What's new

Say Goodbye to Victor Wem if we continue to play this good.

This...

It sucks I can't appreciate smashing the Nuggets more. The team played really well and has some dudes who could be fun to watch develop. But I just can't get excited about 'overachieve for 40 wins and bad lotto odds'.

If we could have kept Rudy and built a fun team like this around him, I could get behind that. But this is like purgatory. It's one game, and a long way to go. But the team seems both way too good, and not nearly good enough.
This was my thought too. Moving Mitchell for the pieces we did would have been enough around Gobert as it currently stands to really make a run. More or less keep this iteration and replace Olynyk with Gobert and we are immediate contenders. As it is they put too much raw talent on the floor to tank properly. Like why move on from Butler, he was what we needed to facilitate this tank. We are going to end up a treadmill team. Damnit.

This was my thought too. Moving Mitchell for the pieces we did would have been enough around Gobert as it currently stands to really make a run. More or less keep this iteration and replace Olynyk with Gobert and we are immediate contenders. As it is they put too much raw talent on the floor to tank properly. Like why move on from Butler, he was what we needed to facilitate this tank. We are going to end up a treadmill team. Damnit.
We'll see if Ainge makes a move... He didn't when his 'tanking' Boston teams way overachieved, but there was no Victor back then. Trading Bogey for contributors to this year's team still really irks me.

If Hardy is legit and the vibes are good, I guess it is what it is.. Maybe now I'll be hoping we can jump into the top three from the 7-10 lotto range. Not unheard of...

Again, **** tanking. Everyone is hanging their hats on developing a bunch of losers and a horrible culture for a less than 15% chance at a top player.

Tanking seems to mean something different to you. Players and coaches should always be trying to win. 'Tanking' to me just means the roster isn't very good and loses because the other team is better.
Fair enough. I really have no issues with that type of tanking to be honest. It's the type where people are rooting for losses and hoping that players who can play are rested and good players are traded that drives me nuts. Heck, not even good players per se. If Clarkson or Conley or other good vets were traded, so be it if the direction of the team is to go younger. No problems there. It's people suggesting the Jazz trade players like Lauri because he might be too good to help the tank.

We didnt do near enough during the off season to put us in the Victor sweepstakes so no surprise at all. And tanking usually requires a coaching staff and players who are willing to cash it in which we dont have. Maybe we still dump our vets and some other good pieces but I will surprised if we are in the running for a top pick. Should have kept Rudy and put these pieces to work with a new coach.

To echo some others in here, I, too have been considering an alternate reality of trading Mitchell but keeping Rudy.

If we’re going for another scrappy Cinderella run, then they should just have jettisoned the tumor and never traded Gobert. This team has a low ceiling but it’s floor is way too high.

They can still tank down the stretch, if good trade options for longer term team building develop, at the deadline of before. That being said, this is who I expected them to be. Better than the stupid national media thought, you know the one's that always hated on Sexton on a losing Cavs team that saw 4 coaches and a turnstyle of raw youth or disgruntled vets as his running mates. As if empty stats were his fault, or tat being the guy who can drop 20 in 21 off the bench with ease and did it his entire career as a starter previously.
I never saw bottom of the turd bowl like many expected since the roster got put on tumble dry.

If Jazz don't tank this year they should have kept Gobert and retool around him.

Our next 3-5 year ceiling will be lower than a 2nd round playoff run if we don't find a way to tank right. What a mess
they were never in full tank mode, after they got players in return that are actual nba starter caliber level players.( unless the rest them a lot or fake injuries or just don't even try to put decent players around them) maybe more moves come soon or at the trade deadline. But you don't trust the process or even go that direction in a small market unless the ownership is very patient and willing to lose massive revenue while bleeding losses

Tanking seems to mean something different to you. Players and coaches should always be trying to win. 'Tanking' to me just means the roster isn't very good and loses because the other team is better.
That is not tanking, that is sucking. Tanking is when you put non complimentary role players on the court with players that are legit starters, and in doing so require the starters to play hero ball, while the rest of the team is drawing zero defensive attention clogging lanes and taking terrible % shots.
They are clearly not tanking sorry but I told you so before this game as well.
Now they can start tanking anytime they want by gifting 20 minutes per to THT and sending JC into yolo

I would think the trade values of the veterans will only go up after a few more of these type performances. Conley, Beas, JC, even Gay would probably be the 3rd best player on the Lakers at this point. My assumption is a few of these guys get dealt during the season.

Maybe I'm just high after last night. As much as I want Victor, I also believe someone like Amen or Black from the next draft could be a potential star on this team. A 6'-8" stud playmaking wing added to the Markk/Kessler/Vandy/Sexton core could take this current bunch to another level.

Beat the good teams then lose to the bad ones.

We can't lose them all. But if we ever have to win a game, win it against a playoff team like the nuggets is the way to do it.

Cuz games are counted twice when it comes to bad team vs bad team. As long we lose all games against Spurs OKC rockets Magic Pistons, etc. we are in good shape

Yeah. The Warriors never learned how to win after they tanked for Harrison Barnes.
If they were tanking for Barnes, they didn't do it right. Actually I take it back, they were the 7th worst team in the league and got the 7th pick. They did it perfectly!

We want a legit chance to draft 1-3 pick. Look, even after this wildly unexpected win over Denver. I think there are only 3 teams which are worse than us. (SA,IND,OKC)
Everyone compete hard and there is no chance we will sustain that level of basketball. The truth is THIS IS only ONE game. We will know something after 10 games, I guess.

We want a legit chance to draft 1-3 pick. Look, even after this wildly unexpected win over Denver. I think there are only 3 teams which are worse than us. (SA,IND,OKC)
Everyone compete hard and there is no chance we will sustain that level of basketball. The truth is THIS IS only ONE game. We will know something after 10 games, I guess.
Not imo. I think there is no way there are only 3 teams worse in the league as is, especially if this coach is unwilling to play "tank ball" aka rolling out bad line ups that don't work well together in the name of development through bad basketball smh. Granted trades can change things into full tank mode easily. Right now this overeaction theatre after one game can flip to nothing if they get blown out against the Wolves and then go right back to discussions about how beating so called better teams is ok since they are not in the tank race.
This team as is will not be a bottom 4 team without several things taking place all at once. I know they are not a contender by any stretch as is, and they would be a lot better off if they get a high pick, but I would think knowing Ainge, he won't allow them to have to use their own pick to get a great player.