What's new

So.... what teams out there need a center?

I wouldn’t trade a center but I would consider turning one of our combo guards into something resembling a pg. not that he’s the most point guardy guy but Brogdon is a guy I’m more interested in after watching the first two preseason games.

I wouldn’t trade a center but I would consider turning one of our combo guards into something resembling a pg. not that he’s the most point guardy guy but Brogdon is a guy I’m more interested in after watching the first two preseason games.
Did you happen to read the Tony Jones piece from two days ago? I am very suspicious that one came out of his own head.

He didnt quote sources but was very specific and definitive in things like:
- Dunn starting would probably take Sexton out of the rotation (why would he name Sexton specifically?)
- George's areas of development, including how he needs to learn to get over his mistakes and give himself some grace (now does that sound like something that a reporter says without hearing it from elsewhere?)

If that article is based on some heart to heart with Hardy, then it seems like they just have to consolidate. Dunn has been too good to ignore and might be our best option, George is NBA ready (offensively) so he needs minutes, Clarkson is obviously too good to be benched, THT has been the best off the dribble scorer plus he is young and on a contract year, Sexton works hard and is too talented to be deep bench.

So if we trade for a guy, be sure to send 2 guys out. Or then make 1 for 1 trade but the guy we bring in is some raw guy with upside so he can be a deep bench project.

Did you happen to read the Tony Jones piece from two days ago? I am very suspicious that one came out of his own head.

He didnt quote sources but was very specific and definitive in things like:
- Dunn starting would probably take Sexton out of the rotation (why would he name Sexton specifically?)
- George's areas of development, including how he needs to learn to get over his mistakes and give himself some grace (now does that sound like something that a reporter says without hearing it from elsewhere?)

If that article is based on some heart to heart with Hardy, then it seems like they just have to consolidate. Dunn has been too good to ignore and might be our best option, George is NBA ready (offensively) so he needs minutes, Clarkson is obviously too good to be benched, THT has been the best off the dribble scorer plus he is young and on a contract year, Sexton works hard and is too talented to be deep bench.

So if we trade for a guy, be sure to send 2 guys out. Or then make 1 for 1 trade but the guy we bring in is some raw guy with upside so he can be a deep bench project.
I would be in on Brogdon and think a straight swap could work. It may not but it would save Porty some dollars and give them a more long term piece. With Malcolm the issue is injuries… well if he misses time we have guys that can step in… so you either get high level play or dev minutes. He is also more positionally fluid… or at least he fits better with our other guards.

I love Sexton but I’m worried about him and the fit right now.

I don't trade KO unless they are getting a playmaking PG in return. KO might look like tall Randal from Clerks but he's currently the best PG on the roster.

Kessler isn't going anywhere unless it's part of a star package.

Collins can go but they are probably stuck with that contract until he shows he's back to the player he was the first few years in the league.

Sexton for Brogdon works financially but Portland wouldn't want Collin anymore than they wanted Herro and his contract. They are already committed to their 3 young guards. They would likely ask for a young frontcourt player with potential. Maybe Ainge could send expirings + pick(s) to Portland?

I don't trade KO unless they are getting a playmaking PG in return. KO might look like tall Randal from Clerks but he's currently the best PG on the roster.

Kessler isn't going anywhere unless it's part of a star package.

Collins can go but they are probably stuck with that contract until he shows he's back to the player he was the first few years in the league.

Sexton for Brogdon works financially but Portland wouldn't want Collin anymore than they wanted Herro and his contract. They are already committed to their 3 young guards. They would likely ask for a young frontcourt player with potential. Maybe Ainge could send expirings + pick(s) to Portland?
With KO there is also a play where he signs for like 7-8M a year if there isn't anything big out there and you have a good solid cost effective vet.

I could see Portland wanting Collin as he will likely be more okay with a bench role on a bad team than Brogdon would be and he would save them $10M over the next two years. Problem is if there is a delta in value we don't have anything small to make that up... we need to get change for $100 so we can massage some of these deals.

If we want to consolidate a little and get a vet leader... I think Sexton, Simone, Samanic to the Heat for Lowry is a deal they would have some interest in. Gets us some additional cap space... saves Miami a ton of money in tax. Lowry has been grumbly in Miami so he may be okay with it... if he is a starter. I wouldn't enjoy the corpse of Lowry all that much but he is a guy that knows how to win... IDK prolly just need to see Collin versus a non-clippers team and take a chill pill.

KO might end up being the connector that makes this team work (and I'm not a KO fan).
A good point guard from another team might be the connector that makes this team work as well. If our backup center gets us that starting point guard then i think that could be cool.