What's new

Rumors of the Republican demise have been greatly exagerated

Joe Bagadonuts

Remember all those posts about how the Republican party was dead? Do you recall all the people who were shoveling dirt onto the corpse? Hold up a sec.

I don't think that even the most optimistic Republican supporter ever imagined that the party would have firm control of both houses, plus the presidency, plus positioned to make a key appointment to the Supreme Court by the beginning of next year. One lesson that I've learned again and again is that life never fails to surprise. My life has recently surprised me with developments that exceed my wildest imagination, and it all happened in the wake of terrible personal tragedy. This election is yet another example.

Let's see what the right does now.

It didn't work out great for the left when they blamed the right, gained power and didn't have a plan.

There's no excuses anymore Reuplicans. You have control. What are you going to do now. No more excuses.

It didn't work out great for the left when they blamed the right, gained power and didn't have a plan.

There's no excuses anymore Reuplicans. You have control. What are you going to do now. No more excuses.

Once again a golden opportunity to bring Latinos firmly into their base. They'll waste it.

Once again a golden opportunity to bring Latinos firmly into their base. They'll waste it.

There are plenty of Latinos who seem to be interested in pulling the ladder up after them now that they are here. Since this election cycle was all about "pulling up the ladder", the Republicans actually have a decent chance.

I agree, though, they'll probably squander it.

Democrats never gained power. Almost everything Obama tried to do was blocked by the republic controlling Senate. Republicans can will have the ability to get a lot of things they want done. I hope some good comes from that. I hope they don't focus on hurting minority groups or taking rights away and focus on the economy, healthcare, transparency and shrinking the government.

Democrats never gained power. Almost everything Obama tried to do was blocked by the republic controlling Senate. Republicans can will have the ability to get a lot of things they want done. I hope some good comes from that. I hope they don't focus on hurting minority groups or taking rights away and focus on the economy, healthcare, transparency and shrinking the government.

Is that still a republican thing after this election? Aren't they populists now?

Is that still a republican thing after this election? Aren't they populists now?
I don't know. Just what I would like, I assumed that was still part of their platform, somewhere. I assumed populists voted for Trump as well.

That was the beauty of this election. Trump took the democratic platform over the last 15-20 years and shoved it right up their asses. They responded with xenophobe, racist, and homophobic jingling and the populace saw through their constant ******** ranting. Trump won the rust belt on democratic populism.

People were saying that the nomination of Trump was the end of the Republican party, that he was what they deserved for allowing the fringe wackos to take over. There wouldn't be anything but ashes to clean up after the Dems destroyed them in this election cycle. Now the narrative is that the change that was supposed to destroy them has instead transformed them into a Phoenix? You can't make this stuff up.

What would they do to get Latinos in their base? I mean, aside from immigration issues, do you have ideas as to what appeals to them on a Republican platform?

Democrats never gained power. Almost everything Obama tried to do was blocked by the republic controlling Senate.

You mean like having the presidency, the house and then a super majority in the senate?

You mean like having the presidency, the house and then a super majority in the senate?

I guess I just more remember the start and the end but he did have majority in the middle. Regardless I hope the Democrats are more willing to participate and get things accomplished than the Republicans were during Obama years. I also hope Trump is better at being bipartisan and inclusive than Obama was. Many republicans were saying they would not allow Clinton if she won to appoint a supreme court justice and would block all her attempts for 4 years and force us to have 1 less. I wonder if the Democrats will do the same thing back.

Rudy getting to the line 5.9x per game this year despite playing less than 30 minutes per.

Very, very solid. Hopefully his % improves though.

I guess I just more remember the start and the end but he did have majority in the middle. Regardless I hope the Democrats are more willing to participate and get things accomplished than the Republicans were during Obama years. I also hope Trump is better at being bipartisan and inclusive than Obama was. Many republicans were saying they would not allow Clinton if she won to appoint a supreme court justice and would block all her attempts for 4 years and force us to have 1 less. I wonder if the Democrats will do the same thing back.

Why would they? Republicans proved it works.

IIRC Trump had a majority, albeit slim, among the population as a whole except California where Hilary won in a landslide that tipped the popular vote scales in her favor. Another indictment of the outdated election system we use.

IIRC Trump had a majority, albeit slim, among the population as a whole except California where Hilary won in a landslide that tipped the popular vote scales in her favor. Another indictment of the outdated election system we use.

More interesting numbers...

Total Senate votes:
Democrat: 45,236,687
Republican: 39,400,662

This number is somewhat exaggerated because California did not have a Republican in the Senate race, just two Democrats. The two Democrats combined for about 8.5 million votes. Feinstein won election in 2012 by around 3 million votes.

In any case, that resulted in the Republicans winning 22 seats, and the Democrats 13.

The sum of the last three elections in the senate (that should cover just about every currently elected senator):
Democrat: 116,110,873
Republican: 103,163,134

The result of that is the current 51/46 split in the senate.

Coupled with HRC's popular-vote win, how is this sustainable? This is a six-year wave of votes... for the Democrats. Like Trump said, looks rigged.

Last edited: