What's new

Should I move to Seattle?

That line REALLY bugs me and is VERY telling. The fact that another Christian believes in the Old Testament, and the New Testament, but not in the book of Mormon means NOTHING about the quality of the person or their set of values. Just like your inability to spell "similar" and "rapport" means nothing about you as a person.

Huh? He wrote a simple sentence that never implied any of that.

That line REALLY bugs me and is VERY telling. The fact that another Christian believes in the Old Testament, and the New Testament, but not in the book of Mormon means NOTHING about the quality of the person or their set of values. Just like your inability to spell "similar" and "rapport" means nothing about you as a person.

Whoa, whoa, whoa... What? Seriously, what the **** are you talking about? I want to point out that I hate green just as much as any other glue-sniffing Ute, but I gotta stick up for the man on this one. He didn't even come close to what you're insinuating. The Mormon faith has high values, and I don't think that is up for debate, and I think the majority of Mo's live up to those morals and standards. Are there idiots (like me) who give them all a bad name? Of course, but overall, Utah is a great place to live if you value certain things. Studies abound about how we're the most charitable, friendly, beautiful, etc. I would NEVER move my family to the east coast, simply because I think their values suck rocks, the people are ugly (not just looks, but man, they look ugly), etc. I will keep them here in Utah because I know that 9 times out of 10, the people they interact with will be upstanding, moral people. Utah has a lot of good people, and the Mormon church is responsible for a lot of that. Deal with it, yo.

Not to pound you further into the ground, but dude... When The Thriller gives you props on your post, you have to know that you were either plastered when you wrote it, misunderstood the OP, or you're just trying to pull a fast one on everyone.

Shoots and scores.

My grandma who was born a Catholic and has spent most of her life as a Presbyterian has much higher morals than 99.9 percent of Utah Mormons/BYU students. In terms of honesty, respect, and just all around integrity, she's amazing.

Hyperbole is fun, no doubt, but shut the **** up.

Huh? He wrote a simple sentence that never implied any of that.

The Asian speaks truth.

Calm down. Thriller's already humping your leg.

Does mean something about the quality of the person if they don't believe in the Old testament, the New Testament or the Book of Mormon?

You want to know who's post was very telling? Yours.

My wife and I have given some thought to moving away from here (Utah) and the pacific NW is a spot that interests us. I have some extended family up there (mostly Oregon) and they love it. They're not religious though.

Run while you still can.

I'll weigh in here...

I have lived in 17 states and 5 countries. I am a Christian (of the non-Mormon variety) and have lived in Utah for 8 years. I'd say 75% of my friends are Mormon and all of my partners and key personnel are as well. Here is my take;

- Generally, LDS folks carry much more of a sense of holier than thou than any other denomination I've been around. I feel this comes from the doctrine and the "One True Church" teachings thereof. So, in some ways I don't blame most of them as they are taught they're members of the correct version. Having said that, ALL religions and denominations have their fair share of exhaustingly obnoxious members.. I am not talking about those.

- Though Mormons have not cornered the market on 'living right'.. I firmly believe Utah is a better example of this than any other state (call it a % if you will).
I love having my kids in Utah schools... FAR fewer problems than anywhere else I've ever been. Crime is less.. and so on.

So for those that feel fortunate they're raising their families in the state of Utah because of higher values system.. I agree.
If there are those that live elsewhere and envy the same.. I agree.

I only get bugged by those small % of LDS that are not shy that they believe everything outside of the borders of Utah are heathens..

The LDS has not cornered the market on religious folks that walk the walk.. nor have they cornered the market on obnoxious people that look down their noses at others.

I'm glad I'm here. I adore my LDS friends.. even with their faults.. they have to put up with a few of my own.

Default - your response makes me laugh. So you don't hang out with people with similar interests? Everyone does. High school clubs, fraternities, the Burroughs in NY, Chinatowns everywhere, etc.

You're no better. You just like to bag on others and make yourself look like a hypocrite.

I'll weigh in here...

I have lived in 17 states and 5 countries. I am a Christian (of the non-Mormon variety) and have lived in Utah for 8 years. I'd say 75% of my friends are Mormon and all of my partners and key personnel are as well. Here is my take;

- Generally, LDS folks carry much more of a sense of holier than thou than any other denomination I've been around. I feel this comes from the doctrine and the "One True Church" teachings thereof. So, in some ways I don't blame most of them as they are taught they're members of the correct version. Having said that, ALL religions and denominations have their fair share of exhaustingly obnoxious members.. I am not talking about those.

- Though Mormons have not cornered the market on 'living right'.. I firmly believe Utah is a better example of this than any other state (call it a % if you will).
I love having my kids in Utah schools... FAR fewer problems than anywhere else I've ever been. Crime is less.. and so on.

So for those that feel fortunate they're raising their families in the state of Utah because of higher values system.. I agree.
If there are those that live elsewhere and envy the same.. I agree.

I only get bugged by those small % of LDS that are not shy that they believe everything outside of the borders of Utah are heathens..

The LDS has not cornered the market on religious folks that walk the walk.. nor have they cornered the market on obnoxious people that look down their noses at others.

I'm glad I'm here. I adore my LDS friends.. even with their faults.. they have to put up with a few of my own.
Great post. I (and my wife and daughter) have been living - for the time being - in a great city called Santa Clarita, which is 35 miles NE of Los Angeles. The city has a huge Christian population in part due to having "The Master's College" located here. Primarily Baptist, but now listed as a non-denominational Christian college. Most people we interact with are not LDS, but share our core values. However, we have serious concerns over the direction the Junior High and High School have headed. And this is in a largely conservative area. Fortunately, we're not part of the LAUSD!

With me still looking for permanent employment (I've been doing some contract work of late), we've discussed moving out of CA. Haven't really expanded my job search out of state yet, but it may be coming. Once you have child(ren), it really becomes doing what is best for them.

I do agree with others who have said it's helpful to have a broader world view than what you get by just living in Utah your whole life. I've been lucky to have that (moved from SLC when I was 12); my wife has always lived in CA and my daughter has certainly experienced that so far.

As for the OP, my uncle and his family live in Bremerton. They love it!

I was in unincorporated king county (annexed by Woodinville now) and it was a fantastic little place.

Know a family that lives out on Vashon Island that has 22 kids. Stay away.... far away.... Seattle might be just far enough away from there.

Seattle is an excellent place, I've lived there for more than 3 years. I think its more culturally diverse and from my personal experience I found that people were much more respectful and accepting there (compared to Utah). The parks are just amazing, and the fresh air is lively and healthy. Your skin and your lungs will feel much better. Education over there is also very good, even though I lived in the ghetto. I remember field trips every month and we had music lessons with very nice equipment in the 1st grade. I also had free personal tutors every weekend. My school gave me free seahawk and sonic tickets as well. So the things that stood out the most to me is the lovely atmosphere, the people, and public education. Once in a while you get sick of the grey skies, but overall it is a very beautiful place, please move there if you can afford it.

I went to Seattle for vacation once a few years ago. Both at the time and looking back, I feel like it's possibly my favorite city. I'm sure time has helped increase those feelings, but even at the time I thought what an amazing city it was. I loved the layout, things to do, etc. I had such an amazing visit.

Of course, living there would be different and I did go during August. I'm not sure I could handle the lack of sunshine throughout the late fall/winter. I would highly recommend it depending on how well you like your current job/city.

Great post. I (and my wife and daughter) have been living - for the time being - in a great city called Santa Clarita, which is 35 miles NE of Los Angeles...

MAGIC MOUNTAIN! Santa Clarita really seems to be booming lately in population. Aren't there a ton of Mormons up there too due to cheaper housing, etc.? That's what I've heard. I live almost exactly 35 miles SE of you.