What's new

Sorry Jazz fans – Ben is the NBA Rookie of the Year

So you think Simmons had a good game? I dont think he was awful but for him it was a sub par game. Other players had monster games and won it for them. I would say his impact was probably 4 or 5th most on the team in winning. Advanced stats would agree with me.

Do you think his teammates were not incredible from 3?

Advanced stats from the game show that Simmons had the worst net rating for the game besides TJ and Holmes for his team. He shot 38% for the game, he had 5 turnovers. He did distribute the ball well and had some good passes but most of his assist were just simple passes within the offense to the open guy. The vast majority of his passes that game were to JJ Reddick and Saric coming off of screens that his team got them open for. Those account for over half of his passes all game by the stats. Of all of his assits that game he had 5 to Saric and 3 to both Bellineli and JJ. All of JJ assists were coming of screens open, 2 of Bellinilis were and 3 of Saric's were. Those assits were all plays where Simmons stood there with space dribbling and simply passed to the guy the entire team got open. So Simmons did a good job of playing within the system but those guys hitting big shots were the real impressive part of the win.

Keep analysing his game this closely and you are going to have a very long and miserable 15 years ahead of you.

So you’re not too fussed about cheating. Cool

Do you care when people flop in basketball?

My view is the guys were wrong to do it. But it has been done a million times in the past with miminal punishment. There was a lot of ugly context to that series and the players should receive proportional punishments.

So having a job and working for a living makes having ethics and principals hogwash? Have you considered that maybe my different working environments has perhaps highlighted the importance of making ethical, principled choices?

Name another Australian captain who is guilty of ball tampering? Why should the absence of standards and values in the NRL or ICC (who are gutless and have been for a very long time) have any baring on what we expect of our national team or cricketers? They reckon this may have cost the ACB as much as 300 million on their current TV deal so a far as saving face goes they haven't done too well.

I have no problem with sledging in fact i enjoy it, its part of the game, like Rubio's flopping, cheating is not. As far as Warner goes, the guy is a ****wit, some bloke says something about his wife and he torches his career, talk about mental disintegration. He should come work with me for a week, he'll cop abuse he's never dreamed of, hell if at least two junkie prison rats don't threaten to kill me a week i'm probably not meeting my KPIs.

Not to punish them is weak, to say we are just as shabby as everyone else would be pathetic, I'm glad they didn't appeal it shows they actually have some insight in to just how badly they ****ed up.

Firstly I was only teasing with the stripclub thing. No offense intended.

I hear you with all your points. I am just one of those guys who is bewildered by a world where we overract to everything and impose vague values on everything we do.

Cheating is not ok. But losing a year's capacity to work etc is overreach of the highest order. National standards in an international game are rather redundant - what is the point of having an international body?

You sound like someone who never liked Warner in the first place tbh.

Where is your outrage in the fact that Faf was allowed to captain against Australia in the 4th test (and score a hundred) having been guilty of this twice previously?

Australian players should have refused to take the field in the 4th Test until Faf faced similar punishment.

Why would it be miserable? I enjoy analysing basketball and it's pretty easy to analyse a game I watched.

Because are you going to enjoy analysing his great play etc?
Maybe you are that objective.

Looking forward to hearing your analysis of what Ben did wrong tonight.

Firstly I was only teasing with the stripclub thing. No offense intended.

I hear you with all your points. I am just one of those guys who is bewildered by a world where we overract to everything and impose vague values on everything we do.

Cheating is not ok. But losing a year's capacity to work etc is overreach of the highest order. National standards in an international game are rather redundant - what is the point of having an international body?

You sound like someone who never liked Warner in the first place tbh.

Where is your outrage in the fact that Faf was allowed to captain against Australia in the 4th test (and score a hundred) having been guilty of this twice previously?

Australian players should have refused to take the field in the 4th Test until Faf faced similar punishment.

I think Warner is an exciting batsman but I also thinks he's a bit of a dickhead. Man if I **** up at work or in my private life and get convicted of an offence I'll lose my capacity to work for 7 to 10 years. 12 months is nothing for millionaires, I have no sympathy.

In terms of outrage and maintaining standards on the world stage, playing against Sri Lanka while they played a chucka was the end of that argument.

Because are you going to enjoy analysing his great play etc?
Maybe you are that objective.

Looking forward to hearing your analysis of what Ben did wrong tonight.
Clearly you didn't read what I wrote. Also, again I root for the 76ers. I have since AI was there. Except when they play the Jazz.

Also you never answered any of the questions nor offered any separate opinions. I'm guessing you just realized you had nothing to counter with or offer so you just moved on and made some silly claim.

As far as tonight goes he again shot well from ft. He was much better shooting and finishing this game. As usual he excelled in the open court, where he is best at. His passing was the same as the first game but guys didn't make open shots.

As usual he was kind of useless in the final 2 minutes. But he is a rookie so I assume he will improve in that area if he has work ethic.

Do you care when people flop in basketball?

My view is the guys were wrong to do it. But it has been done a million times in the past with miminal punishment. There was a lot of ugly context to that series and the players should receive proportional punishments.

mate flopping in basketball isn't even remotely the same as ball tampering in cricket. I hate flopping but that is up to the ref to police it. In life and business if you deliberately set out to break the laws and are caught you would cop far more severe punishements. Obviously it's not a crime but i have no sympathy for them when they deliberately set out to take such a drastically illegal step. Warner is a gifted player but an absolute flog

I think Warner is an exciting batsman but I also thinks he's a bit of a dickhead. Man if I **** up at work or in my private life and get convicted of an offence I'll lose my capacity to work for 7 to 10 years. 12 months is nothing for millionaires, I have no sympathy.

In terms of outrage and maintaining standards on the world stage, playing against Sri Lanka while they played a chucka was the end of that argument.

Tampering with a ball is still a nothing burger. Australian media and 'fans' lost their righteous brains over it

mate flopping in basketball isn't even remotely the same as ball tampering in cricket. I hate flopping but that is up to the ref to police it. In life and business if you deliberately set out to break the laws and are caught you would cop far more severe punishements. Obviously it's not a crime but i have no sympathy for them when they deliberately set out to take such a drastically illegal step. Warner is a gifted player but an absolute flog

There are degrees of cheating.
By your logic the umpires are there to police the condition of the ball and the behavior of the players. So the ball tampering is just an extension of wilfull acts of 'cheating'.

I just don't get how you guys didn't sense (and can't even sense on here), some of the anti-Australian BS that exists in the cricket world.

There is no justice when arbitrary punishments are made in a way to appease a self-righteous public and 'holier than thou' sponsors. There is no justice when the same acts are penalized to different degrees! This is the opposite of what justice is.

ps As a lawyer this **** really grates

Last edited:
Clearly you didn't read what I wrote. Also, again I root for the 76ers. I have since AI was there. Except when they play the Jazz.

Also you never answered any of the questions nor offered any separate opinions. I'm guessing you just realized you had nothing to counter with or offer so you just moved on and made some silly claim.

As far as tonight goes he again shot well from ft. He was much better shooting and finishing this game. As usual he excelled in the open court, where he is best at. His passing was the same as the first game but guys didn't make open shots.

As usual he was kind of useless in the final 2 minutes. But he is a rookie so I assume he will improve in that area if he has work ethic.

I think you're grading him on a curve.

A helluva lot of assists are dribble hand-offs and 'simple' passes to the right man etc. I have already admitted to this being part of his 'inflated' assists.

He also threaded some neat passes to players directly under the net. At least 4-5 in the playoffs so far.

He also has gravity where he pulls defenders off their opponents - sometimes just an extra step as they are hedging a little on clogging the lanes. Ben dissects that pretty well.

He also had two putbacks off his own misses in the first game. So his 5/13 was a bit misleading. It's like darts. If you have 3 darts to hit your double and you do it with your third dart, the result is still the same.

I don't hear you breakdown his defense much. He almost never gets scored on. And players often shift the ball away from him when he is matched up with them. He has a strong deterrent factor. He literally guards 1-4 in almost equal allotments and can guard some 5s.

LOL at the comments about free throws. When he misses them he is derided - now that he has made a respectable 11/16 it is stat padding. Give me a friggin break.

He finished a number of imposing drives tonight, and was generally unstoppable. I am convinced he doesn't realize how difficult he is to contain when he rumbles into the paint. The refs are calling some bs offensive fouls on him recently.

Across the 2 playoff games he has clearly been the best player in that series.

Hope warner and Smith would be back in the team before the next ashes. We need their batting against the poms.

once again Ron mexico is speaking out of his ***. Ben was the best player in both game 1 and 2 of the series.

There are degrees of cheating.
By your logic the umpires are there to police the condition of the ball and the behavior of the players. So the ball tampering is just an extension of wilfull acts of 'cheating'.

I just don't get how you guys didn't sense (and can't even sense on here), some of the anti-Australian BS that exists in the cricket world.

There is no justice when arbitrary punishments are made in a way to appease a self-righteous public and 'holier than thou' sponsors. There is no justice when the same acts are penalized to different degrees! This is the opposite of what justice is.

ps As a lawyer this **** really grates

Your comparing pushing/flopping etc on a basketball court with taking a black & decker to rough up a cricket ball is illogical and you know it. Of course there is some anti Australian sentiment in cricket mostly from the subcontinent. It's a disgrace that the Saffer got a couple of games for repeated ball tampering, but i don't care if Steve Smith and Warner didn't get the same punishment. Making the decision to blatantly carve up the ball with sandpaper is just a zillion times out and out cheating and a disgrace to the game and the posts they held as senior players. Freaking embarrassing and i'm glad they were severely dealt with. Just because you don't share the same opinion doesn't mean you need to childishly call others self righteous or holier than thou, frankly i think you're better than that and i think that's beneath you.

Your comparing pushing/flopping etc on a basketball court with taking a black & decker to rough up a cricket ball is illogical and you know it. Of course there is some anti Australian sentiment in cricket mostly from the subcontinent. It's a disgrace that the Saffer got a couple of games for repeated ball tampering, but i don't care if Steve Smith and Warner didn't get the same punishment. Making the decision to blatantly carve up the ball with sandpaper is just a zillion times out and out cheating and a disgrace to the game and the posts they held as senior players. Freaking embarrassing and i'm glad they were severely dealt with. Just because you don't share the same opinion doesn't mean you need to childishly call others self righteous or holier than thou, frankly i think you're better than that and i think that's beneath you.

In a way you're right.

There is no way I would do what they did. But I also have never dived in soccer, or flopped on a basketball court. All actions like that are 'beneath' me.

I think I look beyond this single incident and feel a conglomeration of 'political correctness' overload is setting me off.

Your logic is pretty much sound. And from an objective moral standpoint of their actions, yep I agree it is on the upper echolon of dodginess etc.

I just can't handle the moral outrage that comes with it all.

You know that these guys were not punished for their crime - but as a retaliation to the damage to the brand etc. I feel that is weak and unfair. We celebrate these players when they win etc, and then cast them off when they make this mistake. And despite what you are suggesting, I think this was a mistake - not some ingrained immorality working its way to the surface. They ****ed up. A sensible and just punishment should have resulted. Take the captaincy away from them if you want, sure.. But this was overkill. Designed to protect Australia's image as anti-sports doping/cheating etc. They hung them out to dry to try maintaining their reputation.

So, my outrage is sort of a despondency I feel about many things in our world atm, where only certain views are tolerated and certain agendas permitted.

Cheating of this magnitude has a price. But that price must be calculated with regard to proper consideration of the facts, context and international guidelines. Our personal anger at these players for cheating is not relevant.

I don't trust the mob mentality generally. So I think that is working against me here a bit.

I am not a big believer in hierarchical mistruths and misdemeanours. Actions that are immoral come from the same place, and because this was an extravagent form of cheating we are horrified more than we are from subtle acts designed to unfairly sway a result. But for me - they have equivalence by nature. How you distinguish them is the length of a penalty. But you don't gasp in horror and pretend all 'our values' have been challenged by an action where 3 guys tried to cheat a game to win.