What's new

Suggestions Needed - Parent on Hospice

JazzGal

Contributor
2022 Award Winner
2023 Award Winner
My father is going on hospice today. This final illness has come on very suddenly and my siblings and I are overwhelmed in how to close out a parent's life. If any of you have gone through this, please let me know the things you learned and also what you wished you had done differently. TIA.

Sent from my moto z3 using JazzFanz mobile app

Had this happen with my mom. I don’t have much advice other than say the thing you need to and hopefully you have family around supporting you. My wife was absolutely rock solid for me and my whole family during that time. Deepest sympathies your way. It is a rough way out and is just heartbreaking. We did home hospice and so I was happy my mom got to pass laying in her favorite spot in the house. Sending all the good vibes your way.

My dad has been living alone in an apartment to which he will never now return. He is overwhelmed as well because he suddenly has very little say in his life. He will be staying with his wife, but they haven't lived together for years. But we didn't really have any other options. In a way, I hope he passes quickly for his own sake.

My dad has been living alone in an apartment to which he will never now return. He is overwhelmed as well because he suddenly has very little say in his life. He will be staying with his wife, but they haven't lived together for years. But we didn't really have any other options. In a way, I hope he passes quickly for his own sake.

I totally feel for you... I'm a couple states away and was in a meeting when I got the call about my mom taking a turn for the worse that couldn't be stopped. The docs didn't know if I could get there on time even if I jumped on a flight right then. I left the meeting and went to the airport. When I got there everyone said my mom picked up her energy and health and was totally different. I spent the next 4-5 days literally sleeping and living in the hospital waiting room... finally we did hospice. All and all it was about 2 weeks from call to passing.

It never seems to go as fast as you want unfortunately. Feels like there should be a more humane way to deal with it. I am sure that was the worst couple weeks of my life... all happened over the holidays. Going quickly is a true blessing if it happens that way.

I'm sorry, for you and your dad. It sounds like he is very independent, this may be hard for him. Hopefully, he can accept what is and find peace. Best of luck to you.

My parents are not there yet. But I was very, very close to my paternal grandparents and was there for both of them at the end. Grandpa hung on for three days while many of us waited close by. For about one hour all of us needed to be somewhere else, only one person stayed with him, and that is when he finally passed. I wondered if he was fighting to hang on for all of us, and wished he would have known it was okay to stop fighting sooner.

My wife spent an entire month with her father while he was on hospice. Believe it or not she wishes she had spent more time with her family than just sitting by the bedside. For the last 2-3 weeks he was non-responsive and basically comatose. She was there when he was still coherent and that was the best time for her. It was very difficult. It's a tough time for all involved. You have my sincerest condolences. I guess the only advice I could offer is to cherish and spend time with your family at this time as well. I deeply dread the day when we go through this with my parents. My dad is my best friend. I wish you and your father peace and a quiet and happy transition as much as that is possible.

One more thing, my wife took pictures right up to the end and really regrets that. Because when she looks back at it the first pictures she sees are him at the very end and that isn't how she wants to remember him. Something to think about.

One more thing, my wife took pictures right up to the end and really regrets that. Because when she looks back at it the first pictures she sees are him at the very end and that isn't how she wants to remember him. Something to think about.

That's actually good advice. How he looks now is not the pictures we would be wanting to show at his funeral for sure.

I was the estranged member of the family and got the call from my mom when she went to hospice as I literally pulled into my church's parking lot to leave with my religious brothers for a weekend long men's retreat. We had not talked in years but we said our goodbyes and that we loved each other. I balled in the parking lot for the next hour as we loaded the vehicles with camping gear. Two days later as we were carpooling to Sunday service, I got the text that she passed. I balled for the next two hours during and after service. It was overwhelming that this scenario happened when I had these men to lean on and tears just ran down my face the whole time.

I'm not sure I have any help to you at this time but a man once asked me a question that might be approiate at this time.

He asked: What's most important with those you care about, quality time or quantity time?

The answer is both.

I hope it helps and that everything works out for you.

My wife spent an entire month with her father while he was on hospice. Believe it or not she wishes she had spent more time with her family than just sitting by the bedside. For the last 2-3 weeks he was non-responsive and basically comatose. She was there when he was still coherent and that was the best time for her. It was very difficult. It's a tough time for all involved. You have my sincerest condolences. I guess the only advice I could offer is to cherish and spend time with your family at this time as well. I deeply dread the day when we go through this with my parents. My dad is my best friend. I wish you and your father peace and a quiet and happy transition as much as that is possible.

It is such an ugly process watching them wither away... Those that care for the terminally ill have a special place in heaven. My wife did all the ugly stuff for my mom the last couple weeks and spared the rest of the family some of those things. Kind of ironic because when my mom first met her she thought she was a spoiled California girl. My wife jumped in and did the bathing, bathroom, etc. without hesitation or complaint... I helped, but she shielded me from having those duties much of the time. I'm going to give her a huge hug when I get home. I forget how awesome she is sometimes.

JazzGal
My deepest sympathies for you and all of your father's loved ones. This is a hard experience. My mom had a blocked colon, and at her advanced age the doctors thought an operation would kill her. She could not eat or pass much. We thought she would pass in February, but she rallied when we all came to visit. She finally passed in August. She stayed in home hospice with a nurse visiting twice a week to manage the pain. Dad was also given the responsibility to administer her drops of morphine in case of extreme pain. She refused to go into hospice and stayed at home until she passed. Dad fell and broke his hip and passed within two weeks of her passing.

I don't have any magic thoughts or words that will make this any easier for you. I wish I did. I did find comfort in being able to say goodbye and share memories with them both. We were all able to come home for a couple of weeks before mom passed. I came to look on it as a blessing. They knew they were loved and appreciated. It was hard to witness mom's slow painful decline, and the home hospice nurse was only there to deal with pain management and other medication. We took care of the duties as a family. She was in and out of lucidity, but the moments that were good were precious. She could enjoy her family gathering around her and felt loved before she finally went.

All the best to you and yours.

My Grandma just passed in August after battling dementia/Alzheimer’s for years. The end came quickly, relatively speaking. She had what the doctors think was lung cancer and in her state/health, there was nothing they could really do. He lungs filled with fluid almost as fast as they could be emptied.
I know my situation is a little different as it’s grandparent vs. parent, but the only advise I can give is to say your goodbyes sooner than later. Talk with him while he’s lucid. Record him telling you stories of his life and childhood. Even if it’s just audio recordings. I learned things about my grandparents in the last week of her life and at the funeral. Looking back, I wish I would have done more of this.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app

That's actually good advice. How he looks now is not the pictures we would be wanting to show at his funeral for sure.
Yeah the really sad thing is my wife wishes she had never taken those pictures but can't bring herself to delete them. It's a bad catch 22.

My stepmother died last year, exactly one month short of their 45 year anniversary. After over a decade of constant pain, she ended up doing VSED, which stands for Voluntary Stopping Eating and Drinking. It was very hard on us all, obviously, but the last few weeks they had in-home hospice care, which made all the difference. They made sure she was comfortable, and also made sure my dad was taking care of himself, which he had kind of put on a back burner to care for her.

Make sure that you know what his wishes for end of life care are. Does he want to be kept going as long as possible, or only take basic measures?

This is a very difficult period, I know, because I experienced it with my father. Be ready because anything could happen, especially if your father is with his estranged wife. If their relationship is still poor, it will be even more difficult for your father.

It was on a Wednesday that they put my father in Hospice. He was so depressed. I had all I could do not to break out into tears in front of him. He looked so helpless. I remember three days later, in the morning, my mother calls me, and tells me I needed to come quick. When I got there, they had already given him the morphine and my mother said my father asked her to continue to give it to him because he no longer wanted to live. He was barely conscious. And for the next 6-7 hours, he would briefly open his every so often and look around. I don't remember exactly how we knew he was going to pass, but just before he did, he opened his eyes, raised his head and looked around at us as we were all standing around the bed, my family and a couple of his friends, and then he lowered his head and we heard the sounds a body makes when it shuts down. I put my fingers on his pulse and felt it gradually slip away.

It sure isn't easy getting out of this life. Thanks for sharing your stories.

Once my dad accepted the reality of his situation, he has been at peace with it. He's ready to go and hopes it will be soon. For his sake, and for ours as well, I hope so too.

My dad has not been a good father and we aren't close and never have been, even when we were children. But I feel more compassion for him now than I ever have, and he's actually being the father I wish he had always been. He already gave us his goodbye speech in case he never saw us all together again, and it was quite moving. It has been quite an experience so far.

It won't be long now. My siblings and I went to see him tonight and say our goodbyes in case we don't make it down in time for his passing (he's a little over an hour away).

His wife has done an amazing job taking care of him, and we will be eternally grateful.

I guess I will be spending time tomorrow attempting to write an obituary. This is all very surreal.

There's nothing more that can be done? I'm sorry to hear about your father. Hopefully he can fight what he is battling and give you some more years.

There's nothing more that can be done? I'm sorry to hear about your father. Hopefully he can fight what he is battling and give you some more years.
Hospice is what happens when you're waiting for the end. It is intended to provide comfort as opposed to treatments.

It was very frustrating to me when my mother went into home hospice and I took FMLA so that I could care for her and my supervisor was asking for updates and saying "I hope she gets better soon."