What's new

Simone Fontecchio Two-year deal

Well this should be interesting to see what Ainge has up his sleeve now
Fontecchio is a ready to play piece maybe even could start or get sizable minutes

Big hell yeah on this. Another advantage to rebuilding is you can become a destination for players (mostly international, but also UDFAs) trying to get on a team and get minutes.

The timing of this deal is strange to me since any Mitchell deal will entail that we take back a lot more players than we send out so there will be a numbers crunch on roster spots for a short period of time. I would guess that this is an agreed upon deal that may not be signed for a little while until we get a few things sorted out. Personally if it is one or the other I would prefer to have Juancho back rather than signing this guy but hopefully Juancho is still in our future plans. On a tanking team where he can get a decent amount of touches I think he could build some decent trade value.
Could also signify the Jazz have a pretty good idea what they are getting from NY. Or not.

Reminds me of the time the Spurs signed this scrub from the Greek league for a year in the season Robinson was injured, by the name of Dominique Wilkins.

If they nuke this (and I think they will), even if they get very lucky in 2023, the Jazz will likely have a **** record for at least two years.

The Jazz won’t have to try to lose games if they’re mostly greenhorns out there.
Most rebuilds, even with consecutive seasons with high picks, tend to be 3 years before really starting to win again, and 3-5 years before contending, unless you are lucky enough to get LeBron James, but there are far more Olowokandis than LeBrons unfortunately. So I am planning on 3 years of tank-type records before we get the ensemble that can push us forward again. Hopefully during that time we get the franchise's first ever actual NBA #1 pick, that would be cool. And hopefully it isn't Olowokandi or Oden or Bennett. We need a "next LeBron" kind of player, and if we are lucky and get someone maybe even 80% of that, then we can compete again, but I am planning for 3-5 years of full-on suck to moderate-suck before we really start winning again.

Maybe we can do it sooner than this, maybe they get a cannot miss top 3 prospect and can then parlay other assets into the right supporting cast of young up and coming guys and savvy vets that get us into the big dance, but I am playing the odds and preparing for 3-5 years of purgatory before coming back into the light.

Most rebuilds, even with consecutive seasons with high picks, tend to be 3 years before really starting to win again, and 3-5 years before contending, unless you are lucky enough to get LeBron James, but there are far more Olowokandis than LeBrons unfortunately. So I am planning on 3 years of tank-type records before we get the ensemble that can push us forward again. Hopefully during that time we get the franchise's first ever actual NBA #1 pick, that would be cool. And hopefully it isn't Olowokandi or Oden or Bennett. We need a "next LeBron" kind of player, and if we are lucky and get someone maybe even 80% of that, then we can compete again, but I am planning for 3-5 years of full-on suck to moderate-suck before we really start winning again.

Maybe we can do it sooner than this, maybe they get a cannot miss top 3 prospect and can then parlay other assets into the right supporting cast of young up and coming guys and savvy vets that get us into the big dance, but I am playing the odds and preparing for 3-5 years of purgatory before coming back into the light.

We will have at minimum 3 first round picks next year in one of the best drafts in the past two decades. That’s not even counting if we get the Knicks/Mavericks 1sts in 2023 or others from moving other players.

We really need to get a top-5 pick in 2023 though. We can guarantee that by having the worst record in the league which may not be hard to do after we trade every one.

We will have at minimum 3 first round picks next year in one of the best drafts in the past two decades. That’s not even counting if we get the Knicks/Mavericks 1sts in 2023 or others from moving other players.

We really need to get a top-5 pick in 2023 though. We can guarantee that by having the worst record in the league which may not be hard to do after we trade every one.
Yes, I am very excited about that, and I am also tempering my expectations. That is great we will potentially have some high picks in a good draft. The odds of us picking a guy that is capable of taking us to the promised land in shorter than 3-5 years are pretty tall. We went to the playoffs the year Mitchell was drafted, but that was largely because we were already built to be a playoff team and we needed someone to plug the hole that Hayward left. But expecting a newly built team to get anywhere near contention within any kind of a short time frame, is just wishful thinking, that is unless your #1 pick is LeBron James. Since there is no LeBron in this next drat we are likely to take a few years to get the team assembled and the experience needed for the young players to really compete for a ring. 3-5 years is pretty normal for a rebuild for this reason, and even then many teams do not reach true contention, even with lots of high picks. I am thinking we have a better org than most so we will be contenders again, but it won't be in a year. It will take a few years to get us there.

I like the signing. I don’t think there is anything to read into it big picture at all. I think they added some talent at a price they liked. He won’t hurt the tank at all. If he does it’s because he’s really good… so you got a really good player on the cheap.

I wonder if Jared Bulter just pulled a Bolomboy this summer and played himself off the roster.
Well he didn’t shoot a good percentage but he did everything else pretty well in my book. Comparing his game to Bolmaro, they both obviously struggled in the shooting dept (both got progressively better though); I thought that JB was the better facilitator (his oop passes are next level); but Bolmaro played the better D.