What's new

Stupid Pet Peeves

I always end up having to drop the legs to stop her from putting her hands in her poo, and then her bum gets dirty again. It's a losing battle.
Had a bad one tonight. Said **** it and just took her into the shower and sprayed her off.

When some ******* shows up five minutes into my daughter's soccer game (where the spectators bring their own chairs and sit down the sidelines) and then walks the entire length of the field, in front of the other spectators.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz

When some ******* shows up five minutes into my daughter's soccer game (where the spectators bring their own chairs and sit down the sidelines) and then walks the entire length of the field, in front of the other spectators.

I hate those kind of people.

Now that's interesting. Why? I'm intrigued.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using JazzFanz mobile app
Because 98% of novels are written in past tense. So when I read one that's written present tense I go through cycles of getting used to it then suddenly being thrown off again. About every two pages. (I'm currently reading one written that way that was recommended by someone, which is why I was reminded of this peeve today.)

A few pronunciation things that have been peeving me:

People who pronounce "Snyder" as "Schneider". One of the ESPN announcers was doing this other night with Quin Snyder.

People who pronounce "Realtor" as "Relator". There's a commercial running currently that does this (probably on 97.5 since that's what I most listen to). I'm sorry, but if you can't even pronounce your own career correctly, I'm not going to take your comercial seriously at all.

A Utah-ism: people who pronounce "sale" as "sell". I've lived here 10 years and this particular Utah accent thing still seems really odd to me.

Here's a Biblical one: People who pronounce "shew" as "shoe". 99.9% of LDS get this wrong. Sorry, folks, it's just an archaic spelling of the word "show". And it's pronounced "show". If it helps, you can think of it rhyming with "sew". You don't pronounce that as "sue" do you?

---

And not related to pronunciation, but people who use the word "moisture" as a synonym for "precipitation". It seems nearly every Sunday at church people in prayers give thanks for the moisture. What, did your basement flood? And why would you be thankful for that? If you're thankful for the rain or snow just say "rain" or "snow"! Or even "precipitation", that would be fine with me as well.

Is that one a Utah-wide thing, or is it only popular among Utah LDS? Can't recall if I've ever heard "moisture" used that way outside of church.

---

Thanks for letting me vent.

People who pronounce "Snyder" as "Schneider". One of the ESPN announcers was doing this other night with Quin Snyder.

People who pronounce "Realtor" as "Relator". There's a commercial running currently that does this (probably on 97.5 since that's what I most listen to). I'm sorry, but if you can't even pronounce your own career correctly, I'm not going to take your comercial seriously at all.

A Utah-ism: people who pronounce "sale" as "sell". I've lived here 10 years and this particular Utah accent thing still seems really odd to me.

Here's a Biblical one: People who pronounce "shew" as "shoe". 99.9% of LDS get this wrong. Sorry, folks, it's just an archaic spelling of the word "show". And it's pronounced "show". If it helps, you can think of it rhyming with "sew". You don't pronounce that as "sue" do you?

---

And not related to pronunciation, but people who use the word "moisture" as a synonym for "precipitation". It seems nearly every Sunday at church people in prayers give thanks for the moisture. What, did your basement flood? And why would you be thankful for that? If you're thankful for the rain or snow just say "rain" or "snow"! Or even "precipitation", that would be fine with me as well.

Is that one a Utah-wide thing, or is it only popular among Utah LDS? Can't recall if I've ever heard "moisture" used that way outside of church.

---

I didn't know the "shew" one. The trouble with pronouncing it correctly is that everyone will think you quoted it wrong.

And the moisture thing in prayers has bothered me for ages. No idea if it's just a Utah thing since I haven't been to church elsewhere for a long time.

I'm pretty sure I'm guilty of "sell," but only when I'm being lazy.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using JazzFanz mobile app

---

---

The short vowel thing is a very strong part of the Utah accent. "Rill" instead of "real". "Fill" instead of "feel". "Pen" instead of "pin" even. "Bin" instead of "been". Also using "was" as the all-purpose to-be verb. "We was", "they was", etc. I think it is a really lazy way of talking, and it sounds uneducated, just my opinion.

The moisture thing has bugged me for YEARS. I actually googled it once and found out it belongs to a class of words that many people find irritating and could even be deemed a psychological issue of sorts. I will google it again and post on it. But my wife knows that she will hear me venting as soon as I hear someone thankful for the moisture. And I have attended church in multiple states, although mostly in the west, and I have heard it just about everywhere (Utah, Nevada, Washington, Idaho, Arizona, Oregon, and even here in California).

---

---

How is "shew" pronounced?

One I ran into yesterday: people who insist on talking on the phone while their kids are screaming right next to them. I had a lady call me to schedule a job and she literally had to repeat everything at least twice because I couldn't hear her over the kids screaming. They must have been on her lap or right next to her with how loud they were coming through the phone.
Do everyone a favor and walk away from the screaming kids to make a phone call!

People that speed up and change into my lane in front of me and then slow back down to the speed limit. Especially if there are no cars behind me.

People that speed up and change into my lane in front of me and then slow back down to the speed limit. Especially if there are no cars behind me.

This is even better when they do this to get in front of you then immediately take the next exit, with no cars behind me or in between us. Yep, that guy saved 2.3 seconds with that maneuver. Gonna make all the difference.

One I ran into yesterday: people who insist on talking on the phone while their kids are screaming right next to them. I had a lady call me to schedule a job and she literally had to repeat everything at least twice because I couldn't hear her over the kids screaming. They must have been on her lap or right next to her with how loud they were coming through the phone.
Do everyone a favor and walk away from the screaming kids to make a phone call!

Along with this are people that refuse to stop a conversation or remove interruptions during a phone call. If you don't want to talk to me on the phone then just hang up, but don't say "hello" then keep talking to the kids, neighbor, dog, whatever. If you take a call have the common courtesy to actually, you know, talk to the person that called you.

It is pronounced "shoe".

iStock_000016647461_The-Amazon-Trail-300x213.jpg