What's new

Stupid Pet Peeves

FedEx

A few times recently I have ordered something online from somewhere other than Amazon. The seller uses FedEx for shipping. Shipping estimate says like 9 days. A few days after the order FedEx is like "Yo, we're actually gonna get that **** to you in 7 days! Dope, right?" and I'm like that's nice. Then the day it is now scheduled to be delivered arrives the status still says scheduled to be delivered today but the package is listed as being in Wamsutter, WY and it's 3pm. Package doesn't get delivered, but that's okay sort of because this was "early" based on the original delivery estimate. Next day I check the status and it still shows scheduled to be delivered yesterday but the package is now in North Salt Lake so I figure they might get it out today or tomorrow and still meet the original estimate.

Nope

Next day, which is the originally estimated day status has changed to Delayed Updated Delivery Pending.

Next day, original estimated delivery +1, still delayed pending blah blah blah

Next day, +2, delayed pending.

This has now happened 3-4 times in the last few months with FedEx. This doesn't happen with UPS. They tell you the day it's going to be delivered and they deliver it that day. Amazon's "TBA" deliveries have their issues, but they usually get it to you on the day they promise, even if they decide to give it to your neighbor for the 10th time.

Why does FedEx suck so bad? I used to think of them as the premium delivery service.

I've read the FedEx distribution center in Salt Lake is notoriously bad. We're talking, like, Nero levels of incompetence.
My experience has been that once there has been an exception it's a complete crap shoot what's gonna happen next. A few times it is still listed as delayed pending but shows up on my porch and status goes to delivered. Other times they've taken 2-3 shots at predicting a new day only to not make it.

I can believe that the Salt Lake distribution center is a circus.

FedEx

A few times recently I have ordered something online from somewhere other than Amazon. The seller uses FedEx for shipping. Shipping estimate says like 9 days. A few days after the order FedEx is like "Yo, we're actually gonna get that **** to you in 7 days! Dope, right?" and I'm like that's nice. Then the day it is now scheduled to be delivered arrives the status still says scheduled to be delivered today but the package is listed as being in Wamsutter, WY and it's 3pm. Package doesn't get delivered, but that's okay sort of because this was "early" based on the original delivery estimate. Next day I check the status and it still shows scheduled to be delivered yesterday but the package is now in North Salt Lake so I figure they might get it out today or tomorrow and still meet the original estimate.

Nope

Next day, which is the originally estimated day status has changed to Delayed Updated Delivery Pending.

Next day, original estimated delivery +1, still delayed pending blah blah blah

Next day, +2, delayed pending.

This has now happened 3-4 times in the last few months with FedEx. This doesn't happen with UPS. They tell you the day it's going to be delivered and they deliver it that day. Amazon's "TBA" deliveries have their issues, but they usually get it to you on the day they promise, even if they decide to give it to your neighbor for the 10th time.

Why does FedEx suck so bad? I used to think of them as the premium delivery service.
Fedex also is notorious for damaging packages. Especially large and heavy packages. Much worse that UPS

Fedex also is notorious for damaging packages. Especially large and heavy packages. Much worse that UPS

DHL are awesome, same week delivery from Germany on a regular basis, also their surface shipping is incredibly cheap, looked at importing rare BMW rims from Germany less than 200 bucks per set.

1) That I wind up being grateful for the gun control legislation that will pass, because as weka as it is, it's still better than the nothing I thought would happen.

2) That 2 of the 31 men arrested in Idaho felt they had to go up there from the St. Louis region. Our home-grown LGBTQ+ people aren't good enough to protest?

Bad drivers. **** em all.
China obviously is just a complete different driving style. Its generally more of a first come first go type of thing that leads to aggressive driving at times but also never really slow driving in areas where you just drifting into lanes/turns. Generally I like driving here because I can get around well in this style and drivers are more alert. But I am on my electric motorcycle and usually in a bike line. Cars have a bad habit of when they turn right they dont stop first they just pull as far forward as possible then just slowly inch forward until they are in the lane and can go. For me it means that cars turning right cut me off without looking then stop right in front of me, It drives me crazy. But I can get across town in 20 minutes which would take a car an hour or more depending on traffic.

China obviously is just a complete different driving style. Its generally more of a first come first go type of thing that leads to aggressive driving at times but also never really slow driving in areas where you just drifting into lanes/turns. Generally I like driving here because I can get around well in this style and drivers are more alert. But I am on my electric motorcycle and usually in a bike line. Cars have a bad habit of when they turn right they dont stop first they just pull as far forward as possible then just slowly inch forward until they are in the lane and can go. For me it means that cars turning right cut me off without looking then stop right in front of me, It drives me crazy. But I can get across town in 20 minutes which would take a car an hour or more depending on traffic.
Do they have many bad accidents? I'm guessing most of what happens are little fender benders. I think people in the U.S. are way too afraid when making sub 25mph maneuvers like their car will explode if they touch another vehicle. The reality is that you can usually stop or whatever when going that slow and not have an accident at all, but that when an accident does happen it's not that big a deal.

Do they have many bad accidents? I'm guessing most of what happens are little fender benders. I think people in the U.S. are way too afraid when making sub 25mph maneuvers like their car will explode if they touch another vehicle. The reality is that you can usually stop or whatever when going that slow and not have an accident at all, but that when an accident does happen it's not that big a deal.
I know statistically they have more accidents. Beijing seems to have a decent amount, I dont know the numbers from deaths or serious accidents though, my guess is its also higher though. Anecdotally I am shocked how few accidents I see in a day compared with how many i see in the USA. By far the majority are electric motorcycles and scooter wrecks. They dont look that bad, but people are willing to get hit here for compensation sometimes. People hit on their bike, especially older people will lay on the ground and act dead even if its a minor thing to get money.

In big cities I think for the number of wrecks they are usually small fender benders. In more rural China or 3rd/4th tier cities (still giant by my standards) wrecks can be really bad, because people dont stop at lights and stop signs properly. Those lead to really bad accidents. When was living more rural I saw more wrecks and they were worse.

A woman who is really important to me, been my friend, my lover and just a caring person in my life is going through a world of ****. She lives in Sydney and nearly got arrested tonight, I dunno how its going to wash up. I'm so ****ing worried about her.

A woman who is really important to me, been my friend, my lover and just a caring person in my life is going through a world of ****. She lives in Sydney and nearly got arrested tonight, I dunno how its going to wash up. I'm so ****ing worried about her.
Sorry to hear that bro. I hope she figures things out. Tough to watch someone you care for struggle.

Sorry to hear that bro. I hope she figures things out. Tough to watch someone you care for struggle.

Mate I spoke to the cops on scene in Sydney (im 880kms away in Melbourne) I cant get up there to be with her ive got a family funeral this weekend. Im at home 3 in the morning waiting to hear from her. Taken tomorrow off ****ing sitting by my phone not sleeping.

Whole deal is ****ed, if we lived in the same city we'd both probably be unemployed ****ing in a gutter. I really think she should move to Melbourne and live with me. Maybe I just want that so I can look after her. Im suck a paternalistic ****.

Driving on a residential street, I stop at a stop sign. Someone pulls around on my left, rolls the sign, and (because their driving a behemoth and I have my Spark), still fails to pull ahead. We continue almost beside each other for a half-block, and then I see someone approaching from the other direction. I have zero hesitation about slowing down and letting the behemoth pass me. Who wants that kind of stupid on their rear bumper?

I have managed to never have back issues.

Last 5 days... back issues.

FML

I have managed to never have back issues.

Last 5 days... back issues.

FML

Welcome to my life of stretching every morning for an hour just to tie your shoelaces....

edit

In other news the ongoing issues complicating my affairs are in a holding pattern, who knows what will go on with that. Pretty sure I'll be the last person to know.

Last edited:
In other news the ongoing issues complicating my affairs are in a holding pattern, who knows what will go on with that. Pretty sure I'll be the last person to know.
Honestly, some days I almost wish that was possible to never care about anyone else. Good luck with it all.