What's new

Rumors of the Republican demise have been greatly exagerated

Remember all those posts about how the Republican party was dead? Do you recall all the people who were shoveling dirt onto the corpse? Hold up a sec.

I don't think that even the most optimistic Republican supporter ever imagined that the party would have firm control of both houses, plus the presidency, plus positioned to make a key appointment to the Supreme Court by the beginning of next year. One lesson that I've learned again and again is that life never fails to surprise. My life has recently surprised me with developments that exceed my wildest imagination, and it all happened in the wake of terrible personal tragedy. This election is yet another example.

The last 2 Republican presidents have been elected after receiving the minority of votes. Kind of ironic after all of Trump's bitching about the system being rigged, he get's elected without the majority.

Anyway, Trump isn't and never was a Republican. He was elected for not being Hillary. The GOP could have placed an R on a sack of turds, and Republicans would have voted for it over Clinton. Actually, that's pretty much what they did.

Personally, if I was a Republican, I don't think I'd want to claim Trump as representative of my party, and I'm guessing sooner than later, those supporting the oompa loompa will follow the example of people like the Bushes and Glen Beck, and disown Trump from the party.

Remember all those posts about how the Republican party was dead? Do you recall all the people who were shoveling dirt onto the corpse? Hold up a sec.

I don't think that even the most optimistic Republican supporter ever imagined that the party would have firm control of both houses, plus the presidency, plus positioned to make a key appointment to the Supreme Court by the beginning of next year. One lesson that I've learned again and again is that life never fails to surprise. My life has recently surprised me with developments that exceed my wildest imagination, and it all happened in the wake of terrible personal tragedy. This election is yet another example.

great post. There's a lesson in duality to be learned here which is sadly flying over many heads.

the media is obviously the biggest culprit in warping so many views, yet most of the anger and discontent I see isn't aimed in their direction.

great post. There's a lesson in duality to be learned here which is sadly flying over many heads.

the media is obviously the biggest culprit in warping so many views, yet most of the anger and discontent I see isn't aimed in their direction.
Because people on twitter are legitimately retarded and want to blame racism and sexism for everything.

Sent from my A0001 using JazzFanz mobile app

Because people on twitter are legitimately retarded and want to blame racism and sexism for everything.

it's not a chicken or the egg situation, the media misled the masses. **** they even fooled Vegas!!!!!!

I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts.

- Abraham Lincoln

2004 election:
Bush: 62,040,610 votes
Pct of population: 21%

2008 election:
McCain: 59,948,323 votes
Pct of population: 18%

2012 election:
Romney: 60,933,504 votes
Pct of population: 19%

2016 election:
Trump: 59,937,338 votes
Pct of population: 16.7%

Looks like a wave that is going back out to sea.

Yeah, to me the whole takeaway from this election isn't that the GOP is alive and well, but that the Dems aren't much better off. The two party system really does suck, and I only wish I believed things could improve.

... I'm guessing sooner than later, those supporting the oompa loompa will follow the example of people like the Bushes and Glen Beck, and disown Trump from the party.

I disagree. The Republicans are all about winning. Governing, policies, etc all take a back seat to good, old-fashioned, being-in-charge. Trump gave the republicans the presidency. They'll always love him for that... unless he loses it.

220px-George_H._W._Bush%2C_President_of_the_United_States%2C_1989_official_portrait.jpg

2004 election:

2008 election:

2012 election:

2016 election:

Yea, but show the opposite, and give the % of the population that actually voted.
What percent of the voting population did each side have?

What percent of the population can legally vote?

Those numbers by themselves mean nothing without context.

Yea, but show the opposite, and give the % of the population that actually voted.
What percent of the voting population did each side have?

What percent of the population can legally vote?

Those numbers by themselves mean nothing without context.

Yup, like Quartebacks putting up different numbers in different offenses, or baseball players having different stats in different eras. Silly to judge numbers from different elections without putting them in context.

2004 election:

2008 election:

2012 election:

2016 election:

Good call leaving the votes and percentages for Democrats out of this post.