What's new

Should the Jazz rest Mitchell and Conley until the playoffs?

Should the Jazz rest Mitchell and Conley until the playoffs?

• Yes, let them get as healthy as possible

Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Play Mike but rest Donovan

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Play Donovan rest Mike

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Play them both, we need them to get into a rhythm and we need the first seed

Votes: 12 37.5%

• Total voters
Well with the Suns loss tonight this poll became a no-brainer.
I said this under the assumption that Conley was still hobbled.

If the reports are true that he's fine and would have played a couple games ago if it were in the playoffs, then he should have played tonight. Tonight was important.

Tonight was not important. We just have to beat two teams that want to lose to be the 1 seed. Also it's very likely Phoenix losses 1 game. It's very hard to win 3 games in 3 nights. I'm also still not convinced the Jazz care about the #1 seed. I think they are hoping for it, but are content either way. Personally I really want the one seed though.

As far as other teams go, positioning wise, you should just ignore that. Don't get cute trying to line up your opponent, it bites you in the *** more often than not.

Tonight was not important. We just have to beat two teams that want to lose to be the 1 seed. Also it's very likely Phoenix losses 1 game. It's very hard to win 3 games in 3 nights. I'm also still not convinced the Jazz care about the #1 seed. I think they are hoping for it, but are content either way. Personally I really want the one seed though.

As far as other teams go, positioning wise, you should just ignore that. Don't get cute trying to line up your opponent, it bites you in the *** more often than not.
I would define getting cute as not putting forth a strong effort to secure #1, and have said that for a while. I think our biggest issue, however, will be not having everyone integrated back in. If Don and Mike are really ready to go but we’re being extra cautious, I think it’s short-sighted. It’s sort of like last year when we had a brand new team and we sat most the guys for the preseason and didn’t built any rhythm or comfort, then tried to do it on opening night. Yeah, you could say that, because how long it really took to get everyone integrated, that a few preseason games would be meaningless in the end, but it certainly didn’t position ourselves to hit the ground running, and I’d say most of Conley’s struggles last year were mental. What if he were to have started with a couple strong games?

If you’re throwing Mike and Donovan out there after missing about 15 games and your opponent is the Lakers, then taking the approach of “oh, we can afford to take a couple games to shake off the rust” would be getting cute.

Tonight was not important.
I mean, it will probably end up putting the Lakers in the play-in.

We've gone from staring at a pretty favorable path to the WCF to praying that Curry doesn't get hot in the play-in.

And I'd honestly argue that gambling on being able to use the first round to re-integrate two starters is "being cute".

Last edited:

We've gone from staring at a pretty favorable path to the WCF to praying that Curry doesn't get hot in the play-in.

And I'd honestly argue that gambling on being able to use the first round to re-integrate two starters is "being cute".
Couldn't curry getting hot in the play in and the Lakers being in the play in be a good thing?
Maybe the Lakers get bounced from the playoffs, warriors are the 7 seed and the jazz get Memphis in round 1.

In other words we just don't know how things are going to shake out

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

Couldn't curry getting hot in the play in and the Lakers being in the play in be a good thing?
Maybe the Lakers get bounced from the playoffs, warriors are the 7 seed and the jazz get Memphis in round 1.

Even If Curry shoot the Lakers out of the 2, 3, 6, 7 bracket, they'd still play Grizz or Spurs. The way AD got to start playing recently (actually good basketball, even If limping after making some higher effort play) i don't really expect them to lose a second play in game, even if Lebron ain't good (and they'll still have Schroeder, right ?

The NBA won't allow the Lakers to lose to the Grizzlies in the second play-in game.

Even If Curry shoot the Lakers out of the 2, 3, 6, 7 bracket, they'd still play Grizz or Spurs. The way AD got to start playing recently (actually good basketball, even If limping after making some higher effort play) i don't really expect them to lose a second play in game, even if Lebron ain't good (and they'll still have Schroeder, right ?
It's impossible to know if the Lakers are going to finish 7 or 8. As Zach Lowe suggested some days ago, the #1 seed should be given the option of selecting its opponent in Round 1.

It's impossible to know if the Lakers are going to finish 7 or 8. As Zach Lowe suggested some days ago, the #1 seed should be given the option of selecting its opponent in Round 1.

I have trouble conceiving a way to make it in a way that wouldn't be really bad (Like a team that made their way to deserve a 7th seed or whatever, should they be penalized cause a scaried cat 1st seed doesn't wanna meet the 8th ?). And i don't see Lakers going for our side of the bracket as something different than us running away from Houston at the bubble.

As Zach Lowe suggested some days ago, the #1 seed should be given the option of selecting its opponent in Round 1.
Seriously.

Either that, or make it so the play-in only determines which teams make the playoffs, but still keep the seeding by record.

The current format is broken.

The NBA won't allow the Lakers to lose to the Grizzlies in the second play-in game.

Can we stop it with this nonsense? Do you think the NBA wanted the Raptors to beat the Warriors in the Finals? Or the Pistons when they beat the Lakers?

I have trouble conceiving a way to make it in a way that wouldn't be really bad (Like a team that made their way to deserve a 7th seed or whatever, should they be penalized cause a scaried cat 1st seed doesn't wanna meet the 8th ?). And i don't see Lakers going for our side of the bracket as something different than us running away from Houston at the bubble.
Yeah, it penalizes the #7 but rewards the #1 seed. I think Lowe points were: i) there is not enough incentive for being #1 (being 1 or 2 is almost the same), ii) the risk of a really good team falling into 7 (due to injuries) and penalizing #1 (in the past falling all the way to 8 or below would be much harder than say, 7). The latter might create an escenario where the #1 seed ends up facing the former champion. Anyway, I see your point too. It's tricky, but in my opinion the #1 should be given priority if we really want to reward the achievment of being the best team during the season.

Seriously.

Either that, or make it so the play-in only determines which teams make the playoffs, but still keep the seeding by record.

The current format is broken.
Not enough reward for #1 and lots of uncertainty. Although it produces some fun games at the end, Lowe suggestion makes sense.

BTW, about the argument last night, I moved on quickly. I don't put people on ignore because I disagree with them. That's part of being in a board. I only ignore someone if they are being truly disrespectful, racist, a bad troll or something along those lines.

They are veterans, they can practice and be ready to go game 1. They might be able to play if it's important. That doesn't mean they are 100%. I would rather them get as close to 100% as possible then push to win this meaningless game risking injury and making them less healthy.

Who knows how the standings end up. Either way we have to beat the best in the West to make it anywhere.

You don't worry about other teams, take care of your business.

They are veterans, they can practice and be ready to go game 1.
AD looked awful his first few games back before he got into a groove. He's a veteran.

I don't care who you are. After a month off, it takes time to get a rhythm back. This has been historically true for damn near every player coming back from a lengthy injury.

I would define getting cute as not putting forth a strong effort to secure #1, and have said that for a while. I think our biggest issue, however, will be not having everyone integrated back in. If Don and Mike are really ready to go but we’re being extra cautious, I think it’s short-sighted. It’s sort of like last year when we had a brand new team and we sat most the guys for the preseason and didn’t built any rhythm or comfort, then tried to do it on opening night. Yeah, you could say that, because how long it really took to get everyone integrated, that a few preseason games would be meaningless in the end, but it certainly didn’t position ourselves to hit the ground running, and I’d say most of Conley’s struggles last year were mental. What if he were to have started with a couple strong games?

If you’re throwing Mike and Donovan out there after missing about 15 games and your opponent is the Lakers, then taking the approach of “oh, we can afford to take a couple games to shake off the rust” would be getting cute.
I agree with very little of that. But, I guess we will see what happens round one.

The FO is one thing but the players are another. I don't think the players care about the 1 seed. They want to get into the playoffs and prove themselves. But that's just my opinion of the situation.

I agree with very little of that. But, I guess we will see what happens round one.

The FO is one thing but the players are another. I don't think the players care about the 1 seed. They want to get into the playoffs and prove themselves. But that's just my opinion of the situation.
Well, that's not how Bojan put it in a recent post-game interview.