What's new

Spurs @ Jazz :: 1.26.2011 :: 7pm Utah Time

I just watched the game here in the Philippines. I see things as a former coach, that maybe the average fan doesn't see. The refs let the Spurs get away with murder. Popovich has taught his players every trick in the book to get an advantage, and the refs let them get away with it. Let me give you an example. The Spurs are great at pushing off with their body. Example the Jazz get close at the end of the game and Manu who is closely guarded goes inside and stands in front of the rim about 4 ft away. The ball is lobbed into him. How do the Spurs know we won't get the lob pass. While the ball is in the air Ginobli runs into the man guarding him with his chest and knocks him backwards towards the free throw line. The ball arrives and presto a lay-up right in front of the rim., and the beep beep ref is standing right there watching it. Easy to be a great team Spurs and great coach when the refs allow all the moving screens and pushing off with your body. Screw the NBA and their beep beep refs!

Continue to start Raja, but yank him after 8 minutes into the 1st and 3rd. If it makes more sense to play him more, do it, but only if it could conceivably make sense. In the meantime, play Hayward and Miles more for the love of god. Greg Miller needs to march into Sloan's office and back his pick like his dad did for Deron because Bell is just a player-coach out there, being more the latter than the former.

16 minutes. Closes the very occasional half or game. And take it a step further and tell him the new way we want to use him is less minutes, harder minutes like any backup, except he's playing his backup minutes to uncharacteristically open games and 2nd halves. So we want to see you get 3 fouls and punch the opposing 2 in the face in the first 8 minutes of every game.

Well let's look on the bright side

I just watched the game here in the Philippines. I see things as a former coach, that maybe the average fan doesn't see. The refs let the Spurs get away with murder. Popovich has taught his players every trick in the book to get an advantage, and the refs let them get away with it. Let me give you an example. The Spurs are great at pushing off with their body. Example the Jazz get close at the end of the game and Manu who is closely guarded goes inside and stands in front of the rim about 4 ft away. The ball is lobbed into him. How do the Spurs know we won't get the lob pass. While the ball is in the air Ginobli runs into the man guarding him with his chest and knocks him backwards towards the free throw line. The ball arrives and presto a lay-up right in front of the rim., and the beep beep ref is standing right there watching it. Easy to be a great team Spurs and great coach when the refs allow all the moving screens and pushing off with your body. Screw the NBA and their beep beep refs!

IT wasn't the refs fault that we lost tonight...

Or the night before...

Or the previous 4 games before that.

My Point

IT wasn't the refs fault that we lost tonight...

Or the night before...

Or the previous 4 games before that.

Right I understand the lack of focus and lack of hustle lately, but my point is it is darn hard to beat a team the is allowed to do the things the Spurs are. Of course Ak and Bell playing better could have made the refs work harder to get the Spurs the victory.

16 minutes. Closes the very occasional half or game. And take it a step further and tell him the new way we want to use him is less minutes, harder minutes like any backup, except he's playing his backup minutes to uncharacteristically open games and 2nd halves. So we want to see you get 3 fouls and punch the opposing 2 in the face in the first 8 minutes of every game.

Precisely. Thank you.

went to the game...a couple (ok a long list) of observations

The Spurs were spotted at least 10 points off of bad calls at least from what I saw and the replays on the Jumbotron. There was a charge on Manu at the end where Raja got a blocking foul. In the third when the second unit made a the big run, three or four times in a row the spurs were bailed out by the refs on what looked to be bogus fouls. These calls were real momentum killers. It was like there was a wall at nine points deficit.

I'm not big about blaming things on the refs, but the crowd was unusually disturbed by the calls tonight.

Raja is obviously in a major shooting slump and tonight was no exception. He did play good defense on Manu down the stretch imo. He is obviously playing with a lot of emotion the past two games--if he ever makes it out of his shooting slump he will be the valuable piece we hoped for, if a bit slower than the past.

Jeremy Evans is guaranteed a couple of oops before the oposing team catches on. He has some work to do on D--RJ had a couple of wide open Js he was responsible for. He also seemed like the only Jazz player working for rebounds. Rookie mistakes caught up to him tonight and Sloan had to limit his minutes imo, but he is a blast to watch!

Deron was a GTD with the flu. I could just end it there and let his stats speak. I will only add that he is far from giving up on this season. At one point he injured a knee or rolled an ankle and sloan was ready to sit him, but he waived off sloan and limped down the floor and played like nothing was wrong. He got shook up on another play later. Kid is tough as nails. Oh yeah and it is a big deal that he shot 75% from the field.

Al was pwning Duncan in the first half. I don't mind him taking guys when he is one on one if he can perform like that. 18pts in the first half. He also did a good job on Duncan on D. He has a long way to go helping the guards when they get burned. In the second half he only got 4 pts because the spurs doubled him and I think Duncan figured him out as well. When Al learns to pass out of the double team I think he becomes all-star material. Will we see it?

Okur was not looking good at all tonight. He is painfully slow. I don't know how he wasn't exploited more by the spurs.

Sloan made a good adjustment (a bit late, I was asking for it in the second quarter). Watson guarded Parker to take Dwill off of him. He was burning Dwill every time he wanted. Give Duncan a lot of credit for this. He must set the best screens in the game. It's a thing of beauty. The spurs offense is running at a much more perfected level compared to the Jazz. It's almost like clockwork. You know what's coming, but you don't know what to do about it. I love Watson's tenacity on the perimeter and the pressure he puts on.

Milsap was also a GTD with a sprained thumb. I guess he chose to play. He looked active at first, but then disappeared. At halftime shootaround I saw him miss a lot of shots...His fg% doesn't show it, but outside he was passing up his normal jumpers once or twice and missed one or two he would normally make. Hopefully he can get things back as well.

Finally we could not stop parker and ginobili from driving the lane until we started putting pressure on them on the perimeter. That killed us. I don't know how many times I saw that tonight.

Overall I am very optimistic about this team. I expected them to get destroyed tonight. Perhaps we can even get a win on Thursday. Once they regain their confidence we will be in good shape. Some of the players already have.

You can never blame the game on the refs, but this game was not called fairly imo.

Given our performance in recnt games, I wasn't totally upset by our perfomance in this one. We saw tonight what we expect Al to be. We still lost and thatsucks, but I'm at the point to where moral victories are a good thing.

There was a lot to like about the game last night but in the end the most obvious difference is the Jazz are not a good jumpshooting team. For all the criticism DW has gotten he played like a monster last night. If he could have gotten just a little more offensive help then the Jazz would have won.

Raja is obviously in a major shooting slump and tonight was no exception.

When hasn't he been in a major shooting slump this season?

I think after a guy has sucked for 3 months you can stop calling it a slump and just call it who he is. He's an old vet with deteriorated skills. Time to retire.

When hasn't he been in a major shooting slump this season?

I think after a guy has sucked for 3 months you can stop calling it a slump and just call it who he is. He's an old vet with deteriorated skills. Time to retire.

thankfully we have him for 2 more years! brilliant KOC!!