays. A non-shooter is going to shoot even worse off plays like the Gobert shot last night because it has no rhythm and he is going to be in his head while taking the shot.

Jazz need to find a spot on the court Gobert likes, run a PNP action, and get him the ball so he can catch and shoot with a purpose instead of indecision.

Then maybe one day you hope he's gotten enough confidence to where he can pop the shot off failed/blownup DHO plays where he doesnt have to be focused in on a jump shot to still make the jump shot.

But I think that's ultimately the sticking point. The Rudy throwaway plays currently arent by design. They just happen every now and then.

Purposefully drawing up a likely wasted possession is probably a step farther than Quin wants to go.

The jump shot looked good! I really wish he would stop shooting the midrange ones and just take a 3. That was probably the farthest two he has taken and it was the most smooth and confident we've seen him take.

There was a play not long before that where he shot and hit from pretty much the same spot after the whistle already blew so I think it gave him the confidence to try it again. It would be nice if he started attempting a 3 once per game especially when we have a big lead.

It was indeed beautiful. My favorite play of the game

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

He started the shot turned/not facing the rim. I think that is smart. It gives the defense less time to react and Rudy can go through the full shooting motion.

It is no different than any other player reading the defense and taking what is given. If he finds himself all alone with no one available for the pass, then shoot the ball. No different than a broken play that ends up with Ingles with the ball on the wing and no one around. Shoot that thing. I bet Gobert could make 40-45% of those at least, which would be respectable from that distance. Enough to keep defenses from sagging off too much.

His jumper has come a VERY LONG way. But until he can hit free throws, I think it's about the 253rd option in the Hydr-offense.
I don't disagree, but when he is on the perimeter he defender (for good reason) sags off clogging the paint. If he can shoot a respectable percentage taking wide open 3s, we should let him do it. It will open up the offense even more.

Perhaps some comps would be Manute Bol or Thon Maker, two guys who are long and not really shooters who will put up some three balls, despite having FT% more in Rudy's ballpark (56.1%, 68%, and 64.1%, respectively). Okay, so Bol shot pretty terribly (21%), but averaged about a three (attempt) every other game, while Maker shoots too much for what we'd want Rudy to do (1.5 per game), though he does connect on a percentage of 32.7%. I'd also be curious on how often Maker is shooting wide-open, as my assumption is that's probably the bulk of his shots, though I could be wrong.

I was always amused when Marcus Camby would take a deep midrange jumper. But that dude could hit em. Gobert could be like that. It’s not the most efficient shot, but it’s better than a turnover.

I mean, Rudy's FT% through February was pretty damn respectable considering his career averages. He's shooting 72% his last 10 games. It is obvious he's putting time in getting better.

I have always thought Rudy needs to expand his game out from the basket. Some people started attacking that opinion but the reasons why I suggested it was because Rudy as of now is one dimensional on offense. If he starts hitting consistently some jump shots and even a 3pt then other centers have to come out and guard him. This opens up the lane for our other guys. In the playoffs teams are backing off Rudy to protect from the alley-oops and having a jump shot would certainly make teams less to pack the paint. I mean this only works if he takes enough shots and hits them at a high percentage.

Well it is pretty obvious Rudy is not going to improve much from 0-10 feet out, he struggles to get to the rim against short people when he should be flying and dunking that sucker, and his little hook and layup are pretty pathetic. He might as well shoot the open 20 footer. He will get a lot of looks from there each game until teams catch on he is making them at a decent clip. Then he helps with spacing.

You’re a ****ing clown. Two years ago I suggested he work on his perimeter game and you balked at it because “he’s so efficient.” Just like you balked when I said we should pursue Clarkson 16 months ago.

Get an original idea, dummy.