What's new

Sporting News Top 15 Small Forwards

Hayward has been deferring too much in the 2nd half. He needs to be a little more selfish and get himself going each time he gets in the game.

Sorry, I just don't buy George being unequivocally better than Hayward. He plays on a team that starts 4 wings who can all shoot and has a lot of spacing and he gets to take a lot of shots. Their head-to-head matchup was basically a draw and Hayward's team won because Hayward shutdown George and made it hard for him to get off shots.

Call me a homer.

Sorry, I just don't buy George being unequivocally better than Hayward. He plays on a team that starts 4 wings who can all shoot and has a lot of spacing and he gets to take a lot of shots. Their head-to-head matchup was basically a draw and Hayward's team won because Hayward shutdown George and made it hard for him to get off shots.

Call me a homer.

George's best season was definitely better than Hayward's best season. And in that season he was playing with David West and Roy Hibbert, so your 4 wing argument doesn't work there.

George is taller, longer, more athletic, a better defender, better rebounder, better at finishing at the rim, and shoots just as high a 3PT% historically (on more attempts). Only thing I think Hayward is a little better at is passing--and it's not by much. I also think George has shown more of that "it" factor.

Love me some Hayward, but there's no way I take him over Paul George.

Last edited:
George's best season was definitely better than Hayward's best season. And in that season he was playing with David West and Roy Hibbert, so your 4 wing argument doesn't work there.

George is taller, longer, more athletic, a better defender, better rebounder, better at finishing at the rim, and shoots just as high a 3PT% historically (on more attempts). Only thing I think Hayward is a little better at is passing--and it's not by much. I also think George has shown more of that "it" factor.

Love me some Hayward, but there's no way I take him over Paul George.

George has also been playing in the East.

The 4 wing factor is for this season. In their best seasons, Hayward was the more efficient scorer and better playmaker, and Hayward did it with less around him in a better conference. Also Hayward has really stepped up his defense this year and I think George has dropped a bit in that department.

But George has played really good the last 4 games and Hayward has been less than spectacular, so let's go ahead and say George >>>>> Hayward *sarcasm*

*I dont think there is a clear better among the two (though I think Hayward's season last year was better than anything George has done), I think it can vary season to season and so far George > Hayward this season but I expect Hayward to bounce back with some huge games pretty soon*

Given that they were taken one pick apart, the debate of Hayward v. George will last forever or at least until one retires/wins a title. Thus far in their careers, George has the edge with his all star and Team USA appearances.

Given that they were taken one pick apart, the debate of Hayward v. George will last forever or at least until one retires/wins a title. Thus far in their careers, George has the edge with his all star and Team USA appearances.

All Star appearances not even fair. George is in the East. Hayward would have been an All-Star last year in the East.

And Team USA.... Mason Plumlee made it over Favors, we really going to use that to argue anything?

George > Hayward obviously.

That's not really that bad of a thing to say about Hayward.
George is really good