What's new

Sources: Bobby Portis significantly interested in Utah

LifeOnaPlate

Per Tony Jones, who doesn't play. He's a RFA with Washington, who might not wanna match him because they're over the cap. Shot 39% from 3 last year. Also punched Mirotic. Because reportedly Mirotic was a jerk.

IMG_8495.JPG

I like Bobby... not sure I’d offer what it’d take for them not to match though. Wonder if a sign and trade interests them with Favs. That’s prolly more than I’d want to pay.

Honestly if we could get Portis on a reasonable deal and have money to get a good wing that might be a better option than Harris.

Portis and Harris shot about the same percentage from 3 last year. And while Harris is a better player Portis is 3 years younger and developing, he is much longer, and can play better defense. I think Portis would be a great fit. The big plus is if we could get Portis and Bojan Bogdanovic, Green, Reddick, Barnes, Ross, Ariza, Oubre or whoever else at wing player. Then we would still have the Room MLE to get another solid Big or whatever else we think we need. Then we have a solid starting lineup and depth.

What do you mean by reasonable price? Like 10 or 11M a year?
Honestly if we could get Portis on a reasonable deal and have money to get a good wing that might be a better option than Harris.

Portis and Harris shot about the same percentage from 3 last year. And while Harris is a better player Portis is 3 years younger and developing, he is much longer, and can play better defense. I think Portis would be a great fit. The big plus is if we could get Portis and Bojan Bogdanovic, Green, Reddick, Barnes, Ross, Ariza, Oubre or whoever else at wing player. Then we would still have the Room MLE to get another solid Big or whatever else we think we need. Then we have a solid starting lineup and depth.

Sent from my MI 9 using JazzFanz mobile app

If we waive Favs we have roughly 17M in space we can get Portis or one of the guys listed but ain’t no way to get both.

If we were planning on offloading Exum we’d have done it in the Conley deal. If we didn’t have his contract we could maybe squeeze two of these guys.

If we waive Favs we have roughly 17M in space we can get Portis or one of the guys listed but ain’t no way to get both.

If we were planning on offloading Exum we’d have done it in the Conley deal. If we didn’t have his contract we could maybe squeeze two of these guys.
I dont expect us to lose Exum unless we have to for a big trade. I was assuming we could get Portis for closer to 10 million, just above the MLE. But maybe that is hopeful thinking. If he demands closer to 17m then I would not be as interested. I would rather go with another stretch 4 option for much cheaper. There are a ton of them as FAs this year. PF is probably the most available position this year and most can shoot the 3.

One thing to note... wiz are a dumpster fire... especially right now as they have not hired a new GM yet. So maybe you can sneak in an offer they don’t match or maybe Bobby’s agent can get them to rescind the qualifying offer... it happens occasionally... the interim GM might think they aren’t planning on bringing him back so they don’t want to piss off the agent and Bobby by making him sit out there in free agency.

Maybe you could get them to do a sign and trade with Exum... might be more salary than they want to take... might need to give some sweeteners. I highly doubt they have interest but we could ask.

My eye test says he plays no D. And the basketball reference stats back that up. I would rather pursue someone like Thaddeus Young.

I dont expect us to lose Exum unless we have to for a big trade. I was assuming we could get Portis for closer to 10 million, just above the MLE. But maybe that is hopeful thinking. If he demands closer to 17m then I would not be as interested. I would rather go with another stretch 4 option for much cheaper. There are a ton of them as FAs this year. PF is probably the most available position this year and most can shoot the 3.

None of those other guys can be had for 7 M... they’d cost almost twice that. 10-12 is prolly fair for Bobby but fair offers get matched in restricted free agency... so I’m guessing 13-17 makes them sweat.

All things considered, Portis is a great fit.
Badass dude, athletic, plays D, good shooter, versatile... probably good price tag... good chance to fill some other roster gaps.
Go for him if the chance is there.

My eye test says he plays no D. And the basketball reference stats back that up. I would rather pursue someone like Thaddeus Young.

I don’t know if it’s a can’t or won’t play defense... the teams he’s been on don’t seem to care much about defense. I think he’s as bad as Niko on defense.

None of those other guys can be had for 7 M... they’d cost almost twice that. 10-12 is prolly fair for Bobby but fair offers get matched in restricted free agency... so I’m guessing 13-17 makes them sweat.

Maybe so. I honestly am not sure how the numbers will play out this year. Based on the number of FAs though a lot of guys are going to go for much less than expected as money runs out after the big names get signed. Jazz could bargain hunt. One of those guys is going for cheap or someone else that is pretty good.

As far as matching goes, maybe. I doubt Jazz even make an offer unless they know Chicago isnt matching or lets him be a UFA. They are not going to waive Favors and just hope for the best in tying up their money and trying to sign a RFA.

I'd say go after Jabari Parker if luring Tobias Harris doesn't work. Yes, Jabari's defense is trash but even so we still get lit up having great team defense too.