What's new

Should we be rooting against Hayward making all-NBA?

Carbon13

The new CBA includes a rule that designated players that do one of: make an All-NBA team or winning awards like MVP or Defensive Player of the Year can earn extra year on their contract and can make up to 35% of the salary cap. This rule was meant to incentivize stars to stay with their original teams. My question is, if Hayward makes an All-NBA team, should we sign him to a new max deal? What are the ramifications of Hayward taking 35% of our salary cap for up to 6 years?

No. If he makes all NBA, he will for sure sign with the jazz for a huge contract. It's the best thing that could happen.

I don't think he'd roll the dice on waiting. I think we give him a 5-year max this off-season... Maybe give him a PO on the final year.

No. If he makes all NBA, he will for sure sign with the jazz for a huge contract. It's the best thing that could happen.

He won't be eligible because he'll be a season short of required years in the NBA (thanks MJ). For him to be eligible he would have to decline his player option. We could then give him that as an extension in the middle of next season but I don't think they will have the cap room to do that. In order to get that big fat paycheck he'd have to play next year at his current salary.

Something I was thinking

Let's say Hayward does decline his option with the expectation of getting that mega max, and to allow the Jazz to bring in a free agent. In such a scenario who would be available this offseason that you would want?

He'd have to wait a year to get the super huge mega max. He'd probably opt out and sign a 1 year max if that is his desire.

I think it would be stupid of Hayward to sign a 1-year max just to position himself for a mega-super-duper max deal. If he were to suffer a career ending injury, he will have thrown away at least a $100M. I get it though...greed can cause people to make bad decisions.

I think it would be stupid of Hayward to sign a 1-year max just to position himself for a mega-super-duper max deal. If he were to suffer a career ending injury, he will have thrown away at least a $100M. I get it though...greed can cause people to make bad decisions.

5 yr 150 million vs 7 yr 240 million

I'm sure his deal would be 2 years with a player option after 1

5 yr 150 million vs 7 yr 240 million

I'm sure his deal would be 2 years with a player option after 1

Yeah I forgot about that. If Hayward doesn't make the all NBA team this year I bet he signs a 5 year deal for the max with us.

Yeah I forgot about that. If Hayward doesn't make the all NBA team this year I bet he signs a 5 year deal for the max with us.

Maybe but how much would he really be risking to sign a one and one. Maybe he suffers an injury bad enough that the Jazz aren't even willing to give him even four years at 30 million but I don't think it's very likely that he'll suffer an injury bad enough that the nets wouldn't.

What if he never makes all NBA?

At SF you have Leonard, James, durant, Giannis, George Anthony not to mention some pushing their way up like Wiggins Barnes and Winslow.

Every draft class has the potential to bring more competition.

Sent from my Z981 using JazzFanz mobile app

What if he never makes all NBA?

At SF you have Leonard, James, durant, Giannis, George Anthony not to mention some pushing their way up like Wiggins Barnes and Winslow.

Every draft class has the potential to bring more competition.

Sent from my Z981 using JazzFanz mobile app

IIRC if he makes the all star team 2 yrs in a row he would be eligible

I'm not certain but I think I remember something like that

I am.
I'm certain he will re-sign with us either way. Might as well be for less money.

Anyway we could convince Hayward of 4 years, 115M, at 28.75 per? A slight hometown discount.

Anyway we could convince Hayward of 4 years, 115M, at 28.75 per? A slight hometown discount.
Nice thought but players just don't take home town discounts nowadays. It's wishful thinking to expect players to do that but they just don't anymore. They'll get what the market dictates. Hayward is getting the most he possibly can from us. And I don't blame players for acting as such. Franchises ask for loyalty from players but the second a deal comes along that benefits the club and includes shipping said player off they'll do it without thinking twice. Both sides just need to act with honesty and integrity and do what's best for them and when both sides understand that, bitterness will less likely manifest.

"using your expiring assets to add depth to the squad rocks the boat too violently and may destroy our delicately balanced beamed cakk bakk" - me

Hayward signing somewhere else is more unlikely than any allstar level player signing with a team other than their current teams. But this is a business obviously, so anything can happen, will happen. But currently there absolutely is no reason for Hayward to sign with another franchise. He is the face of the franchise here, he gets what he wants. He is the floor general. For most of the league, Jazz means Hayward right now. I doubt he gets these conditions in another team.

I post, therefore I am.

Last edited: