What's new

Sporting News Top 15 Power Forwards

Just had to lead Spain to the Eurobasket title and average 26/9 for the tournament. He's still a force, unlike limp Dirk who had a terrible 5 games.

Good for him. In America where he plays NBA basketball against players with twice the talent, he's not exactly a #5 PF.

If you had 5 PF'S to pick from to join the Jazz, would Pau be one of them? Not a hard argument at all.

Not considering future value at all and just on the merit of one year of production, I'd probably put Gasol in the top 5. He is just an absolute force on offense and would compliment Favors or Gobert perfectly.

It would be:

1. Davis
2. Griffin
3. Aldridge
4. Favors
5. Gasol

Pretty hard to argue with their top 5. Gasol is just too nasty with his playmaking and scoring ability.

I think Bosh would be higher if he weren't coming off his ailment. Love was less featured with the Cavs, so his numbers dropped. Quite a drop for Nowitzki, tbh, more than I'd expect.

I have a hard time figuring the Bosh>Favors part. I'm not gonna kill it though.

Watching the Eurobasket, I was pretty well convinced that Nowitzki is legitimately slowing down though. His 3pt shot is so much more of a crap-shoot than It used to be... Conversely; I was pretty well convinced Pau is going to have a strong season.

If you had 5 PF'S to pick from to join the Jazz, would Pau be one of them? Not a hard argument at all.

Right now, yes, Pau would be one of them - but based solely on a 1-yr projection. Great complement for Gobert with his outside shooting. As King Cy pointed out, it's pretty hard to argue against his stats. But he's 35, so signing him to a 4-yr deal? No. But rankings are for now, only, not over the course of the next several years when Pau is likely to decline.

Right now, yes, Pau would be one of them - but based solely on a 1-yr projection. Great complement for Gobert with his outside shooting. As King Cy pointed out, it's pretty hard to argue against his stats. But he's 35, so signing him to a 4-yr deal? No. But rankings are for now, only, not over the course of the next several years when Pau is likely to decline.

You all in intelligent forecast is that a 35 year old talent will decline as an NBA player? Well there's a bold prediction. Yes, generally a coins stamped date will become a year older as planet earth enters into a new year. There's no doubt about that. You got that one.... spot freaking on!! My question is would you sign a 35 year old Gasol to the Jazz in a top 5 pic out of any player in the NBA? We're all pretty much aware that a sun with no clouds in front of us could possibly produce sunlight.

You all in intelligent forecast is that a 35 year old talent will decline as an NBA player? Well there's a bold prediction. Yes, generally a coins stamped date will become a year older as planet earth enters into a new year. There's no doubt about that. You got that one.... spot freaking on!! My question is would you sign a 35 year old Gasol to the Jazz in a top 5 pic out of any player in the NBA? We're all pretty much aware that a sun with no clouds in front of us could possibly produce sunlight.
You changed the argument in your post above and criticism. We're discussing PF's ONLY, not all players in the NBA.

Isn't the premise of the thread/rankings what a player is going to do this season ONLY? If that's the case, then yes, I rank Gasol that high. He's coming off a great year (19/12 on 49%) and dominated Eurobasket. If I could sign any PF to a 1-yr deal only - ignoring the ability to resign - he'd be in my top-5.

I'm shocked that a national sports page has him that high. They put him over Bosh, Gasol, Millsap, and Love. While I'd take him over any of those players at this point I didn't think nationally he'd get near that much respect. As for stuff like the all-star game all 3 of the guys ahead of him are also in the West. So the odds of him making the ASG are probably remote even though he'll be a better player than guys that do. Just like last year, BTW.

Let's see if this year, our boy, Favors, can solidify this ranking and have the other media outfits around the country recognize.