What's new

Simone Fontecchio Two-year deal

Maybe Sept 6 will unleash the log jam. It sounds like part of the front office wants to run it back and win as many games as possible this season.

I'm hoping that's just posturing. If not, those front office members that want to keep him and try to be competitive next year are idiots.
Swim with the current and you get further.

sometimes you have to go the wrong direction fast to get to the right place.
Yeah but sometimes you have to leave the right place and go in the wrong direction slowly to get back to the right place

Ok I think I am confusing myself.

I don't think competing is necessarily a bad choice, it's just one that has less room for error. If you told me the Jazz keep Don and in two years they have a team that can get past the first round I would not be shocked. Really I just want a complete rebuild because they are fun (for me) in their own way and Utah hasn't had that in a while

Who knows who becomes available in the next year or two and Utah has the ability to put together good trade packages.

The funny **** would be if we kept Don then a big name becomes available on the trading block and the two rumored teams competing for the player are the Jazz and Knicks and Utah beats them out, leading to Don ultimately never signing with the Knicks.

I think Don is probably like 75% out the door when it comes to Utah, but I don't think it's to the point that it's irreparable to get him back to 100% committed to Utah (da super max). If it gets that far I would expect a more formal trade request, which might eventually come.

I still think Don's best interest is to stay in Utah until his final year then request out. That gives him flexibility to act like he always wanted to be in Utah if Ainge is able to pull off some master team building moves and Smith is willing to super max him.

Likewise I think it's probably in Utah best interest to keep Donovan for another year to fully asses the market and what's possible. Of course if the Knicks come with a godfather offer you take it, but I don't think the offer quality is going to be any better now than it will be next off season if the Knicks are committed to not budging.

Utah currently isn't in a position of power. I don't think they are in a position of weakness either, but I think their position likely gets better next year. If the Knicks are mediocre this year Utah's position strengthens. If Utah is able to make some good moves and plays better than expected, their position strengthens. I think we all expect the Knicks to be at best a play in team, and don't see a whole lot of scenarios where they overachieve, so I think it's a relatively safe strategy.

I think Don is probably like 75% out the door when it comes to Utah, but I don't think it's to the point that it's irreparable to get him back to 100% committed to Utah (da super max). If it gets that far I would expect a more formal trade request, which might eventually come.

I still think Don's best interest is to stay in Utah until his final year then request out. That gives him flexibility to act like he always wanted to be in Utah if Ainge is able to pull off some master team building moves and Smith is willing to super max him.

Likewise I think it's probably in Utah best interest to keep Donovan for another year to fully asses the market and what's possible. Of course if the Knicks come with a godfather offer you take it, but I don't think the offer quality is going to be any better now than it will be next off season if the Knicks are committed to not budging.

Utah currently isn't in a position of power. I don't think they are in a position of weakness either, but I think their position likely gets better next year. If the Knicks are mediocre this year Utah's position strengthens. If Utah is able to make some good moves and plays better than expected, their position strengthens. I think we all expect the Knicks to be at best a play in team, and don't see a whole lot of scenarios where they overachieve, so I think it's a relatively safe strategy.
The issue is if he isn’t super max eligible then we can’t extend him… the cba extension we can offer will be less than he can get with the cap jump coming… so he will lose money theoretically. So eventually in 3 years he would be an unrestricted free agent and we’d have very little advantage over another team. You also may end up paying him like 60M a year under a super max… cap is rising but I’d don’t really see that as ideal. As noted you can wait. I think the 2023 draft could be real good so collecting one more pick and improving our pick in this draft is kind of ideal. These things can change if dudes end up sucking or get hurt.

We can wait but there are real costs. Bogey/Bev have trade value now and are expiring. Nothing says you can’t move them but Don won’t want to suck. We’d also have to do something a little better at center. There is also the chance Donovan gets hurt. Then there is the cost of getting say the 10-16th pick versus a top 5 pick. I also do feel like there is a no -zero chance Don gets exposed a bit. Those Rudy screens are no joke. The floor won’t be anymore spread. It’s going to be a new system… and when things get tough Don tends to revert to taking tough shots.

I don’t think we have to move him… but if we get 75-80% of The Godfather offer then I think you take it and the other stuff you lost will be recovered and then some from the other stuff. If the offer is truly 2 unprotected picks and a couple of the protected picks from NY plus Quickley/Toppin I’m probably fine passing… as long as we still do some sort of Westbrook deal with the Lakers (I’m convinced we can get 2027 and 2029 picks from them). If we can wait until next year the Knicks may get more desperate or another suitor ponies up. I think Charlotte and Toronto can put up good offers if they want to make a push.

Give me 3 unprotected Knicks picks plus 2 of their other picks and a swap in 2023 with the Wolves pick… Or 4 unprotected Knicks picks and Toppin/Quickley and I’m good. I may take less if I know I can do another deal simultaneously and the Don trade is holding it up.

I just can’t see a “are they trading Donovan” year as a whole lot of fun. Especially if we are a 35-45 win team.

Good choice for the Jazz. I start to think we may keep Don, trade as much as we can other player and with a bit of luck at next draft + one good FA, we may be good in one year from now. I know it's a risky strategy but i'm not sure getting all-in for picks is less risky.