What's new

So... what was the backup plan?

Sneakers

Going into this off season I knew there was a decent chance of losing Hayward ... where there's smoke, there's fire, that type of thing. I figured the front office was probably preparing for this possibility as well, so I decided that I would base the off season on whether DL had a solid contingency in case Hayward bolts.

And ... well, it sort of seems like there was basically 0 contingency planning. Doesn't it? We made moves with an eye on keeping him, but nothing since. The FO seemed as floored as everyone else that he peaced out. Was there no backup plan? Before you say Otto Porter, he was going to be matched no matter what and in fact was matched by Washington. I don't think that's a good enough main backup plan. And I understand the not making a move for the sake of making a move philosophy ... but we've done zero to improve the team since then.

Were we this unprepared for the possibility of Hayward leaving? That's disappointing to me. I guess in my imagination, if/once it became clear that Hayward was leaving, we would pull the trigger on Phase 2 Plan B and have a clear sense of new direction. Instead, I don't sense any new direction - only paralyzation. I believe DL and the front office are good at what they do, and I trust them, but this shell shocked state since the Indecision has been pretty disheartening. Feels like we have a lame duck team and there's nothing we can do about it.

I think the backup plan was Gallinari but that was always a long shot because Miami and LA both wanted him.

I think the backup plan was Gallinari but that was always a long shot because Miami and LA both wanted him.

If that's the case, not very good planning to have two long shot backup plans right? Especially since Hayward was at best (even without hindsight) a 50% shot of returning.

Yeah this is not shaping up to be the FO's best off-season. Got caught with their pants down. You could even argue that they drafted with and eye to keeping Haybastard. If they were moving around for draft picks why not get a guy they feel can replace a guy you might lose. Bad planning all around really.

Hayward was 30m dollars in limbo, its hard to make a backup plan with 30%+ of your salary as an unknown.
Ultimately it was the wrong call not to trade him since he left, but so hard to do that when the Jazz were
rolling people with a healthy Gobert/Hayward/Hill

I think we are beyond plan C at this point and back to roll with who you got as the major thrust of the plan. Burks, Favors, Hood, Rubio, Ingles, Exum are all pieces that could substantially increase in value. Lightning could strike. It's not our first choice of plans, but its what we have left. That's what has been the most frustrating is our plan A also made sure we couldn't execute plan B and maybe C as well.

Sneakers, before you attack the FO for having no backup plan, you have to consider timing.

Any backup plan could only be put into place AFTER Hayward made his decision. The Jazz had ZERO cap space. They could only clear up room to sign a FA by renouncing all cap holds. And you can't renounce Hayward until he says he's not returning. Unfortunately, any decent FA's are cutting deals on the 1st and 2nd. They're not waiting around to be Plan B's for Utah. Simply a no-win situation for Lindsey.

I think there were contingency plans that were derailed by the indecision through the first few days of free agency.

Plan A was always to keep ****Face and it was a calculated risk to table pursuing alternate plans while he was visiting other teams and considering his options. It ended up backfiring.

Hard for me to blame the FO for this, since it's likely the same course I would have taken if I felt confident about ****Face staying (though maybe they had bad info).

Also hard for me to be too bummed since the alleged "backup plans" (Gallinari, Porter, etc.) don't excite me all that much. To use the popular cliche, I don't think they really "move the needle" all that much from a long-term standpoint.

With Rudy locked up for 4 years, I actually prefer the approach of taking a step back, having more clarity on Hood, Favors, Rubio and Exum next offseason, and using our cap room/assets at that point to strategically build around a carefully selected nucleus going forward (in which case the massive TPE could have been extremely useful. **** you Ainge).

Yeah this is not shaping up to be the FO's best off-season. Got caught with their pants down. You could even argue that they drafted with and eye to keeping Haybastard. If they were moving around for draft picks why not get a guy they feel can replace a guy you might lose. Bad planning all around really.

I think they took BPA. Mitchell was always their #1 target. He fit the model with/without Hayward of having the best defense in the NBA. I don't completely see what DL and Quin see in Bradley. But if rumors were correct and SA was about to draft him, that certainly puts his value right there. And Utah definitely needs a player behind Rudy. The draft was strong in guards and bigs. Utah got one of each.

I really think the plan was to shoot for the stars: re-sign Hayward and then hope for a S&T for Millsap. Neither happened. But it was worth trying. It would have made Utah a contender. Now it's time to regroup, evaluate current assets and work on something at the deadline or next summer. A setback for sure, but I really don't see what Utah could have done differently with the Hayward situation.

As for a Hayward replacement, Jazz DO have one. His name is Hood. He's capable of scoring as many points. He's also a better shooter from 3PT range, IMO - just inconsistent. Defensively not as good. Hopefully Rudy can make up for that.

Last edited:
The main contingency plans were likely Otto Porter and Danillo Gallinari. Unfortunately Haywood's publicity stunt decision took too long and the Jazz had no opportunity to even meet with them. They had already made their decisions before Haywood announced his. After those two there was nobody really available in free agency at SF who would make a significant difference. Rudy Gay wanted to play for a contender. Snell already made his decision, Tucker already made his decision. I think the Jazz were forced to go into a patient mode and explore all options. There wasn't an immediate counter move to make the way everything worked out.

In retrospect people can point to signs about Goldie wanting to leave, but he had huge financial incentives to keep the Jazz believing he was staying. We don't know what he told Lindsey or Quin behind closed doors. If he had tipped his hand, and Boston was not bidding against anyone he might have ended up with a smaller contract. Ironically, after everyone bid him to the max, he did take less.

I hope the Jazz step down off their moral high ground and start recruiting free agents year round like everyone else does.

Losing Gordan is a Blessing in disguise. We found out Hayward was already checking out but waited till the Jazz had no options before letting them know making him a slimy double agent Stevens meat puke face trader.we dont need a coward wet willy woody howdy doody . We will look back as this a good thing. Go Jazz. hope Ainge gets hemroids and Howdywood doesnt get a ring.

If that's the case, not very good planning to have two long shot backup plans right? Especially since Hayward was at best (even without hindsight) a 50% shot of returning.

I mean, he can't force good available players into existence.

I mean, he can't force good available players into existence.

This. I would love to hear what Sneakers' amazing back-up plan would've been.

****, Lindsey re-signed Ingles (not easy given the rumors), very well upgraded the point guard spot by getting Rubio (his back-up plan!) and simply didn't have Brad ****ing Stevens as the Jazz head coach. What more did you want Lindsey to do, Sneakers? What amazing idea do you have that would've help us replace Hayward?

Cuz the Utah Jazz have the luxury of making prime assets appear... late into free agency?

Sorry everyone, the Jazz went all in because there was dick for realistic alternatives. Their next moves were Gallinari and Porter. Didn't happen, because the Jazz should never expect **** on the open market.

No one has pivoted from losing arguably their best player in less than a day and come out even or better.

Last edited:
Man, a lot of ya'll come back with a ton of aggresssion. I said I trust the FO. And I don't think I need to proffer an offseason plan of my own to express disappointment in the fall out. I don't have access to the information they have and it's not my day job to plan for these contingincies. If there was nothing else that could have been done there was nothing.

There was nothing.

I think we are in the middle of the contingency plan. Be smart, don't make a move just to try and keep up with last years team and try and find some young players that can bloom while still on good contracts around the same time Rudy goes into full beast mode and at that time trade or sign some veterans into the mix.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app

Joe Johnson. DL was planning for this last year, but still had to do everything he could to try to keep Hayward if possible. Keeping Jingles was part of the plan as well. I think those are the two guys that will carry the majority of Hayward's offensive burden. Gobert, Favors, Jingles, Hood and Rubio to start. JJ, Mitchell, Burks and Exum from the bench. Maybe add one or two more guys to cheap, flexible contracts. Jazz aren't going to go crazy trying to replace Gordon Hayward.