What's new

Simone Fontecchio Two-year deal

So I guess this dispels any idea that we’re tanking…
That's what I'm thinking
He's coming here in his prime to play and win for a bigger contract
Don't think he wants to sit and watch

Meh. This doesn't change things one way or another. We still need to field a team. Maybe we find a diamond in the rough. Maybe we don't.

Tank for one year and if we can get lucky with 2023 draft and get the guys we want(3FRPs already and another FRP incoming with the DM trade). Why not start competing in 2024? OKC owns our 2024 FRP after all I know it's top 10 protected but still

Oh, he is a fun dude. Much better option than anyone on the SL team.

Wonder how long we'll have to wait for local confirmation on this.

The word was out just a few hours ago that he was headed to the NBA, but all the speculation was on the Lakers. Now we have one report that it's the Jazz (though still in future tense). I'm guessing this report to the Jazz is likely right, but I'll wait for local confirmation before I start figuring out where he fits into the lineup.

The timing of this deal is strange to me since any Mitchell deal will entail that we take back a lot more players than we send out so there will be a numbers crunch on roster spots for a short period of time. I would guess that this is an agreed upon deal that may not be signed for a little while until we get a few things sorted out. Personally if it is one or the other I would prefer to have Juancho back rather than signing this guy but hopefully Juancho is still in our future plans. On a tanking team where he can get a decent amount of touches I think he could build some decent trade value.

You want to tank but you don't want complete scrubs out there. You need to field some talent to have a watchable product that can actually be competitive in games they lose.

Yep. You want guys that still have some talent and can produce when force fed minutes so they can get locked in as future role players for us or more likely trade bait.

Not sure if you’re serious:

-if you are; how is signing a dude from Europe (that went undrafted) - and way after anyone else could’ve signed him if they wanted to - ANY indication whatsoever that the Jazz are not tanking? The Jazz are likely to go into the season without any legit rotation SFs, so they at least need warm bodies to try out. This looks like exactly that.

-if you are joking; kinda funny.

Tank for one year and if we can get lucky with 2023 draft and get the guys we want(3FRPs already and another FRP incoming with the DM trade). Why not start competing in 2024? OKC owns our 2024 FRP after all I know it's top 10 protected but still
If they nuke this (and I think they will), even if they get very lucky in 2023, the Jazz will likely have a **** record for at least two years.

The Jazz won’t have to try to lose games if they’re mostly greenhorns out there.

Regarding the signing:

This is exactly what the Jazz need to do regardless of the path they take. They will be cratered at SF to start the year and just kinda need anything resembling that. Since they will not acquire such a player through any path besides scouring the scrap heap, then you grab from the heap and see what you got. I am hopeful that Balmaro comes around (he’s a more reliable jumper away from being a VERY valuable role player), but there’s no certainty he pans out and if he does it probably takes a few years of development.