What's new

[Stein] Gordon Hayward just officially notified Utah he's declining his 2017-18 player option

Not surprising at all....

It begins

giphy.gif

Anyone else wish they could just opt out of multimillion dollar contract? Guess I should have spent more time in the driveway shooting hoops.

Anyone else wish they could just opt out of multimillion dollar contract? Guess I should have spent more time in the driveway shooting hoops.

Even if you did you still probably wouldn't have made it (me either), that's why these dudes are worth what they're making imo and in some cases should be making more.

Alternate Headline, "Hayward abruptly cuts off all communications with the Jazz Organization. Departure to Celtics imminent!"

giphy.gif

Just trying to get inside Gordon's head, but if you were planning to re-sign with the jazz, wouldn't it be more prudent for him to play out the final year of his contract and hope he makes one of the all NBA teams so he can get the mega max?

Just trying to get inside Gordon's head, but if you were planning to re-sign with the jazz, wouldn't it be more prudent for him to play out the final year of his contract and hope he makes one of the all NBA teams so he can get the mega max?

No, because he'd lose too much money compared to what he'll make with a new contract. Plus, it's unlikely he'll be All-NBA next year either, which he would need to get the super max contract. Opting in wouldn't have made much sense.

What makes the most sense for him? A 2+1? He'd get a lot (about 65M?) for two years and if at that point he thinks we suck and he wants greener pastures, he still has a good 4-5 years of peak play left. Plus after two years, he could sign a MASSIVE five year deal if he wants to stay.

What makes the most sense for him? A 2+1? He'd get a lot (about 65M?) for two years and if at that point he thinks we suck and he wants greener pastures, he still has a good 4-5 years of peak play left. Plus after two years, he could sign a MASSIVE five year deal if he wants to stay.

The deal that makes the most sense is a 3-year deal or a 3 + 1. Once he hits 10 years in the league he's eligible for a huge contract.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app

What I hate is that even if he signs with us, Hayward is probably going to sign a one and one contract where he can opt out after one year and be a free agent again after next season and we are going to have to do all this again.

If he wanted to go that route, I believe he could sign a 1+1 and make twice as much in that year while also having a year of insurance in case of injury. I know some people have refuted this, but I've seen conflicting info that makes me believe this would be an option.

What I hate is that even if he signs with us, Hayward is probably going to sign a one and one contract where he can opt out after one year and be a free agent again after next season and we are going to have to do all this again.

If that happens, I think he'll be gone unless he makes all NBA.

Try sitting in front of a contract for $170M and saying, "Nah, I'll pass for another year..."

Doubtful.

He will sign for 3 years at least.