What's new

Sheridan: Spurs front-runner to land Jefferson

IBProfane

Spurs front-runner to land Jefferson

I was going to post this in the trade deadline thread but felt it deserved it's own. Sheridan strongly suggests that the Spurs are the front runner, and obviously having Scott Layden in their front office makes me think this could have some legs. Chris thinks they've discussed a Captain Jack/Splitter/Mills swap for Big Al or something along those lines. What do you guys think?

Mills has one more deal beyond this year at just over $1m. I would love to have Splitter under a reasonable 3-4 year deal but he's expiring along with Jack (who I'm assuming would be bought out). Can you imagine Stephen Jackson in Salt Lake? *mind implodes*

Man, the last thing I want is Jackson in a Jazz uniform. Without a guy like Pop running the show he'll revert back to his old ******** and we'll have a Bell 2.0 situation.

At first I thought there was no way the spurs would do it, but then I looked at S-Jax's stat line this year and it's not that great. I don't know much about Splitter, his PER is 20, I don't know why they would want to get rid of him. I would welcome this trade though. Getting rid of our front court log jam is huge

Al Jefferson out of Utah? I don't care about the rest of the details-- pull the trigger.

I actually really like it. Our depth chart this year when healthy going forward would look like:

Williams/Mills/Tinsley
Hayward/Foye/Burks
Marvin/Demarre/Burks/Jackson
Millsap/Kanter
Favors/Splitter

We have another (4) solid front court players, but are players more adaptable to less minutes IMO. Probably minutes split between Foye/Burks/Mills at the 1 with Foye and Burks getting the bulk. Then Jackson is off the books next year so no worries there and I think Splitter is more suited for a 25 minute night than Millsap would be and hopefully would be cheaper.

Actually not bad for the Spurs either:

Parker
Green
Leonard
Duncan
Al

Duncan can still do most of the defensive work and with Parker getting into the lane with ease should make for easy baskets for Al and as long as he's willing to kick out to shooters the Spurs could be successful.

Actually not bad for the Spurs either:

Parker
Green
Leonard
Duncan
Al

Duncan can still do most of the defensive work and with Parker getting into the lane with ease should make for easy baskets for Al and as long as he's willing to kick out to shooters the Spurs could be successful.

It'd be interesting to watch Jefferson on the Spurs for sure. He's never been on a contender and Popovich isn't afraid to bench people.

I like them and would like them to win it this year over okc/clippers/miami

On the Spurs boards they seem pretty mixed on it, but some are open to the idea. A lot of them would rather send Danny Green instead of Splitter which would be fine by me:

Williams
Green
Hayward
Millsap
Favors

Splitter is a restricted FA. He has value. Mills is an upgrade over Watson and perhaps Tinsley

Splitter is a restricted FA. He has value. Mills is an upgrade over Watson and perhaps Tinsley

...and we would finally get a young point guard on the roster, but I dont know I think we need to go older at the PG spot. Perhaps Kidd.