Votes: 9 18.8%
  • No, Gobert is DPOY

Votes: 13 27.1%
  • No, we need to add a small ball center

Votes: 13 27.1%
  • No, we won't get equal value

Votes: 16 33.3%

• Total voters

And here is the Kiss/Curse of Gobert. He is so dominant in locking down the paint that a team has to just say nah we'll do everything in our power to stay away from you. And that's the part of me that says don't trade Gobert. I think this comes down to 1 question.

Can you acquire better, longer, more athletic defenders to be on the floor with Gobert so when this small ball happens he's not a total liability and it doesn't kill your offense at the same time?
If the answer to that question is yes and you trust this (or a new) front office to do so then fine you don't trade Rudy.

But if the answer to that question is no then I think you trade Rudy. For what I don't know. If you are trading Rudy you have to make some major decisions.
Are you trading Rudy with the hopes of getting an already established player that can fit right in with Don and still compete right now?
Or are you trading him with the expectations of getting younger but not polished players/draft picks? If this is the case you probably think about moving half of the roster and going into a semi "tank"

And here is the Kiss/Curse of Gobert. He is so dominant in locking down the paint that a team has to just say nah we'll do everything in our power to stay away from you. And that's the part of me that says don't trade Gobert. I think this comes down to 1 question.

Can you acquire better, longer, more athletic defenders to be on the floor with Gobert so when this small ball happens he's not a total liability and it doesn't kill your offense at the same time?
If the answer to that question is yes and you trust this (or a new) front office to do so then fine you don't trade Rudy.

But if the answer to that question is no then I think you trade Rudy. For what I don't know. If you are trading Rudy you have to make some major decisions.
Are you trading Rudy with the hopes of getting an already established player that can fit right in with Don and still compete right now?
Or are you trading him with the expectations of getting younger but not polished players/draft picks? If this is the case you probably think about moving half of the roster and going into a semi "tank"
You’re trading Rudy for a younger promising player, picks, and salary filler (hopefully expiring). You don’t get better next year by doing this, but you hope to start getting some assets and younger pieces to fit around Mitchell to compete for a championship in 4-5 years.

But your real motive for doing so is to get out of paying Rudy 46 million dollars at age 34, because you don’t believe a Rudy core will ever win a championship.

To me, the question is do you think you can win a championship with a team where Rudy Gobert is your best or second best player and highest paid player? If not, you have to move him even if it makes you worse in the short term. Easy call.

Whether you trade him or not, the defense of the rest of the team has to improve. I'd focus on that before looking to deal him.
This. In spades. So trade the only guy we had with any defensive impact because he singlehandedly can't compensate for 4 mediocre defenders at a time. Yeah, makes sense.

Idiots.

I don't know but I'm seeing a lot of "This was just a nightmare matchup" on social media and I just don't want to hear it.

The Grizzlies offensive rating against us in Round 1 was well above their season average. The Nuggets torched us last year.

That's three series in a row where our defense has been putrid. Putrid even by a bad defensive team's standards in two of the three series.

We're paying Gobert to be a superstar on defense and not only is it not translating to the playoffs - our defense has been nightmarishly bad in that setting. That's a problem.
And it was orders of magnitude worse with Gobert on the bench. But I'm sure he's the problem, not the dozen mediocre to ****** defenders he was surrounded by.

He had every bit as bad a game as everyone else did tonight, no doubt. But the inability of the FO to add even a semblance of perimeter defense to help him was our downfall overall.

We can't trade Rudy until October 12 due to his extension. If we go that route, we gotta hope some team strikes out in free agency which will make them desperate for a big deal.

Gonna be a long summer.

Sent from my SM-G970U using JazzFanz mobile app

Yes, but with caveats - we can't sell him at 60%-70% of his value. Problem is he's a bit of fools gold. Looks great at first, but doesn't hold up under scrutiny. That's going to hurt his value, unless we can get him to a team that can punish teams that try to scheme around him. Unfortunately - we thought we had that kind of team this year, but Gobert is more limited than we wanted to admit. The other GMs in the league aren't dummies, so it limits even more so who we can potentially get a good trade with.

Yes, but with caveats - we can't sell him at 60%-70% of his value. Problem is he's a bit of fools gold. Looks great at first, but doesn't hold up under scrutiny. That's going to hurt his value, unless we can get him to a team that can punish teams that try to scheme around him. Unfortunately - we thought we had that kind of team this year, but Gobert is more limited than we wanted to admit. The other GMs in the league aren't dummies, so it limits even more so who we can potentially get a good trade with.
The trade is with Charlotte. They have a good facilitating PG in LaMelo in on a rookie deal for a while. They have a vet wing in Hayward and a few decent young players. With Rudy, they are a guaranteed playoff team.

I'm not sure what we get back outside of picks, but if Charlotte strikes out in free agency, and they have cap space, they are a prime trade candidate.

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app

Gobert cannot be traded until Oct. 12, when the signing restriction on his extension gets lifted.

This. In spades. So trade the only guy we had with any defensive impact because he singlehandedly can't compensate for 4 mediocre defenders at a time. Yeah, makes sense.

Idiots.
So tell us idiots how we surround Rudy with competent defenders that can shoot well enough to not compromise spacing with the amount of money we are paying Rudy?

I think you’re right that there’s not a chance in hell a Gobert trade is even considered right now. But most people advocating a trade aren’t doing so on the grounds that Rudy’s play is “part of the problem.” It’s just that a solution to the problem is exceedingly hard to find with him being paid what he is.

Rudy isn’t the problem if he’s surrounded by the right players, but I don’t see a path to surrounding him with the right players short of just getting really lucky in the draft or something (where we don’t even have a pick next year).

We’re asset poor, have aging guys with minimal trade value, and have cap issues. Barf. We’re basically locked into a core that I don’t think has a chance of ever winning a title, waiting until it completely ages out, and starting a full rebuild when Don leaves.

The elephant in the room is there’s really no realistic way to fix the personnel problem this offseason.
I'm working on ideas. There are solutions out there, but we have to be very intentional.

For me, if we keep Rudy, we need more bulldogs. We need guys who will scrap. Guys who are at least average on offense. Jackson, Mann, Beverly, Batum, Morris are all guys like that we just saw.

I want Terry Rozier. I have wanted him for ages now. He's a high end version of all the guys I listed above. He's the type guy that wouldn't stand for our recent collapses. He picks people up when they need a lift.

I may sound like broken record but we lost this series because we had no reliable second PG and no player capable of playing 5 in small ball situation. I mean Ersan may have been that guy but what good is he if Snyder does not play him. How can we fix this in off season? Who can we get to play small ball 5 and we may actually need two PG if we are not keeping Conley?

Combination of Personnel and coaching IMO. Who is telling jordan clarkson to pick up jackson 6 feet beyond the arc? Who is telling Rudy to guard Mann over Beverly? Who isn't giving Rudy any rest in the 2nd half when he's clearly gassed?

This loss was on Snyder. As long as the jazz hang on to him the 2nd round will be our ceiling. He's our Dwayne Casey.

I may sound like broken record but we lost this series because we had no reliable second PG and no player capable of playing 5 in small ball situation. I mean Ersan may have been that guy but what good is he if Snyder does not play him. How can we fix this in off season? Who can we get to play small ball 5 and we may actually need two PG if we are not keeping Conley?
We should have gotten Batum for minimum when we had the chance. He could play for or with Rudy.

I've been championing his cause for years only to get ridiculed for it.

The reoccurring theme I see here is "let's just get a guy who can play in small ball situations". At the time of the signing, the Jazz knew every team in the league can potentially play 5 out small ball. So what else does that make it other than a bad signing. Rudy Gobert is making 40 million dollars a year now, not 20, that means there is no impactful option other than him. He is your franchise player, if you ever have to bench him, under any circumstance, you ****ed up.

If another team is offering a lot for him, you trade him, but let's be real no one will. The best the Jazz can do now is patch jobs to try and retain their punchers chance of a ring in the next 3 years. Getting some lanky wings would be a small help I think, but for the money you can afford, they would be devoid in other areas like playmaking and shooting.

Since the Jazz weren't predicted as a top 3 seed, no one should be totally depressed here. The Jazz just ended closer to what everyone saw in their personnel at the start of the season. Those weaknesses were hidden well in the regular season by Quin and company, but playoff time always exposes weaknesses if you have them.