What's new

SI top 100 players: 100-51

And Dirk at 31? I love their reasoning

+ A cultural anchor whose value to a franchise extends well beyond the court
+ Solid passer well-versed in solving a variety of coverages
– Can be targeted in the pick-and-roll and forced to defend in space
– Now necessary to mind his minutes and games played to endure the long regular season

So basically, he is a GOAT player so we put him at 31.

Quick comparison of McCollum and Hood's sophomore years per 100 possessions. It's pretty close, and I'd say Hood was better. Maybe next year Hood will get the opportunity that McCollum got this year.

RkPlayerSeasonAgeGGSMPFGFGAFG%3P3PA3P%2P2PA2P%FTFTAFT%ORBDRBTRBASTSTLBLKTOVPFPTSORtgDRtg
1Rodney Hood2015-1623797925418.520.2.4203.39.3.3595.110.9.4723.64.2.8600.84.85.54.41.50.32.64.223.9109107
2C.J. McCollum2014-15236239738.319.1.4362.97.35.411.8.4602.73.8.6990.74.04.83.42.30.42.54.222.2103105

[thead] [/thead]
[td].396[/td]

RkPlayerSeasonAgeGMPPERTS%3PArFTrORB%DRB%TRB%AST%STL%BLK%TOV%USG%OWSDWSWSWS/48OBPMDBPMBPMVORP
1Rodney Hood2015-162379254114.1.542.462.2061.810.56.114.41.50.510.521.53.42.56.0.1121.6-0.90.71.7
2C.J. McCollum2014-15236297313.1.534.381.2001.68.35.010.32.30.610.820.50.71.11.8.089-0.4-0.3-0.70.3

[thead] [/thead]

So Favors is 28 and Hayward is 27. Cute.

Not gonna bother looking who they put ahead of them, as that is not a path to happiness.

So Favors is 28 and Hayward is 27. Cute.

Not gonna bother looking who they put ahead of them, as that is not a path to happiness.

It's silly IMO. I'll list some to piss you off lol cause I'm angry myself.

Mike Conley at 25, Marc Gasol at 22, DeAndre Jordan (AKA most overrated player in the league IMO) at 20, Klay Thompson at 19, Al Horford at 18(!!!), Millsap at 15, Lowry at 14. I think both Hayward and Favors are at the very least arguably better than all of those guys. I don't know how you can say DeAndre Jordan is better than Gordon Hayward.. he just basks in the fact that he plays next to CP3.

[h=1]27. Gordon Hayward, SF, Jazz[/h]
As his teammates took turns missing long stretches with injuries, Gordon Hayward delivered another strong and steady season (19.7 PPG, 5 RPG, 3.7 APG) that was easy to overlook because the Jazz failed to crack the playoffs. A versatile wing who has grown more comfortable and effective as a lead scorer and ball-handler, the 26-year-old Hayward deserves the “Franchise Player” tag, even if he’s never earned All-Star or All-NBA honors and even if he’s not quite potent enough to be included among the NBA’s most fearsome wing scorers. The key to Hayward’s value lies in his durability, his willingness to fill in the gaps for his team, and his lack of major weaknesses. During his six-year career, Hayward has appeared in 93% of his team’s games, avoiding the type of major health issues that often impact high-usage, high-minute wings. Indeed, since emerging as Utah’s leading scorer in 2013–14, he’s logged more total minutes than all but five NBA players. During that time, he’s proven to be an adaptable offensive tool: he works on the ball as a pick-and-roll option and off-the-ball as a spot-up and catch-and-shoot threat. Defensively, he lags a bit behind the NBA’s top two-way wings in terms of sheer physicality, but he’s good at containing and directing ball-handlers and he can switch seamlessly as needed on the perimeter. While Hayward might fall short on the “Can he be the No. 1 guy on a championship team?” question, he absolutely aces the “Would he be able to make strong contributions regardless of the players around him?” test. It’s no wonder that his name started percolating in trade rumors earlier this summer, more than a year before he is eligible for free agency. (Last year: No. 31)

+ He covered 202.9 miles during the 2015–16 season, second only to C.J. McCollum (205.7)
+ He’s made progress refining his game under Quin Snyder, upping his free throw rate and three-point rate while cutting down considerably on his long twos
– His clutch numbers indicate that he was asked to do more than he can handle late in games. Over the last two seasons, he shot 7-for-33 on threes and committed 36 turnovers (versus 24 assists) in 316 clutch minutes
– He can opt out of the final year of his four-year, $63 million rookie extension and become an unrestricted free agent next summer

[h=1]28. Derrick Favors, PF, Jazz[/h]
The Jazz are zigging where a lot of teams are zagging, and Derrick Favors’s comprehensive two-way game makes it all possible. With so many teams hoping to play smaller and faster, the 25-year-old Favors makes for a nightly mismatch. His strength, honed scoring ability and motor are tough to handle for perimeter-oriented fours, as he can pound the glass on both ends and work his way to high-percentage shots against undersized defenders. At the same time, Favors (16.4 PPG, 8.1 RPG, 1.5 BPG) moves well defensively for a man of his size, meaning he can be played for stretches alongside a true center without being exposed. As a result, the Jazz can trot out traditional lineups featuring Favors and Rudy Gobert that control the tempo, force lots of tough and contested looks, dominate the glass and suck the life out of the opposition. But, wait, there’s more: Favors can also shift up to play center, giving coach Quin Snyder a strong backline defender at his disposal for all 48 minutes. This year, Utah should be able to downshift into spread looks more easily thanks to the additions of Boris Diaw and Joe Johnson, plus growth from Trey Lyles. With extra space, Favors should be in even better position to operate one-on-one in the paint against overmatched defenders. If Utah takes a step forward in the standings, as expected, it will be fascinating to see how the rest of the West will handle matchups with Favors in the postseason. Do you stay big in hopes of neutralizing him, thereby going along with Utah’s preferred style? Or, do you try to go small in hopes of playing him or Gobert off the court while running the risk that he might pound you into submission? (Last year: No. 37)

+ One of just eight players to average at least one steal and one block last season, he graded out well defensively by the major advanced metrics and can comfortably handle both fours and fives
+ His physicality and skill make him hard to stop when he works up a head of steam going to the hoop, whether he’s making decisive moves from the post, crashing the offensive glass, cutting hard to the basket off the ball, or rolling with purpose in the two-man game
– He missed a career-high 20 games last season, including an extended stretch due to a back injury
– He forms a beastly pairing with Rudy Gobert on the defensive end, but he needs to continue to improve his shooting if the Jazz are going to find enough offensive spacing with that duo.

It's silly IMO. I'll list some to piss you off lol cause I'm angry myself.

Mike Conley at 25, Marc Gasol at 22, DeAndre Jordan (AKA most overrated player in the league IMO) at 20, Klay Thompson at 19, Al Horford at 18(!!!), Millsap at 15, Lowry at 14. I think both Hayward and Favors are at the very least arguably better than all of those guys. I don't know how you can say DeAndre Jordan is better than Gordon Hayward.. he just basks in the fact that he plays next to CP3.

All of that said, this is a lot more respect than we've gotten in the past, and you could argue both higher or lower for any of our guys. It's a matter of opinion, and with the respect we've been getting, I should hold my toungue. It's been a while since people have thought we have a top 30(or 35) player, let alone 3 at the same time, while having two other top 100 player round out the starting lineup. Go out and prove your position, dudes.

I cant hate on Favors/Hayward rating since they havent won playoff games yet.
That's my thought.

For those complaining, with increased wins comes increased ratings. If they can get to the 2nd round then I see Hood, Hayward, Favors and Gobert all climbing even higher.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

That's my thought.

For those complaining, with increased wins comes increased ratings. If they can get to the 2nd round then I see Hood, Hayward, Favors and Gobert all climbing even higher.

Sorry, I was distracted when I was finishing my thought on this.

If the Jazz make the 2nd round then I would expect at least Hayward in the top 20 with a chance that Favors gets there too. I also see Gobert in the top 30 and Hood in the top 40.

I'm excited to see what Hood brings this season. The end of last season afforded us the ability to see something special in the kid. Let'e hope he capitalizes and turns into the player we all want him to be.

Go Hood!