What's new

say NO to EXUM. the biggest bust since darko.

And frankly, your narrative here suggests that Exum is mentally fragile or weak. Which might be true.

And frankly, your narrative here suggests that Exum is mentally fragile or weak. Which might be true.
Not really my point... I just think he was not ready physically for the demands of NBA schedule which may or may not have led to ACL injury. Just my theory. That's why I think going to college and playing less demanding schedule vs less physically intimidating players may have done him good. It worked for Sabonis. It messed up Koufos chances at being drafted high. There is no way in knowing now.

Not really my point... I just think he was not ready physically for the demands of NBA schedule which may or may not have led to ACL injury. Just my theory. That's why I think going to college and playing less demanding schedule vs less physically intimidating players may have done him good. It worked for Sabonis. It messed up Koufos chances at being drafted high. There is no way in knowing now.

Your Sabonis and Koufos references make little to no sense.

I think comparing Dante's career path and situation to other players is probably a bit unfair because his path is potentially as unique as it gets.

Why? What's so unique or different about Exum? I am comparing him to other international talents who shined in U-16 or U-18 World and European championships. They were the same mystery as Exum and playing in college either exposed them or reinforced the hype. I really wish Kanter had played a year in Kentuky so we could ad him to the list as well.

And by the way, Exum was so ill-prepared to play in the NBA as a rookie that he managed to play all 82 games, and more minutes per game than he has in any subsequent season. It seems his body was just fine then.

Why? What's so unique or different about Exum? I am comparing him to other international talents who shined in U-16 or U-18 World and European championships. They were the same mystery as Exum and playing in college either exposed them or reinforced the hype. I really wish Kanter had played a year in Kentuky so we could ad him to the list as well.

You're asking as to what is so unique about a player that did not go through the conventional process of getting to the NBA? Matter of fact, the list of international players that have been top 5 picks, that didn't go to college, that also were injured severely on international duty so missed a great chunk of season(s) *Dante has basically missed 2 seasons*. Perhaps our very own Rubio falls into this equation, but after that the list is pretty thin.

Dante's overall situation, if you look at it and think that it is nothing out of the norm, and not abnormal in the slightest, then you need to rethink.

And by the way, Exum was so ill-prepared to play in the NBA as a rookie that he managed to play all 82 games, and more minutes per game than he has in any subsequent season. It seems his body was just fine then.
Fragile, but fine. An argument could be made that his injuries we partially due to his frame not being filled out and mature.

Reactions: MVP
There is no way you can say he would have tore his ACL playing for Australia had he gone to college instead of NBA... But I believe playing in college would have done wonders for his overall basketball growth compared to being thrown into NBA where he was not ready neither physically nor mentally. The one good thing happened from going to NBA - he got financial security, that I am not arguing about.
I really dont see how he would develop more in college.

You would have an argument if he didnt get any minutes his rookie year, but he got plenty.

College is really a poor development place. You have limits on how much you can practice, you have to do actual school work (to some degree), you don't play many games, and the style is ugly.

You know who was mentally weak and completely immature? Trey Lyles.
Maybe immature, but mentally weak seems like a stretch. He just came in not ready in his 2nd season, but guys struggle in their 2nd seasons, it happens to most of them.

Fragile, but fine. An argument could be made that his injuries we partially due to his frame not being filled out and mature.

Huh? But he had a whole 13 months in the NBA, presumably getting stronger and filling out, before his injury. He managed to play 82 games at 22 minutes a game without getting injured as a rookie. So it’s somewhat safe to say his body was prepared enough as a rookie.

Though all he did was run around like a damn chicken with his head cut off on defense and stand in the corner on offense.

Maybe immature, but mentally weak seems like a stretch. He just came in not ready in his 2nd season, but guys struggle in their 2nd seasons, it happens to most of them.

I don't think it was a stretch. I'm certain there was a mental aspect of the whole situation, which lead to his immaturity. He never got out of the fetus position he placed himself in.

I don't think it was a stretch. I'm certain there was a mental aspect of the whole situation, which lead to his immaturity. He never got out of the fetus position he placed himself in.
I mean, he got some chances to start the year, but the team didnt need him. They went with vets, they didnt play him through a ton of mistakes.

Like I said, immature, but I think mentally weak is a heavy tag and not something you should just throw around.

I mean, he got some chances to start the year, but the team didnt need him. They went with vets, they didnt play him through a ton of mistakes.

Like I said, immature, but I think mentally weak is a heavy tag and not something you should just throw around.

Yeah, although he didn't have the mental toughness to fight through that and I think that was a big reason as to why they let him go, plus a potential refusal to do what the coaches asked him to do, due to the immaturity we mentioned.

I think this debate is pretty unimportant anyway. I shouldn't have brought it up.

Yeah, although he didn't have the mental toughness to fight through that and I think that was a big reason as to why they let him go, plus a potential refusal to do what the coaches asked him to do, due to the immaturity we mentioned.

I think this debate is pretty unimportant anyway. I shouldn't have brought it up.
They let him go to get Donovan Mitchell. They didnt give him away for nothing.

My 2 cents, I think Dante's injuries had more to do with just bad luck. He played a whole season his rookie year so physically he was able to handle the NBA.

As far as maturity, who really knows if that was part of the equation. From all reports Dante was always praised for rehabbing his injuries. You have to be mature and patient to go through that process.

College helps some people mature but some go to college and never mature. It seems that for his age Dante is very mature and having international experience most likely helped him grow up faster. Being away from your family usually has a way of maturing you. Maturity is more of an individual choice. Some take longer than others and some never mature.

Going to college may have helped him gain national exposure but it also may have exposed flaws in his game. I personally think college helps the overall development if they are in a good program but in the end the player still has to have NBA talent which Dante has.

What I believe people are saying about Exum is he doesn't have a killer mentality, like the Black Mamba mentality which I agree he doesn't. I think it is hard to develop that type of mentality. Most are just born with it. However, I don't think he is weak minded necessarily. I think you have to be tough mentally to come back from his injuries and also to continue to fight to get minutes.

The reality is expectations were too high for Dante to begin with, the lack of exposure of his game allowed many people to believe he was a star in the making. I think Exum can become a very good player if he wants to be. People need to remember he lost basically two years of playing time rehabbing his injuries. People also need to realize what a big step up playing club basketball is to the NBA. I think if people lower their expectations and look for the good in his game there is a lot to like. However, if you continue to sigh or vent ever time he misses a shot or makes a bad pass then you will always be disappointed. Dante is a flawed player like most players and I will be surprised if he becomes the superstar most people thought he would be but I am cheering for him to keep improving because the Jazz need him to do so.

OK maybe that was more than 2 cents but I said my thoughts. So continue on..

When you look back at drafts you have to remember where players were being ranked before the draft. Many of those players you would take over Exum were not rated higher than him. The year Kanter was drafted by the Jazz at 3, is a prime example most people had him higher than Klay Thompson. Yet, no one would want Kanter over Thompson now.

So it is easy to say the Jazz blew it but what player was ranked higher or around Dante that you would have picked over him. Maybe Smart but he didn't want to work out for the Jazz but is also flawed.