What's new

Seeing AL Objectively - SLCdunk article

Surprised he had some nice things to say about Al. Seems like the last few things I read on that site was nothing but bashing on him. A part of me kind of wants Al gone because of all the hate for him. Guy hasn't been here very long to learn the system and he is hung out to dry. Think out of all the players we have had over the years he has got to be one of the most bashed on. I would take him over most of the centers we have had. The three biggest things that is holding back the jazz is no star, cap issues ( can't spend like the lakers) and players having too much control over the league. Problem on this team isn't Jefferson. Until the nba fixes those things jazz are going to have trouble no matter who is on the team. They can't compete with that. Really what can the jazz realistically do to match up against the heat? I feel for the most part the jazz are on a good road but they are going to have to figure out the best values they can get with the cap and not overpay players. One great thing about what the jazz did last year was they where not getting run out of the building and where pretty much in every game. You didn't mark them down as a lost on the road as you did in years past.

I liked the article.
I was on the Jefferson is out of here bandwagon for a bit, but now I just don't think so.
I wish Millsap would just accept a bench role with more money involved and it would put us a top of the west for sure.
Al is here to stay I think, and Millsap will get offered more money than we can afford elsewhere.

Couldnt find it posted yet using search, so figured I would put it up. Im sure most wont read it, because it contradicts a strong hatred of Big AL as a player, but I thought it was a good read and made a lot of valid points. Take the 5 mins to check it out at least please, then flame away.

https://www.slcdunk.com/2012/6/12/3080462/seeing-al-objectively

I did read the article earlier today. I feel like I should clarify something. I don't hate Big Al. He is most valuable when you have to have a bucket. Most of the time he can get that needed bucket. Also, Big Al is an above average man-on-man defender.

Here are my issues:

Black Hole- I'm not racist but there is no better way to describe it. He gets the ball, then he puts his head down and he goes to work. This is good and bad. More bad then good though. Basketball is a 5 man sport and often times last season if felt like a 5v1 game. It was not only frustrating to watch but boring to watch as well. I love ball movement and Jefferson is the complete opposite of ball movement.

Defensive Sieve- As I mentioned above he can play above average man-on-man defense. The problems start when the other team runs the pick and roll and roll and roll again. Teams have learned this simple flaw and they run it time and time again and Jefferson seems to forget that they other team ran the PnR the last time down the court and he also forgot how to defend it. One other thing, this did not happen frequently, but it is an issue nonetheless. Jefferson can become disinterested and that hurt both sides of the ball. He needs to be engaged the entire time that he is on the floor.

I liked the article.
I was on the Jefferson is out of here bandwagon for a bit, but now I just don't think so.
I wish Millsap would just accept a bench role with more money involved and it would put us a top of the west for sure.
Al is here to stay I think, and Millsap will get offered more money than we can afford elsewhere.

I still want Al to get every vaccine known to man, multiple times .. in his eyeballs.

I think what Al needs is to be impressed by his teamates to the point where he trusts them enough for him to pass the ball to them.

Couldnt find it posted yet using search, so figured I would put it up. Im sure most wont read it, because it contradicts a strong hatred of Big AL as a player, but I thought it was a good read and made a lot of valid points. Take the 5 mins to check it out at least please, then flame away.

https://www.slcdunk.com/2012/6/12/3080462/seeing-al-objectively

no flame here... but there's also a lot of "objective" stuff that completely contradicts what thsi guy offers up, and he hangs a LOT of his argument on the turnover part of the discussion, which i believe can be fully explained (and backed up objectively) with a few explanations about how al rarely does the types of basketball moves that result in turnovers. specifically, attacking the paint, passing out of the post (except for the reset pass), and diving on PnRs when he's the pick man.

but my bigger issue is in how he looks at him through the lens of NBA average. he defends al's shooting and overall offensive efficiency by saying he has an eFG% and shooting by zones are "above NBA average." well terrific. if we're comparing him to the NBA average, then should he really be getting 20+ possessions a night?

same is true if we ignore league averages and just look within our team. a possession that ends in an al jefferson attempt produces almost exactly the amount of points (1.04) as the average offensive possession for the jazz. so if you want to increase efficiency, do you keep throwing the ball to a guy who is completely average? no, you should divert some of your offense to players who will bring the average up. but we keep seeing, game after game, time after time, nights where al shoots the ball 20 times, scores 22, and we all pat him on the back. objectively, that doesn't make sense to me.

I think what Al needs is to be impressed by his teamates to the point where he trusts them enough for him to pass the ball to them.

you're suggesting it's a WILL issue then. i'm a little nervous that it's actually a SKILL issue. i haven't seen much from al that would indicate he has the vision or ability to consistently pass out of the post, except for that kick-out to the strong side wing.

His passing ability isn't that big of an issue. His pick n roll defense and lack of FTA's are really his only holes in his game, but they are pretty big ones.

same is true if we ignore league averages and just look within our team. a possession that ends in an al jefferson attempt produces almost exactly the amount of points (1.04) as the average offensive possession for the jazz. so if you want to increase efficiency, do you keep throwing the ball to a guy who is completely average? no, you should divert some of your offense to players who will bring the average up. but we keep seeing, game after game, time after time, nights where al shoots the ball 20 times, scores 22, and we all pat him on the back. objectively, that doesn't make sense to me.

In the end of the game ppp falls dramatically hence throwing the ball to someone scoring average consistently makes perfect sense.

I liked the article.

Time heals.

I hope Jazz organization has some killer instinct though.

On the other hand, BigAl's contract is a little bit untradeable, so let him expire and try to sign some real stuff for that money (build around Favors).

I don't hate AL. He seems like a very nice person off the court and he seems like he is a good teammate. However, the reality is that Favors and Kanter need minutes. Both Millsap and AL take minutes away from Favors and Kanter. I do not think Kanter is ready for starter minutes but his minutes need to increase. Favor needs to start. He is ready and he is the future franchise player.

So it isn't that I want AL gone for basketball reason (yes he has his flaws - what player doesn't?). Ideally having him start with Favors and moving Millsap to the bench is the best temporary solution to having too many big men. Kanter can play backup center. Eventually if both Kanter and Favors become the players the Jazz hope they will become then either Big AL or Millsap have to go because the Jazz can't have four starters. Next year the Jazz will have to make a tough decision with both AL and Paul or perhaps the financials will work things out naturally. There is no way that the Jazz can pay both Millsap and Jefferson big contracts and expect to keep Favors, Kanter, Burks, and Hayward.

I agree that the Jazz cant keep Sap and Jeff, I just see it as pretty plain that keeping Jeff is far more valuable to us as a team.

Also, I did read your stuff Nerd, and yes, you make alot of points that are obviously valid. A few of your objective critiques of Jeff were ones refuted in that very post, however.
In the end I guess it comes down to what stats you value most, and it seems it is fairly easy to put more value on the ones that back a previously held position. I admit I do it, and it seems you do also. Fair enough.

Jefferson has some amazing highlights in this clip! Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76_LPacvUW4&list=UUtQaN8nRecAqzoqUQUvo9tw&index=48&feature=plpp_video