What's new

So... what was the backup plan?

They had a plan B, but got held up by hay. And lost out on a couple free agents. Other then not having the foresight to trade Hayward this isn't the jazz's fault

Its not a bad plan to see what we have in Hood, Exum, Favors, Alec, and Mitchell. There are a lot of things to still learn about these guys. Maybe Exum blossoms and Hood struggles being the number 1 wing scorer or whatever the case may be. Going into next off season DL can then make more sound decisions. They really don't have any other options unless a trade comes their way that makes sense.

I always wonder why DL just doesn't put a gun to someone's head and force them to sign here. Then I remember that it would be against the law.

I'm sure they had multiple plans B, C, D, E, F, Etc. A couple of those plans were gone by the time Haywood got done writing his stupid blog. Their best bet was probably trading for Crowder, but DL refused to bend over for DA.

I know we all had high hopes, but dealing out of a position of desperation could easily do more damage than good. At this point, I'd prefer patience over a desperation move. Give some of these young guys a chance to step up, and if nobody does, trade 2 or 3 guys away for picks and try a short rebuild. The last thing we need to is to give out questionable contracts and find ourselves in the same place as the Blazers are.

Its not a bad plan to see what we have in Hood, Exum, Favors, Alec, and Mitchell. There are a lot of things to still learn about these guys. Maybe Exum blossoms and Hood struggles being the number 1 wing scorer or whatever the case may be. Going into next off season DL can then make more sound decisions. They really don't have any other options unless a trade comes their way that makes sense.

amen

I'm not 100% sold on Hill. I think Mitchell eventually becomes the starter at the 2 (give him a couple of years). The Rubio, Exum, Mitchell rotation at the 1/2 would be amazing defensively.

And Hood is too frail to play the 3 on the defensive end. I'd see what he and Favs can bring on the trade market at the deadline.

I think DM could play PG eventually. He's not the playmaker Rubio is but he shows more of it than Hill did. I've been impressed with his lead guard skills in SL, he would have had 8-10 assists last game playing with real pros.

Seems like Ingles was the backup plan to me.

He's not the scorer that Hayward was, but I actually like him running the offense better. I thought he was excellent as a creator when given the assignment.

And who knows, maybe he can tolerate a bit higher usage.

Seems like Ingles was the backup plan to me.

He's not the scorer that Hayward was, but I actually like him running the offense better. I thought he was excellent as a creator when given the assignment.

And who knows, maybe he can tolerate a bit higher usage.

I also thought that Jingles proved towards the end of the year that he could be an adequate starter in the NBA. I'm assuming he'll get the first shot at it.

Right now, The Jazz are top 15 in payroll and probably do not have a top 15 team.

Knowing this FO's history, what do you think the back-up plan is?

They're certainly not going to shell out another 10+ mil just so they can become a fringe playoff team.

More than likely they'll go in the opposite direction.

I understand the cautious approach given the team's salary situation and how they'll need to re-evaluate 4 or 5 guys just a year from now, however I would have expected the Jazz to go hard after the S&T option as soon as they knew about Hayward's decision. We obviously don't know exactly how far they've been willing to go, but to me Jae Crowder is just too good of a fit and he's on too cheap of a contract to let him go. Considering how the Celtics added just another forward and Ainge's love for hoarding picks, I have a hard time seeing him rejecting a top-12 protected future 1st, and to me Crowder at 7M per season and 3 years left is well worth it, as you have to be lucky to get a player like that on the middle of the 1st round, where more often than not you end up getting just another perennial bench guy or someone who's out of the league just a few years into his career.

Other than that, I would have loved for the Jazz to get their hands on Patrick Patterson as he too would have been excellent with this roster at a cheap price, and I still would like them to try and move a couple of pieces like Favors (just a matter of fit once again) and get something in return for Diaw's NG contract (for instance, the Rockets have never been willing to trade Trevor Ariza, but since they're trying to get Melo they could definitely use a heavier non-guaranteed contract to send NY's way).

Right now, The Jazz are top 15 in payroll and probably do not have a top 15 team.

Knowing this FO's history, what do you think the back-up plan is?

They're certainly not going to shell out another 10+ mil just so they can become a fringe playoff team.

More than likely they'll go in the opposite direction.

Opt out of Diaw. Play 30-40 games to see what we have and likely trade JJ. Maybe trade Favors.

Last Friday on 1280 the Zone, Spence Checketts asked Dennis Lindsay what the contingency plan was for losing Hayward, and Lindsay gave a really poor response. He did mention the acquisition of Rubio and Mitchell, but then he gave some lame answer about how having Exum have the full summer to train is like getting a "new" player.

I didn't like that he threw Exum in the mix, because retaining the same player that is already under contract is not a plan B.

I just felt like Lindsay didn't really have an answer for the question.

Last Friday on 1280 the Zone, Spence Checketts asked Dennis Lindsay what the contingency plan was for losing Hayward, and Lindsay gave a really poor response. He did mention the acquisition of Rubio and Mitchell, but then he gave some lame answer about how having Exum have the full summer to train is like getting a "new" player.

I didn't like that he threw Exum in the mix, because retaining the same player that is already under contract is not a plan B.

Well he can't come out and say all the other free agent options sucked so we've got to roll with what we've got.

Hayward was 30m dollars in limbo, its hard to make a backup plan with 30%+ of your salary as an unknown.
Ultimately it was the wrong call not to trade him since he left, but so hard to do that when the Jazz were
rolling people with a healthy Gobert/Hayward/Hill

Well said. Given the timing of how Gordy said no and the speed with other things happened not sure there are other options. It was a matter of giving up on Gordy before he said no or waiting. I see no way to fault the FO for that. The very thing that Dennis was upset about was how much a predicament Gordon put us in by his timing and the deals they admitted they had to pass on. Bad form by Gordy because it seems like he already knew the answer.

Listening to Locke's version of Nerdward's big decision, with a few reminiscences of days past it starts to become apparent that Heywood is a strange strange dude.

Not suprising he kept the FO believing he was their guy until the very end.

He's not going to come right out and tell everyone exactly what contingency plans he had that didn't work out or say what he still may have planned for the offseason. He did say in that interview that the timing of Haywood's decision was "unfortunate" in terms of hurting other moves that could have been made. And he said that he and Quin had a long conversation on the flight back about the state of the roster, what they thought was needed, and potential moves that could be made.

I got the feeling that DL was shellshocked a little by Haywood's decision. But I never got the feeling that he didn't have a plan to move forward or was lost about what to do next.

We were very aggressive the draft night and added some quality prospects. We also cheaply added a top defensive pass-first real PG in Rubio. He'll help Gobert offensively who posted 17 ppg later in last season and have more offensive potential than people tend to realise.

Also Hayward's 'the decision's timing limited our chances to add another star; Butler, PG and Gallo all were off the table. You can't sign a player just to sign.

Now we're looking to deal Favors because he does not fit and is rumored to be unhappy. Give him and Burks a final chance to play and prove their worth. Had we resigned Hayward we'd have had to dump both. Now give more PT for young kids. If a stretch four like Tobias Harris or Kevin Love is available pull the trigger, otherwise no rush.

The bottomline is we've started building around Gobert. Draft is about it, adding Rubio is about it. I firmly believe one of young kids will develop and eventually exceed 7th year Hayward. Then, a 3rd star would put us in the race. Hopefully by then GSW won't still have 4 all-stars.