What's new

Should we be rooting against Hayward making all-NBA?

Hayward signing somewhere else is more unlikely than any allstar level player signing with a team other than their current teams. But this is a business obviously, so anything can happen, will happen. But currently there absolutely is. O reason for Hayward to sign with another franchise. He is the face of the franchise here, he gets what he is wants. He is the floor general. For most of the league, Jazz means Hayward right now. I doubt he gets these conditions in another team.

I post, therefore I am.
I agree, the only other team I'd even think about is the Spurs if I'm Hayward. It's cute people think Hayward would go to Boston to reunite with his old coach but no only would he have to play second fiddle to little ballhog narcissist IT, who even knows if they mesh well. I think it was NAOS who mentioned it, the only way I see Hayward goes to Boston is if they think about packaging and trading IT now while his value is at the highest it'll ever be (before it's apparent you'll never win a championship with a player like him) and they get some great pieces that would work with a guy like Hayward.

"using your expiring assets to add depth to the squad rocks the boat too violently and may destroy our delicately balanced beamed cakk bakk" - me

I agree, the only other team I'd even think about is the Spurs if I'm Hayward. It's cute people think Hayward would go to Boston to reunite with his old coach but no only would he have to play second fiddle to little ballhog narcissist IT, who even knows if they mesh well. I think it was NAOS who mentioned it, the only way I see Hayward goes to Boston is if they think about packaging and trading IT now while his value is at the highest it'll ever be (before it's apparent you'll never win a championship with a player like him) and they get some great pieces that would work with a guy like Hayward.

"using your expiring assets to add depth to the squad rocks the boat too violently and may destroy our delicately balanced beamed cakk bakk" - me

Celtics would still need to build around him more if he is going to have a winning atmosphere in there since there are a lot of more fillers and depth especially in terms of scoring within the Jazz roster which means he does not have to rely on his scoring level to win games like OKC as an extreme example.

I post, therefore I am.

On paper he is a fitting piece for he Spurs but how many years has Pop left? Does he still have the same attitude and energy?

But anyways he would be great with Kawhi. Need a PG though. Then they can run their truck over the Warriors.

Personally I think that the Jazz attitude has shifted from rebuilding to win now and players like Joe Johnson and Boris Diaw will be replaced with more valuable pieces in the near future and things will start clicking even more.

I post, therefore I am.

Something I was thinking

Let's say Hayward does decline his option with the expectation of getting that mega max, and to allow the Jazz to bring in a free agent. In such a scenario who would be available this offseason that you would want?
It would be a choice between one of our existing players and somebody new. We aren't keeping everyone as it is.

Anyway we could convince Hayward of 4 years, 115M, at 28.75 per? A slight hometown discount.
I believe Hayward would take anything other than a max as an insult.

He won't be eligible because he'll be a season short of required years in the NBA (thanks MJ). For him to be eligible he would have to decline his player option. We could then give him that as an extension in the middle of next season but I don't think they will have the cap room to do that. In order to get that big fat paycheck he'd have to play next year at his current salary.

Could sign Hayward to a 1 year max contract with second year player option. Gives Hayward the ability to opt out and sign the megamax. He'd be betting on health and performance to earn the megamax after another year, so it is risky for Hayward.

Nice thought but players just don't take home town discounts nowadays. It's wishful thinking to expect players to do that but they just don't anymore. They'll get what the market dictates. Hayward is getting the most he possibly can from us. And I don't blame players for acting as such. Franchises ask for loyalty from players but the second a deal comes along that benefits the club and includes shipping said player off they'll do it without thinking twice. Both sides just need to act with honesty and integrity and do what's best for them and when both sides understand that, bitterness will less likely manifest.

Spurs players did for years.

They won titles doe. Jazz might be able to snag the 4th seed.... for their best season in... idk.

I get it but the philosophy still rings true and I think Lindsey tries to sell that. If they want to keep the core together, small sacrifices will have to be made. If I'm Lindsey, I think I'd say, "Listen, you know you are going to get max offers from multiple teams. We'll pay you the max and therefore more than other teams. If that's what you want, we'll do that right now. But I wouldn't be doing my job well if I didn't ask if you are willing to take a small discount for the sacrifice of the team..." I'd ask for his input on Hill, Favors, Exum, and so forth. I think his voice matters. I'd spell out the math for him. And go from there.

I get it but the philosophy still rings true and I think Lindsey tries to sell that. If they want to keep the core together, small sacrifices will have to be made. If I'm Lindsey, I think I'd say, "Listen, you know you are going to get max offers from multiple teams. We'll pay you the max and therefore more than other teams. If that's what you want, we'll do that right now. But I wouldn't be doing my job well if I didn't ask if you are willing to take a small discount for the sacrifice of the team..." I'd ask for his input on Hill, Favors, Exum, and so forth. I think his voice matters. I'd spell out the math for him. And go from there.
Well put

I think somebody mentioned All-Stars counting towards this Designated Veteran Player Exception. From what I have read it does not look like they do. Just All-NBA, DPOY, MVP honors.

A couple things:

1. I believe you have to be in the league 8 or 9 years before signing this extension. Hayward has 7 right now so he wouldn't be eligible this offseason as others have mentioned

2. Do we really think Hayward makes All-NBA this season?
LeBron, Durant, Leonard, Giannis, Butler, Draymond, Davis (unless he's a center) and Hayward is 7th/8th on the list of 6.

3. If Hayward DID make it, he would also have to make it next year. As you have to have an All-NBA the year before signing the deal (which he cannot do this summer because he is a year short as mentioned earlier) or you have to make it 2 of the last 3 years. Either way he would have to make it again to qualify.

4. With all this considered, if Hayward makes it on an All NBA team and believes he will make the team AGAIN, he could sign a 1+1 deal but it leaves a lot of money on the table shooting for the designated player exception that may not seem all that possible.

5. I mean, I think they would do it but it should be said, the Jazz also have to agree to sign Hayward to this exception.

Could sign Hayward to a 1 year max contract with second year player option. Gives Hayward the ability to opt out and sign the megamax. He'd be betting on health and performance to earn the megamax after another year, so it is risky for Hayward.

I don't see much risk. When is the last time a max level player went from that to worthless over the course of a season? Even if he ended next season injured some team is going to look at a player like Paul George, who totally f***** up his leg and bounced back, and be willing to pay up. Short of Gordon Hayward getting permanently paralyzed next season I don't see how he doesn't "walk away" with a four-year 30 million dollar contract.