What's new

Stein: Jazz targeting Grant then Covington

Exactly right and more people should read this post.

We passed on guys like PJ Tucker, Kuzma, Grant, and so many others. There are other guys we could have been more aggressive on - Chris Paul, DeRozan, Lonzo, others. We aren't for sure getting those guys, but I don't even know if we tried. Buying low is where it's at.

Smart is a buy low guy right now. He's the type guy who might come in and completely rejuvenate the team on the defensive end.

Collins is a buy low. The guy has all the talent in the world but something about Trae just doesn't work.

Maybe Levert is a good buy low like @Handlogten's Heros was saying.
I'm sorry but Collins and Smart aren't buy low... You know how much they are earning this year? We need to give up a lot just to match their salary.
Getting a guy who's already on a multi million dollar contract isn't buy low. Getting a guy who's on a rookie scale contract or MLE then he significantly outperforms that contract, is. Like Boozer or Okur. Or this season's Cam Reddish/PJ Washington.
Guys like Grant, Smart, Collins and Levert need to put up allstar type of numbers to even live up to their contracts, let alone outperforming them.

I'm sorry but Collins and Smart aren't buy low... You know how much they are earning this year? We need to give up a lot just to match their salary.
Getting a guy who's already on a multi million dollar contract isn't buy low. Getting a guy who's on a rookie scale contract or MLE then he significantly outperforms that contract, is. Like Boozer or Okur. Or this season's Cam Reddish/PJ Washington.
Guys like Grant, Smart, Collins and Levert need to put up allstar type of numbers to even live up to their contracts, let alone outperforming them.
I think guys are sold low when their team is average or bad yet think said player can't help them in their current condition.

Like Kuzma. He could definitely help LA right now but they sold him for pennies on the dollar. Lonzo from NOLA to Chicago. Etc.

Value comes into it some, but that's not the concept at least to me.

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app

PJ Washington is the dark horse candidate who I would put ahead of both Grant and RoCo

I would put Kuzma on the list, tbh. He defends on the perimeter, he rebounds, he plays with energy, he shoots okay, and he's down to 2 knuckleheaded plays per name.