What's new

Start Dante for Rubio

I’m really happy doe... that would have been disappointing to see him take a step back against an inferior opponent. It’s quite encouraging.

That speaks for what a lot of fanz were thinking......then he starts orchestrating a dunkathon. That in itself causes excitement

What does “mitchell/rubio” fans have to do with anything. Exum had a great game against a trash team, I need to see more. However it was encouraging to see how well he played today and I really hope he lives up to his initial expectations.

He played well against the Rockets, the Heat, the Warriors, the Blazers, and the 76ers as well.

I don't think he's earned the starting position though. You need at least a quarter of a season of consistently doing this to say that.

On the other hand, Rubio is trash most nights, so it might be a positive change.

Dante is so damn fast! He gets to the basket at will. If he gets the floater it's all over. Think about it. If the centre stays with our centre. Dante has a floater or a layup or the dunk. If the centre goes to Dante he throws the alley Oop or pass to gobert or favors. He could be great if he gets stronger improves his floater and layup
Exum still needs to be able to consistently knock down a pull up 3 when defenders decide to wall off the PnR and dare Exum to shoot it even if he gets a consistently good floater. That was the defensive strategy one of, if not the best defensive team in the NBA in OKC pulled out against Exum a few games back and while the looks Exum got were great he missed pretty much all of them iirc.

It doesn't even need to be a quick shot as teams give him all the space he needs to take his time and knock it down, but until he proves he can consistently do it when given the shot the wall off PnR and stay home on shooters is a viable defensive strategy good teams not named the Knicks can pull out.

Exum still needs to be able to consistently knock down a pull up 3 when defenders decide to wall off the PnR and dare Exum to shoot it even if he gets a consistently good floater. That was the defensive strategy one of, if not the best defensive team in the NBA in OKC pulled out against Exum a few games back and while the looks Exum got were great he missed pretty much all of them iirc.

It doesn't even need to be a quick shot as teams give him all the space he needs to take his time and knock it down, but until he proves he can consistently do it when given the shot the wall off PnR and stay home on shooters is a viable defensive strategy good teams not named the Knicks can pull out.

Big difference now and this will be what initially Exum will be judged on is that he is playing at the top of the key and not from the corners. We all know what he looks like playing from the corners and it isn't pretty basketball. But he plays with total confidence at the top of the key where he's initiating the PNR and taking much more comfortable 3pters.His room to operate is greater and he's on constant attack .A attacking Exum is better than the decoy Exum in the corners.
Last 6 games Exum has 31 assists to 4 turnovers ……. positive proof of where Exum operates best.

Yeah I agree he has to knock down the open 3. So they respect it

Big difference now and this will be what initially Exum will be judged on is that he is playing at the top of the key and not from the corners. We all know what he looks like playing from the corners and it isn't pretty basketball. But he plays with total confidence at the top of the key where he's initiating the PNR and taking much more comfortable 3pters.His room to operate is greater and he's on constant attack .A attacking Exum is better than the decoy Exum in the corners.
Last 6 games Exum has 31 assists to 4 turnovers ……. positive proof of where Exum operates best.
I mean sure but I'm not really sure what that has to do with my point. It's not going to be "all over" until Exum is able to hit the pull up 3 when defenses sag the PnR if we assume his floater is fine moving forward (he's reportedly been working super hard on finishing at the rim so I'm going to give Exum credit and assume it's legit).

Exum has always been much better in a PnR situation than standing in a corner I don't think anyone would dispute that, but his handle and decision making was letting him down earlier in the season and in prior seasons. He's been much more patient with his reads now and his handle looks like it has tightened a lot which is 100% credit to Exum. All I'm saying is that even with a floater he's not an unstoppable threat in the PnR until he can hit that pull up 3, but the progress is super encouraging.

I swear the people who hate Rubio have some kind of Men in Black memory eraser invention. After they watch a game Rubio played well in they use it on themselves.

And it's both ways, also. The Dante haters have this same affliction. Just have a look at Kyoto's comment on this page. Someone earlier said, 'when was the last time Rubio had 13 assists?' Which he actually had 14 just last week.

Rubio is also a turnover machine now which he never use to be before ,not good for a poor shooter ,,,,even David Locke (Cy) can't butter this up to disguise the turnovers Rubio is committing

I swear the people who hate Rubio have some kind of Men in Black memory eraser invention. After they watch a game Rubio played well in they use it on themselves.
But were his good games against good teams, that seems to matter? A good game doesn’t count otherwise I hear.

Ricky's athleticism is becoming more exposed, great guy got a great manbun but his ceiling doesn't match Exum's and we have to wonder if Rubio's experience is greater than Exum's chance to be a game changer that Jazz lack right now.

I am afraid that Snyder is just going to stay with Rubio until his hand is forced to go with Dante. This Rubio injury may be the best thing that could happen to us so Snyder doesn't have an option but to go with Dante and Dante and Quin have to work through things and make the necessary adjustments. Obviously I don't want any serious injury to Rubio but for the betterment of the team, it might be best if Rubio had to sit for a week or so. It sounds like Rubio is just banged up a little so I don't expect him to miss much playing time.

I love this forum, but man, it's Dante Exum all day every day. Based on the amount of comments he gets (more than any other player including Donovan or Rudy), he must be the 2nd coming of Michael Jordan and Quin Snyder doesn't see it.

So, after getting this out of my system, the fact that Exum is playing well is so good for this team. At the very least this should push Rubio much more, since at times he's looked a little too confident he's the guaranteed starter.

Also, I want to remind you Rubio has had a pretty good month of december and he tends to turn a corner every 2nd half of the season, so you know Quin is going to respect that. That means we all should take a deep breath and enjoy the fact that both PGs are probably going to be instrumental in the Jazz going in a huge run to end the season with a high seed. Enjoy the ride.