What's new

Should we go full rebuild?

Should we go full rebuild?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
There is nothing wrong with making that admission. What would be worse is not admitting you made mistakes over the last few years and realizing that you may not be able to obtain the trajectory become a championship contender. Personally I'm worried that we are on more of a trajectory to be a middle to lower tier playoff team. A lot of people are saying to ignore what teams like the thunder, rockets, griz and spurs are doing and just focus on us but I think that is a big mistake. Those are the teams that will likely be the staples at the top of the west in the very near future and will have staying power. I like there talent quite a bit more than us currently and if we focus on win now I'm concerned we are unlikely to get the talent infusion to catch them. Yeah there is no guarantee we get that talent going full tank either but I like our chances more going that direction. I also think we could get a pretty massive haul from the nets for a Lauri and Sexton package.
You are right about the mistakes. It made zero sense to trade both Rudy and Donny - though one of them clearly had to go. Trading them both with a focus on draft picks instead of young talent made no sense. Trading them both and being caught in the middle 2 years in row made no sense. Blowing it up again right now would be just as ridiculous. Time to use our "assets" to do something real.

Personally I'm worried that we are on more of a trajectory to be a middle to lower tier playoff team.

Oh no! Wouldn't that be ****ing terrible if this franchise that has know nothing but championships the past 45 years had to make due with being a middle-tier playoff team? What in the world would us fans do? I know I'd probably trade all my Jazz gear for a Lakers LeBron jersey(you know he's still going to be there at 50) and call it a day.

Should have gone for Dejounte Murray at the deadline. Now the guy is balling out of his mind with Trae Young sidelined and will be priced out of everyone's reach in the trade market.

Tear it down and trade Lauri, Clarkson, and Sexton. I wonder if Lauri will have more value with his current low salary, or if we renegotiate and extend. The full rebuild will suck, but it’s going to be necessary to actually build a contender. Give heavy minutes to Keyonte, Brice, Taylor, Kessler, and the three rookies.

DA went just a step too far with Ochai/KO trade. Thought the Simone trade was fine but there was really no need to trade away KO/Ochai for just a late FRP(in a very weak draft) there. We have no spot/rotation minutes for three more rookies on the team and may as well tear it down at this point.

I wonder if Lauri will have more value with his current low salary, or if we renegotiate and extend.
If Lauri has a year left, he'll be valued as a one-year rental - so very low. Unless there are solid assurances to the buyer that he'll extend with them. Which probably won't be given unless it's a top-tier team. So obviously the value is much, much higher with a long-term contract in place.

I think it’s the middle scenario more than the others. It will be confusing and frustrating… expect complaining. Not even saying that is the wrong route… just think that’s the most frustrating for many fans.

If we can keep Lauri long term while acquiring a high draft pick next year, that could really be the best case scenario.

If we tank and get rid of Lauri and end up acquiring a #1 type guy, we will wish we had someone as good as Lauri to pair them with.

If we can keep Lauri long term while acquiring a high draft pick next year, that could really be the best case scenario.

If we tank and get rid of Lauri and end up acquiring a #1 type guy, we will wish we had someone as good as Lauri to pair them with.
I think that's the needle they may try to thread. Timeline becomes a real issue though for Lauri. He would still be able to contribute and would still have value if we moved to a younger player later.

I think that's the needle they may try to thread. Timeline becomes a real issue though for Lauri. He would still be able to contribute and would still have value if we moved to a younger player later.

I think you have to sit him down and make sure he is in board. You can give him examples of OKC and how SGA is probably happy they got Chet. If he's not on board or if you try and BS him then that could blow up on your face pretty quickly.

I think you have to sit him down and make sure he is in board. You can give him examples of OKC and how SGA is probably happy they got Chet. If he's not on board or if you try and BS him then that could blow up on your face pretty quickly.
An honest conversation would probably be what everyone thinks should happen. Though explaining tanking like Lauri has never heard of it and doesn't understand the concept does sound like an awful idea.

An honest conversation would probably be what everyone thinks should happen. Though explaining tanking like Lauri has never heard of it and doesn't understand the concept does sound like an awful idea.
Yeah, that's not what I meant.

If I were Lauri I wouldn't be on board, so I wouldn't blame him for not wanting to go that route. I also don't think the FO is obligated to discuss strategy with the players.

This is why even though I can see this as an attractive route as a fan, I'm not sure I can see it actually happening or working.

Unless there is an immediate one piece away contender who can give Lauri the max I'm not worried about losing him.

Utah is a great situation that wants him to be one of their main pieces. Utah will have cap space and assets moving forward.

<...>
Having said that, I also don’t believe in wasting a player’s prime nor do I believe with trying to compete for a half a year only to quit and tank for the other half. By doing this, the Jazz have essentially limited the rewards for trying to win or lose. The goal for winning is the play in. The goal for tanking is to get the 9th pick. Not a ton of reward either way.
That's it.
It's fairly obvious decisions have piled up not in a good way.

No, I don't think so.

But we should probably get rid of all of the non-Lauri and non-Dunn veteran rotation players. I love Sexton but I do not think he and Keyonte can co-exist defensively.

There is a guy on the Hornets that would unlock us at point with great passing ability and alot more. Lauri would excel playing alongside him on the court.