What's new

State of the Point Guard position

I agree with Ron Mexico. The Jazz are a playoff team with 2 late 1st round picks. Whoever they draft won't be much help if any next year. So drafting based on position doesn't make all that much sense. The Jazz should be drafting guys with high upside that they can develop. They need to find a potential steal. This is the main reason, other than being a homer, that I like Frank Jackson. He's young, crazy athletic, and a good shooter. There's a strong foundation from which to develop with plenty of upside. You could also look for players with elite measurables. A Leonard or a Gobert. The last thing that you should do is draft based on a player's position.

On Frank Jackson, he's underrated. I wouldn't complain if we drafted anyone with the name "Jackson" or "Frank"

murderface, you must have forgot Mack actually sat a significant portion of the season even when he wasn't injured to let Exum and Neto develop even though Mack had the better stats.

Going from starter to that he didn't complain bro, was a team player. When the season was on the line hell yea we play the veteran. Exum was targeted constantly often confused. Ofcourse Exum has the potential and it's his time, Mack kept him from being thrown to the wolfs so to say - give him some props.

On Frank Jackson, he's underrated. I wouldn't complain if we drafted anyone with the name "Jackson" or "Frank"

murderface, you must have forgot Mack actually sat a significant portion of the season even when he wasn't injured to let Exum and Neto develop even though Mack had the better stats.

Going from starter to that he didn't complain bro, was a team player. When the season was on the line hell yea we play the veteran. Exum was targeted constantly often confused. Ofcourse Exum has the potential and it's his time, Mack kept him from being thrown to the wolfs so to say - give him some props.

Mack was getting worse as the season progressed, and his better stats were very negligible. Exum had a more positive impact over the second half of the season and should have played all of Mack's minutes in the playoffs because he is a better player even in his larval form. I don't really want to get back into this again. I'm just glad he's gone. I hope he finds a nice place in the legaue somewhere. I think he's maybe a 3rd point guard, or a backup on a bad team.

I think the Jazz should select at least one if not TWO point guards during this draft, that is assuming the Jazz keep all four picks. Unless Hill takes 10 million or less PER YEAR, there's no way he should be on the Jazz. I am sure Jazz fans are split 50/50 on Exum's future in terms of "very good/all-star caliber starter" potential or "time to move on to someone else as PG of the future". But he should stay in the mix regardless. Neto and Mack are both fringe rotation guys, and probably 3rd string PG's on a championship contender at best ---- Mack isn't NBA caliber in my opinion.

SO

For all the jokes everyone made about the Jazz having too many point guards last offseason, the real joke was we barely had one. I do like Marcus Paige as an eventual backup/borderline starter down the line in the NBA and I don't know if the Jazz still own his rights but maybe he thrusts himself into the picture during the Summer League or Training camp. Even so, he won't be an impact guy for at least another year or two.

I created this thread (link) when Hill sat out a crucial game at end of regular season in terms of trying to secure home court against the Clippers. We all saw what he was made of by sitting out of the Golden State series. This whole thread is moot if he agrees to re-sign with Utah for 10 million or less, but all reports say he's going to ask for 20 million. If someone wants to give that to him, God Bless them.

Assuming Hill bolts for a lot of money, WHAT DOES EVERYONE HERE WANT IDEALLY THIS OFFSEASON? Draft (either via Jazz picks or a trade up into the lotto to take one a la Burke just hopefully a better outcome this time around), Free Agency, or put all the eggs in Dante's basket and let him be the starter?

you really need to get a grip on the George Hill H8

we just need to pay George .. end of story

I think the Jazz should select at least one if not TWO point guards during this draft, that is assuming the Jazz keep all four picks. Unless Hill takes 10 million or less PER YEAR, there's no way he should be on the Jazz. I am sure Jazz fans are split 50/50 on Exum's future in terms of "very good/all-star caliber starter" potential or "time to move on to someone else as PG of the future". But he should stay in the mix regardless. Neto and Mack are both fringe rotation guys, and probably 3rd string PG's on a championship contender at best ---- Mack isn't NBA caliber in my opinion.

SO

For all the jokes everyone made about the Jazz having too many point guards last offseason, the real joke was we barely had one. I do like Marcus Paige as an eventual backup/borderline starter down the line in the NBA and I don't know if the Jazz still own his rights but maybe he thrusts himself into the picture during the Summer League or Training camp. Even so, he won't be an impact guy for at least another year or two.

I created this thread (link) when Hill sat out a crucial game at end of regular season in terms of trying to secure home court against the Clippers. We all saw what he was made of by sitting out of the Golden State series. This whole thread is moot if he agrees to re-sign with Utah for 10 million or less, but all reports say he's going to ask for 20 million. If someone wants to give that to him, God Bless them.

Assuming Hill bolts for a lot of money, WHAT DOES EVERYONE HERE WANT IDEALLY THIS OFFSEASON? Draft (either via Jazz picks or a trade up into the lotto to take one a la Burke just hopefully a better outcome this time around), Free Agency, or put all the eggs in Dante's basket and let him be the starter?
I'd rather sign a pg in free agency then waste all our picks on pg's.

I agree with Ron Mexico. The Jazz are a playoff team with 2 late 1st round picks. Whoever they draft won't be much help if any next year. So drafting based on position doesn't make all that much sense. The Jazz should be drafting guys with high upside that they can develop. They need to find a potential steal. This is the main reason, other than being a homer, that I like Frank Jackson. He's young, crazy athletic, and a good shooter. There's a strong foundation from which to develop with plenty of upside. You could also look for players with elite measurables. A Leonard or a Gobert. The last thing that you should do is draft based on a player's position.

Bell has elite defense and athletic. He would get playing time because of his ability on defense and athletic ability around the rim

Let me just say for the record how in love I am with this trade for Ricky Rubio the Jazz pulled off. What a vast improvement!! I'm not sure if Mack and/or Neto come back but with Rubio, Exum & Neto/Wallace/Goss, I will feel a lot better about the Jazz at point guard this coming season than last. Between the three PG's, along with Hayward/Ingles/Hood/Burks/Mitchell/Joe Jesus the Jazz have a stable of guys who can handle and pass. Perimeter shooting consistency will be vital to the Jazz becoming a true power in the West. Let's go!!!!!

Wait to see what happens with Hill or Cory Joseph. Otherwise, I'd probably go with Exum/Neto/Mitchell. At least I know all 3 of those guys will try to play defense.

I think our PG spot is really squared away with Rubio/Exum/Neto. I guess Neto isnt a guaranteed contract so if they really like what they see from Wallace or Goss maybe they go that route. Or I guess if they think Mitchell is more of a PG or at least will get some minutes there. But either way I feel like it is solid. I do like the Spain/Australia/Brazil combo at PG!

SF/SG is also quite set right now assuming Hayward comes back.

Our biggest question mark is the PF spot and backup Center spot. If Favors is fully healthy and ready to go I suppose it is pretty set but I would prefer a safety net player there that could potentially start. Bring back Booker! Or sign Patterson or someone at that level at we are good to go!

Im down for Booker. At least we'd have some of the best crap talkers in the league. That'd be entertaining and he said he liked it here

What does Booker bring? On a team that needs shooting and a backup to Rudy he provides neither. His intensity and love of the Jazz is unquestioned. He had good rebounding ability. But he's also a 30% 3PT shooter. So he just clogs the paint for a team that wants to play 4 out, 1 in.