What's new

Senate Halts Repeal of DADT

The wording of this is a little confusing. Wouldn't repealing DADT mean that we go back to what we had before, which was an outright ban on homosexuals serving in the armed services. DADT was supposed to be a stepping stone towards allowing homosexuals to serve.

Again, I think there are no real problems with homosexuals serving in the military. If the argument is that men shower together and so fourth I've got a super easy solution that I would have liked a hell of a lot...make the ****ing showers reasonably private and discourage people from walking around with their junk hanging out. It's a win-win if you ask me.

The wording of this is a little confusing. Wouldn't repealing DADT mean that we go back to what we had before, which was an outright ban on homosexuals serving in the armed services. DADT was supposed to be a stepping stone towards allowing homosexuals to serve.

Again, I think there are no real problems with homosexuals serving in the military. If the argument is that men shower together and so fourth I've got a super easy solution that I would have liked a hell of a lot...make the ****ing showers reasonably private and discourage people from walking around with their junk hanging out. It's a win-win if you ask me.

Make the showers private? Ours were. The big plus about this is that it will make it so two ******* that don't want to go on a deployment can request to see the Captain, say they're totally gay for each other, and get their separation papers.

I'm not sure that I understand how repealing DADT is going to make life better for gay soldiers.

If someone would like to explain it, I'm more than happy to listen.

Only if there was a law banning homosexual service. If there was, it was probably repealed by DADT.

Bronco70,

They get to keep being soldiers.

This video is just one of many reasons why I love Lady Gaga. It's just too bad the republicans won today with their damn filibuster. Equality may have lost today, but it will win out in the end. Everyone should watch this speech from Lady Gaga. She is such an inspiration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4rGla6OzGc

Only if there was a law banning homosexual service. If there was, it was probably repealed by DADT.

Bronco70,

They get to keep being soldiers.

There was/is a law banning homosexuals from serving in the military. Don't ask, don't tell is basically a policy that says if you don't tell us you're gay we won't ask, so you can serve as long as you keep your sexuality a secret. This is from wikipedia:
Don't ask, don't tell (DADT) is the common term for the policy restricting the United States military from efforts to discover or reveal closeted gay, lesbian, and bisexual service members or applicants, while barring those who are openly gay, lesbian, or bisexual from military service. The restrictions are mandated by federal law Pub.L. 103-160 (10 U.S.C. § 654). Unless one of the exceptions from 10 U.S.C. § 654(b) applies, the policy prohibits anyone who "demonstrate(s) a propensity or intent to engage in homosexual acts" from serving in the armed forces of the United States, because "it would create an unacceptable risk to the high standards of morale, good order and discipline, and unit cohesion that are the essence of military capability." The act prohibits any homosexual or bisexual person from disclosing his or her sexual orientation or from speaking about any homosexual relationships, including marriages or other familial attributes, while serving in the United States armed forces. As it exists, DADT specifies that the "don't ask" part of the policy indicates that superiors should not initiate investigation of a service member's orientation in the absence of disallowed behaviors, though credible and articulable evidence of homosexual behavior may cause an investigation. Violations of this aspect through persecutions and harassment of suspected servicemen and women resulted in the policy's current formulation as don't ask, don't tell, don't harass, don't pursue.

This video is just one of many reasons why I love Lady Gaga. It's just too bad the republicans won today with their damn filibuster. Equality may have lost today, but it will win out in the end. Everyone should watch this speech from Lady Gaga. She is such an inspiration.

Just so you know...
It wasn't about DADT

The legislation was attached to a military spending bill. Also attached was the "Dream Act" which is basically amnesty for 1 million or so illegals between the ages of 12-35 (if they have been in the country for 5 years and have at least a GED).

The bill needed 60 votes to head to the floor. It didn't get that many. And in an interesting political twist, Harry Reid was forced to vote against his own bill. Weird rule, but he can reintroduce the bill later by casting a "Nay" vote, but couldn't do so if he had voted "Yea" and the bill went down to defeat.

For the record, I think DADT is silly. Either allow gays in the military or don't. It's ridiculous that the only thing that separates being allowed to remain in the military vs. being discharged is being "caught" in the secret you've been forced to hide.

But blame the democrats for including amnesty, which 60-70% of Americans oppose according to whichever poll you use. Had the Dream Act not been attached, I think repealing DADT may have been something a few moderate Republicans were willing to swallow. But we'll never know. The Dems wanted to make a political play and pander to the Hispanic caucus. Now they can go into the November elections and say, "well, we tried, but those bigoted Republicans filibustered the bill. All we wanted was to legalize some college graduates. Surely, there's no harm in that."

The bill needed 60 votes to head to the floor. It didn't get that many.

You state this as if this has been the way politics has been done forever and always. That simply isn't the case. Until very recently it was not the practical reality that you needed 60 votes to get to a floor vote, thus rendering the floor vote effectively meaningless.

We're at the point where I think the tracking rules in the Senate should be amended so that a party can't filibuster indefinitely simply by stating their intention to do so. We should go back to the old rules where a filibuster actually required someone to make a speech. There used to be a real personal cost associated with the filibuster. Today, it's simply too easy.

But blame the democrats for including amnesty, which 60-70% of Americans oppose according to whichever poll you use. Had the Dream Act not been attached, I think repealing DADT may have been something a few moderate Republicans were willing to swallow. But we'll never know.

Doubtful. ASFAIK, Susan Collins is the only one who was on record as saying she would vote to repeal DADT. As for "moderate Republicans" they are, at this point, practically an extinct species. I would love a list of the Republicans in the Senate that you would define as moderate.

The legislation was attached to a military spending bill. Also attached was the "Dream Act" which is basically amnesty for 1 million or so illegals between the ages of 12-35 (if they have been in the country for 5 years and have at least a GED).

I heard that they needed to have been in country since they were minors, and either complete a term of military service or get a four-year college degree before they could get citizenship. So, not exactly a dream.

We're at the point where I think the tracking rules in the Senate should be amended so that a party can't filibuster indefinitely simply by stating their intention to do so. We should go back to the old rules where a filibuster actually required someone to make a speech. There used to be a real personal cost associated with the filibuster. Today, it's simply too easy.

Plus it made for better movies. <nods to Jimmy Stewart>

Plus it made for better movies. <nods to Jimmy Stewart>

One of the most vicious fights the Madame and I ever had was over the merits of "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington."

She hated it.

We've had to make a pact to keep our disagreements about Frank Capra silent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4rGla6OzGc

Any side of an argument that Lady Gaga is on should lose. No further discussion required. No matter the issue.

Any side of an argument that Lady Gaga is on should lose. No further discussion required. No matter the issue.

Sons of bitches, the bum took the words right out of my mouth. The fact that people are using her as a rallying point is frightening.

Sons of bitches, the bum took the words right out of my mouth. The fact that people are using her as a rallying point is frightening.

I don't like how much you're agreeing with me lately. It's making me question my opinions.

In all seriousness though, someone needs to Michael Vick that female dog.

Are you going to give any valid arguments against what Lady Gaga said? Did you even bother to watch her speech? Or are you writing her off completely because you think "she's so weird"? You may not like her theatrics, although many people do, but she is so much smarter than people give her credit for. If you are writing her off because you don't like her music or the way she presents it, that says more about you than it does about her.