What's new

Stein: Jazz targeting Grant then Covington

Shad

Jazz want Grant but Pistons do not want Jazz's offer of a 1st and Ingles.

Covington is next on the radar.

Jerami Grant is a player I've been saying Utah should go after since forever!!!! He's a most excellent fit next to Rudy n fills several holes... There was a huge contingent of fans here who wanted Aaron Gordon to be selected with the pick that turned into Exum ---- I said over and over and over why would u draft Gordon that high when you could jsut take Jerami Grant who, inexplicably, fell to the 2nd round...

Posted this in the trade thread but I meant to post this here:
I'd love it but I just don't think the Jazz have the best offer. Is there anything else we could throw in? We really only have the one draft pick + the expiring that a rebuilding team like Detroit would be interested in. Could we sell them on Butler having some value? Ingles +Butler plus the first? Just seems like someone else will have a better offer.

Now we see what Trader Danny Ainge can do.

I was down on Grant since I thought he'd be a malcontent if we got him, but since we made his list of teams I'm back on the wagon.

Joe and a 1st ain't gonna get it done. I don't think Grant is as good as his Piston's numbers suggest, but if we get something between Piston's Grant and the Grant beforehand... that's pretty damn close to being the missing piece to the team.

I was down on Grant since I thought he'd be a malcontent if we got him, but since we made his list of teams I'm back on the wagon.

Joe and a 1st ain't gonna get it done. I don't think Grant is as good as his Piston's numbers suggest, but if we get something between Piston's Grant and the Grant beforehand... that's pretty damn close to being the missing piece to the team.
I'm not 100% sure this is his list... why wouldn't Atlanta be on the list. I think they are the most likely destination. I think this may have been a list of those that are interested.

I'm not 100% sure this is his list... why wouldn't Atlanta be on the list. I think they are the most likely destination. I think this may have been a list of those that are interested.
I’ll take a slight different spin…

For quite a while I had said that we needed to be dropping our names in conversations as pursuing guys like Durant when they’re free agents. Not because we’re going to land them, but by continually pretending like we belong at the table, eventually people will see us as being at the table (not to say you’re landing a Durant). It’s the NBA version of “so you’re that Fünke everybody’s been talking about!”

Perhaps the Ainge administration is leaking ******** like this to shape a narrative over time.

I'd rather splurge for Grant than trade anything for Covington. Grant is a more explosive athlete, and he'll have more re-sale value.

If the Jazz don't want to give him a big extension, they can trade him next year to a team that does.

Last edited:
Doesn't even need to be Grant or RoCo. Clarkson for any wing or front court player would be a win for us. We have a loaded backcourt with both Forrest/Butler deserving rotation min after their performance against the league leader last night. So we need to get Clarkson out of the way for our young guns.

Last edited:
Just for a thought exercise (because I think the chance of Detroit going for this is nil), is there anyone who would find the following deal too much to swallow?:

Jerami Grant

for

Ingles
first available 1st rounder (is it 2026?), top 10 protected
Butler
Paschall
Hughes

(and maybe Azubuike for Luka Garza could be added if the Pistons wanted that)

If you are getting Grant you got to trade Bogey. Not really debatable IMO.

If the Jazz want Grant, it's going to have to be a multi team deal where Bogey goes somewhere else, but who is going to want Bogey with his finger thing? It's a risk for any team who would want him for the playoffs this year.