What's new

Sorry Jazz fans – Ben is the NBA Rookie of the Year

That was just selfish basketball right there. Throw a lob away from the basket after dribbling out the clock?

No, the opposite is true. The fact that Ben only took 4 shots in 30 minutes of game time tells you that Ben is one of the most unselfish you have ever seen. 99 % of other players in the same situation would have taken another 10~15 shots just to boost the points tally.( Remenber Ben only had one point for the whole match ). Unfortunately Donivan Mitchell falls into that category. Ben does not even care about his stats because he always put the team first.

I don't care for this "politically correct" b.s. It's fake and dishonest, and retarded. People should use whatever words they want. If it shows their bias or prejudice, so be it. At least it's transparent. Political correctness is very similar to euphemism, a common method of concealing truth.

Since you've decided to push back, I hope you'll do me the courtesy of reading what I'm about to write and think about it carefully. Initially, your comment made me feel angry. So I read it multiple times, took a breath, calmed down, and now I'll try to respond in a productive way. This is kind of long, but please stick with me. Think carefully. Do you know and love anyone with a disability? Would you denigrate them to their face; call them "retarded"?

For me, this isn't a question of "political correctness." It's about recognizing the human dignity of every living person, whatever their level of physical or intellectual ability or disability. Calling someone a "retard" carries a negative accusation about people with disabilities. You are cashing in on someone else's disability in order to tear down or hurt someone else. You seem to be saying that it should be an insult to be called a "retard," and that it should be shameful. That the worth of someone with a disability is so low that you can use their disability as a label to shame someone. I think that's terrible.

I actually agree with one thing you said: You're right that using such language demonstrates a person's prejudice. In some ways, it's actually good to know that someone is a racist, bigot, or ableist. But I don't want to leave it at that, because prejudice itself is the real problem. Language reflects a prejudiced mindset. When I ask someone not to use a word like "retard," I'm implicitly inviting them to start reevaluating their prejudices. They can begin changing their mindset by paying more attention to their language. I personally went through that process. I'd be happy to tell you the story if you're interested.

You might be worried that my request not to use certain words will result in a sheltered society where people are too weak to withstand difficulties. As though we need racial, ethnic, or gender- or ability-based insults in order to become stronger people. I believe it takes more strength to revise our language. I'm all for helping people develop grit, and I try to develop grit and resilience in myself and my kids. They'll need it, because there are plenty of people who will insist on saying things like "retard" because they don't want to be fake and dishonest. I think the "real you" shouldn't feel good about demeaning the dignity of people with disabilities. If that's the "real you," then I invite you to change. Then you won't have to worry about being fake and dishonest, because the real you will understand the value inherent in human life in a way that lifts everyone.

yeah but he still hasn't got the real number 1 pick right, just like Simmons isn't a real rookie.

Since he's recalling what went on he is right. I'm pretty sure Mitchell was never part of the discussion for the pick before the draft. He's talking about the choice between Fultz and Tatum. How is that so ****ing hard to understand, OMFG!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look, if using a famous quote from a comedy movie is offends you or comes across as me saying a slur, I will not use that line any more.

At the end of the day, I believe in levity.

Since he's recalling what went on he is right. I'm pretty sure Mitchell was never part of the discussion for the pick before the draft. He's talking about the choice between Fultz and Tatum. How is that so ****ing hard to understand, OMFG!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sometimes its hard to troll the right people.

Look, if using a famous quote from a comedy movie is offends you or comes across as me saying a slur, I will not use that line any more.

At the end of the day, I believe in levity.

This is another backdoor I've seen people use when they push back against a request not to say "retard." I must not have a sense of humor if I'm pushing back against this. I'm not a humorless person in general. But I am very humorless about this.

I appreciate that you won't say the word around here any more. I hope you'll consider erasing it from your vocab altogether.

Since you've decided to push back, I hope you'll do me the courtesy of reading what I'm about to write and to think about it. Initially, your comment made me feel angry. So I read it multiple times, took a breath, calmed down, and now I'll try to respond in a productive way. This is kind of long, but please stick with me. Think carefully. Do you know and love anyone with a disability? Would you denigrate them to their face; call them "retarded"?

For me, this isn't a question of "political correctness." It's about recognizing the human dignity of every living person, whatever their level of physical or intellectual ability or disability. Calling someone a "retard" carries a negative accusation about people with disabilities. You are cashing in on someone else's disability in order to tear down or hurt someone else. You seem to be saying that it should be an insult to be called a "retard," and that it should be shameful. That the worth of someone with a disability is so low that you can use their disability as a label to shame someone. I think that's terrible.

I actually agree with one thing you said: You're right that using such language demonstrates a person's prejudice. But I believe prejudice is the real problem. Language reflects a prejudiced mindset. When I ask someone not to use a word like "retard," I'm implicitly inviting them to start reevaluating their prejudices. They can begin changing their mindset by paying more attention to their language.

You might be worried that my request not to use certain words will result in a sheltered society where people are too weak to withstand difficulties. As though we need racial, ethnic, or gender- or ability-based insults in order to become stronger people. I believe it takes more strength to revise our language. I'm all for helping people develop grit, and I try to develop grit and resilience in myself and my kids. They'll need it, because there are plenty of people who will insist on saying things like "retard" because they don't want to be fake and dishonest. I say, the "real you" shouldn't feel good about demeaning the dignity of people with disabilities. If that's the "real you," then I invite you to change. Then you won't have to worry about being fake and dishonest, because the real you will understand the value inherent in human life in a way that lifts everyone.

See, Life, you misunderstand what I'm saying. You know, for three years, I worked with developmentally disabled people. And I was damn good at it -- in fact, I won an award one of those years for my work. Of course, I wouldn't use the word in that setting, among people in that community. The point I was making is that people need the freedom to use whichever word they wish depending on context. The people on this board aren't developmentally disabled, though sometimes you might wonder. It's just a word and in certain contexts, you need to be sensitive about using it. You don't call a black person you don't know a ******, but if you're best buds with that person and have known them for many years, then damn straight you can him a ****** and vice-versa, and it won't change anything between you. A lot depends on context. The point about political correctness is that we need to get beyond that, we need to be able use words however we want, and in a truly egalitarian society, people will realize it's a just an insult, a person venting, but not take it so seriously. Words are just words, and we shouldn't let them hurt us. Ok, so I don't like Thee Jazz Fan calling me an idiot, but I'm used to it now because he's an idiot too.

Since you've decided to push back, I hope you'll do me the courtesy of reading what I'm about to write and think about it carefully. Initially, your comment made me feel angry. So I read it multiple times, took a breath, calmed down, and now I'll try to respond in a productive way. This is kind of long, but please stick with me. Think carefully. Do you know and love anyone with a disability? Would you denigrate them to their face; call them "retarded"?

I actually agree with one thing you said: You're right that using such language demonstrates a person's prejudice. In some ways, it's actually good to know that someone is a racist, bigot, or ableist. But I don't want to leave it at that, because prejudice itself is the real problem. Language reflects a prejudiced mindset. When I ask someone not to use a word like "retard," I'm implicitly inviting them to start reevaluating their prejudices. They can begin changing their mindset by paying more attention to their language. I personally went through that process. I'd be happy to tell you the story if you're interested.

You might be worried that my request not to use certain words will result in a sheltered society where people are too weak to withstand difficulties. As though we need racial, ethnic, or gender- or ability-based insults in order to become stronger people. I believe it takes more strength to revise our language. I'm all for helping people develop grit, and I try to develop grit and resilience in myself and my kids. They'll need it, because there are plenty of people who will insist on saying things like "retard" because they don't want to be fake and dishonest. I think the "real you" shouldn't feel good about demeaning the dignity of people with disabilities. If that's the "real you," then I invite you to change. Then you won't have to worry about being fake and dishonest, because the real you will understand the value inherent in human life in a way that lifts everyone.

Did you pay yourself on the back for this diatribe? Make sure you never use idiot, moron or lame in any online or in person discourse.

This is another backdoor I've seen people use when they push back against a request not to say "retard." I must not have a sense of humor if I'm pushing back against this. I'm not a humorless person in general. But I am very humorless about this.

I appreciate that you won't say the word around here any more. I hope you'll consider erasing it from your vocab altogether.

I rarely say retard in real life. I know how taboo it is. My dad was a QMRP for 35 years (qualified mental retardation professional.) However, in this context, I don't feel bad about using a line from a comedy movie. My moral compass isn't so high.

Except that both of those players can shoot or make a FT. So he is more comparable to Malone without the work ethic as a rookie. Or the player his rookie stats most align with MCW according to any independent stats match making.
Gawd damn it, RM. You made me Archie this thread.

I give up.

I rarely say retard in real life. I know how taboo it is. My dad was a QMRP for 35 years (qualified mental retardation professional.) However, in this context, I don't feel bad about using a line from a comedy movie. My moral compass isn't so high.
Archie, I understand what you're saying too. I rarely if ever use it myself. But we should have the freedom to use whatever words we choose, just be sensitive about who you are saying them to, like you don't say to a woman, you have a really nice c..t, unless you're with some kinky lady who gets off on such things -- btw, I never use that word, except maybe in private when I get really angry and no one is around.

See, Life, you misunderstand what I'm saying. You know, for three years, I worked with developmentally disabled people. And I was damn good at it -- in fact, I won an award one of those years for my work. Of course, I wouldn't use the word in that setting, among people in that community. The point I was making is that people need the freedom to use whichever word they wish depending on context.

People do have the freedom to use whichever word, for the most part, depending on context. I'm not trying to pass a law about this. I'm making a request in the name of human decency. There's no legal coercion or threat of force going on here.

The people on this board aren't developmentally disabled, though sometimes you might wonder.

You don't know what abilities/disabilities people on this board have, nor do you know if they care for someone with disabilities.

It's just a word and in certain contexts, you need to be sensitive about using it.

There's really no good reason why it needs to be said as an insult, ever, actually. Nothing is "just a word," either. Otherwise, you wouldn't be fighting so hard for the "right" (that no one is trying to deny you) to use it.

You don't call a black person you don't know a ******, but if you're best buds with that person and have known them for many years, then damn straight you can him a ****** and vice-versa, and it won't change anything between you.

Actually, no, I don't.

A lot depends on context. The point about political correctness is that we need to get beyond that, we need to be able use words however we want, and in a truly egalitarian society, people will realize it's a just an insult, a person venting, but not take it so seriously. Words are just words, and we shouldn't let them hurt us. Ok, so I don't like Thee Jazz Fan calling me an idiot, but I'm used to it now because he's an idiot too.

In a truly egalitarian society, people would inherently recognize that human dignity precludes using someone's disability as a way to insult them or someone else, actually. I don't now what kind of utopia you're envisioning where people go around happily calling each other the N word and R word for the hell of it, but that's not the good world I have in mind.

Now that we're on the subject, you mention "idiot." "Idiot" is an interesting example of language shift. That word has changed meaning over the decades/centuries. Originally, it was used to refer to people with intellectual disabilities, almost in a scientific sense. Doctors and legislators would talk about "idiots" in a technical sense. Between the 19th and 20th centuries "idiot" became more of a slur because people used it that way. So the medical establishment came up with a more "progressive" word, something more technical. "Mental retardation" became the preferred polite and technical way to talk about disabilities. Over time, that term was also co-opted as an insult. Later in the early 20th century "moron" became the technical term, and like idiot before it, it was co-opted. The preferred terminology today is "intellectual disability."

Maybe decades from now the word "retard" will become as disconnected from disabilities as the word "idiot" has. We're not there, though, which is why I ask people (not legislate) that they consider not using that word. So maybe someday the R word, or even the N word, will become so remote from the present, the original meaning of it will become so forgotten, that people will go around using those words in a completely different happy sense than we do today. But you and I will never live long enough to see that.