What's new

Russell Westbrook just landed in Utah

Ryan could clear some merchandise by slapping the Westbrook name on it. In a number of years, the yellow Westbrook jersey could be one of the rarest, most sought after collectors items. This abortion of a branding could be known as “the Westbrook era.”

Is it a smart decision to keep WB? Probably not, but as I said in the earlier thread it's actually not that different from keeping Conley. He probably helps this team a little more and serves as a vet presence that the players look up to....but probably better to just tank and give PT to younger players.

Is it an entertaining decision to keep WB? Absolutely!!! Let's go for a roller coaster ride.
It would be soooooo dumb... look at the reports on the guy. So you give the keys to your multibillion dollar sports team to a "locker room vampire" for the funsies.

It would be soooooo dumb... look at the reports on the guy. So you give the keys to your multibillion dollar sports team to a "locker room vampire" for the funsies.

Look at the reports at what he did for young players at any of his stops. Look, I don't feel strongly about this locker room stuff in either direction. It's probably media fluff in either direction. Hard to deny what actually players say about him, even if there are gossip articles the other direction.

Look at the reports at what he did for young players at any of his stops. Look, I don't feel strongly about this locker room stuff in either direction. It's probably media fluff in either direction. Hard to deny what actually players say about him, even if there are gossip articles the other direction.
There is zero upside... and tremendous downside. Can't imagine dropping Mike and then giving Hardy this **** show. Russ plays hard... so do a lot of guys... I don't find him particularly entertaining. If you want entertaining just roll with Sexton and THT for 48 minutes and tell them to go nuts.

Let me break this down for everyone... Russ ain't walking through that door. If we tell him we are waiving him then Ryan pays the full price of the deal... So he goes out and hunts for the place he wants to be... when he finds that place he gives us a buyout and Ryan saves some money. We also don't just dismiss him by waiving him immediately.

This is just simply both sides playing nice.
Screw that I am fully invested in seeing the Jazz play wide open with Wesstbrook for a few games.

There is zero upside... and tremendous downside. Can't imagine dropping Mike and then giving Hardy this **** show. Russ plays hard... so do a lot of guys... I don't find him particularly entertaining. If you want entertaining just roll with Sexton and THT for 48 minutes and tell them to go nuts.
That’s not the kind of entertainment I have in mind. Think wrestling.

You don't think there would be a huge upside to Westbrook suiting up and getting a standing ovation fro the crowd as he is announced? That would be absolutely worth the time and trouble.

You don't think there would be a huge upside to Westbrook suiting up and getting a standing ovation fro the crowd as he is announced? That would be absolutely worth the time and trouble.

Huh?

No... not at all. Imagine he sucks and people still hate him and boo him... and he bad mouths us on his way out the door. Or they bring him in to sell tickets and bend to his wishes while young players see a star act like a douche.

Hey you know what would be fun... I'm going to let my kids take my next business meeting... it will be hilarious... good times.

It's a very similar conversation to Mike, but WB is easier to cut. Given the choice to cut Mike Conley I would have. For the same reasons I think its rationale to want to buyout WB from a team building perspective, but that wasn't the reason I or Soberas wanted to see WB in UTA to happen.

If you're reading into this vampire stuff too much, I honestly think you're being a sucker or reaching too much. It should be enough to say, it's not good for the future of the franchise and I don't care about the entertainment/it doesn't entertainment. No need to engage in this TMZ style reporting while also completely ignoring WB's track record and the obvious difference in locker room situation.

It's a very similar conversation to Mike, but WB is easier to cut. Given the choice to cut Mike Conley I would have. For the same reasons I think its rationale to want to buyout WB from a team building perspective, but that wasn't the reason I or Soberas wanted to see WB in UTA to happen.

If you're reading into this vampire stuff too much, I honestly think you're being a sucker or reaching too much. It should be enough to say, it's not good for the future of the franchise and I don't care about the entertainment/it doesn't entertainment. No need to engage in this TMZ style reporting while also completely ignoring WB's track record and the obvious difference in locker room situation.
His track record is he is a prickly *******... Dave Mcmenamin is not some TMZ guy lol. Believe what you want... the Jazz are not even considering this.

His track record is he is a prickly *******... Dave Mcmenamin is not some TMZ guy lol. Believe what you want... the Jazz are not even considering this.

Oh I don't think the Jazz are truly considering it. Doesn't change the fact that I would think it would be fun.

His track record is that the players repeatedly come out for him and vouch for him and praise him for the impact they've had on his career.

Russ can't say he is not reporting or else he would lose some leverage in the buyout discussions... we can't say we won't bring him in or its the same issue. We both agree to be nice and in the end we both get what we want... he goes somewhere that isn't Utah and Ryan saves some money with minimal friction.

I’m interested in seeing if he gives any money back on his deal outside of the usual vet minimum.