What's new

Stupid Pet Peeves

People who are turning left at a green light and don't pull into the intersection. The light changes to yellow and they have time to turn but nobody behind them does.
THIS × a million

That is annoying but it is illegal in some states. Oregon for example you are not allowed to pull into the intersection until it is clear and you are turning. Some people might be used to different laws from their home state. Or you might be in a state that it is illegal in...

Huh.
Never knew that

When watching videos and the ad plays perfectly and the screen is clear as day but then buffers and looks like **** when the actual video is playing.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app

I fill rilly good about the dill we got on that mill. We was happy ta have such a good mill.

People who are turning left at a green light and don't pull into the intersection. The light changes to yellow and they have time to turn but nobody behind them does.

Here in Utah this usually means that not only does the initial car make a turn, 3 more behind him do as well.

When you're driving down a road with a single lane in each direction and no turn lane and the car ahead of you is turning (left or right) and instead of moving towards the side of the lane they turning towards they flare out the opposite direction of the turn preventing the people behind them from getting by.

Sent from my SM-J700P using JazzFanz mobile app

When you're driving down a road with a single lane in each direction and no turn lane and the car ahead of you is turning (left or right) and instead of moving towards the side of the lane they turning towards they flare out the opposite direction of the turn preventing the people behind them from getting by.

Haha how bout (Lay-un) we Turnip this in to positives pet peeve thread?

I like to pass fast lane cops, slow down to 45 mph, flip em off, point for there asses to get over, than speed up to like 90?

I drive like a *******?

No right turn on red signs.

I said this before I drive like a arse hole an am a highway dick. I almost got beat up today for honking at this guy at a red light with a no right turn on red sign. Dude broke my effin bumper jumpin on it.

Cops who skirt basic traffic safety laws (don't use their turn-signal, weave through traffic, don't fully stop on stop signs, etc.). The Moreno Valley police are horrendous about this kind of stuff.

I don't get the lack of turn signal usage in general. It absolutely is safer to let people know what you are doing. Except in Utah where if you use your turn signal you will get rammed by the soccer mom rushing her minivan ahead to fill the space before you take that precious piece of asphalt that is divinely hers, you mothe****er.

OMG, both the announcer AND FABIO must be from Utah since they don't say the "t" in butter!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xszIaNpYILY

My kid noticed this today. He's 14 and figuring out the driving thing quite well. Might have to get him a beater pickup/ramming machine.

OMG, both the announcer AND FABIO must be from Utah since they don't say the "t" in butter!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xszIaNpYILY

The announcer pretty much said butter the way everyone does, and Fabio has a foreign accent. So yeah pretty much nothing there. No one in America says "butt" then "er", it is always pronounced closer to "budder" since it is a dental stop in between voiced vowels, which tends to change a voiceless stop into a voiced stop, or "t" vs "d".

Man it has been a long time since I studied linguistics.

Lay-un, where the stop is more alveolar, although not really, is pretty unique to Utah in that particular context. All of my friends outside of Utah pronounce it either "lay-tun" or "lay-dun" with the emphasis on "lay". Sometimes more like "late-n", like the word late followed immediately with the consonant N, but with a noticeable "t" in the middle. No one that I have met outside of Utah make that weird vocal stop thing that Utahns do with the word.

I think it is almost like a glottal stop without the expelling of air afterward as is more normal with a glottal stop.

edit:

Yep that's it. Here is the explanation:

The glottal stop is a type of consonantal sound used in many spoken languages, produced by obstructing airflow in the vocal tract or, more precisely, the glottis. The symbol in the International Phonetic Alphabet that represents this sound is ⟨ʔ⟩. Using IPA, this sound is known as a glottal plosive.

In English, the (phonemic) glottal stop occurs as an open juncture (for example, between the vowel sounds in uh-oh!, in "grade A" as opposed to "gray day",[1]) and in T-glottalization. For most US English speakers, a glottal stop is used as an allophone of /t/ between a vowel and "m" (as in atmosphere or Batman) or a syllabic "n" (as in button or mountain) except in slow speech

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glottal_stop

The funny thing is I don't hear anyone without the Utah accent say it so pronounced in the word Layton as I do from people in Utah. Most people from outside Utah actually say the "t" with a soft dental stop. Most of those with a true Utah accent use the glottal stop in a very pronounced way in that word.

edit once more:

Ok so now people at work think I am crazy because I just asked a group of people to read the word "Layton" I had written on a post-it note. There were 6 people, 2 native Spanish speakers. Both native Spanish speakers said a pronounced "t" sound in the middle. 3 of the other 4 said a glottal stop like in "button" but with a clear "t" sound as part of it. One person said "lay-un" almost exactly like I hear in Utahns. He happens to be from Wyoming. No idea if that makes a difference. Interesting experiment though.

There are no voiceless vowels.

I already mentioned the glottal stop.

Non-native speakers of a language are notorious for not applying a language's allophonic rules. It's how you tell it's a foreign accent.

It's basically not an unexpected result to have Layton pronounced with a glottal stop, so it's mind boggling to me, and thus a pet peeve, that people complain that people do it. The speaker and receiver understand what's being said. That's the point of language.

This just came up on my Facebook memories from two years ago, entitled "Pet peeve of the day (and other days)." It's still a pet peeve.

"Why do people go onto the comments section of a news story to add two words: "Who cares?" If you don't care, why did you read the story? If you don't care, why spend the time commenting? Perhaps you are trying to prove that you are superior to those who do care about the article, but those two words only show that you do not understand that not everyone thinks exactly like you and that you are lacking an empathy gene."

This just came up on my Facebook memories from two years ago, entitled "Pet peeve of the day (and other days)." It's still a pet peeve.

"Why do people go onto the comments section of a news story to add two words: "Who cares?" If you don't care, why did you read the story? If you don't care, why spend the time commenting? Perhaps you are trying to prove that you are superior to those who do care about the article, but those two words only show that you do not understand that not everyone thinks exactly like you and that you are lacking an empathy gene."

This and more than that most of the time they have no life, nothing and no one to make them feel they matter, so they need to keep bugging people with the wuss bully inside of them in order to forget the idea that captures their subconscience: they are a loser.

While the topic is shifted towards the stupid *** facebook, might I add that I freaking hate the random friendship video they keep posting with that lame *** music on the background alongside totally random photos with totally random comments under them. Facebook freaking sucks.

Speaking of Facebook, a major annoyance are those sponsored link to noteworthy news that never seem to get to the actual news story. You click the link and get to a brief attention-grabbing headline, a bunch of ads with "continue" links that you click thinking the new story will continue but it's just the ad that continues. Finally there's a link that continues the actual story but it ends up just continuing a sentence or two but still doesn't get to the "meat" of the story. At that point I just give up.

Speaking of Facebook, a major annoyance are those sponsored link to noteworthy news that never seem to get to the actual news story. You click the link and get to a brief attention-grabbing headline, a bunch of ads with "continue" links that you click thinking the new story will continue but it's just the ad that continues. Finally there's a link that continues the actual story but it ends up just continuing a sentence or two but still doesn't get to the "meat" of the story. At that point I just give up.

I remember when facepage came out. MySpace again. **** that noise.

It's pretty awesome not playing facepage. I get cute videos of kids that I actually give a **** about, people call and talk to me cuz they know I didn't see their facepage post, I miss all the drama(though in person I still have to tell people(sistrr) that I don't care), I don't friend or defriend to avoid nontroversy, I get real news, and I keep in touch with everyone I want to cuz facepage is not the only form of communication available to me.