What's new

Summer 2019 Roster Discussion

I'm really not sure that Randle being your #2 offensive option is a good idea either but I do like that he gives the Jazz a different look offensively.
I don't think Gobert or Ingles are 2nd option type players. So it comes down to Exum, another PG or Randle or another PF. I doubt we get an elite scoring wing. Those are hard to come by.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

The Charlotte Hornets are currently 7th in the East (27-30), only half a game ahead of 8th place Detroit and 9th place Miami, and only 1 game ahead of 10th place Orlando. They have second most difficult remaining schedule of any team. I think that that they are going to miss the playoffs again. They are in a hellish cap situation. Their audience was a dud at All Star weekend.

KEMBA. Go try to get Kemba DL. Offer him the max the minute free agency opens.

Player 1 - Age 24 season Per 100 possessions

33.7 pts
13.2 reb
5.4 assists
3.9 TO
27% from 3
71.5% ft per
58% TS%
29% Usage Rate

Player 2 - Age 24 season per 100 possessions

32 pts.
14.5 rebs
4.7 assists
4.2 TO
34% from 3
74% FT per
61.4% TS%
26.7 Usage rate

Both guys play PF... who you want?

The Charlotte Hornets are currently 7th in the East (27-30), only half a game ahead of 8th place Detroit and 9th place Miami, and only 1 game ahead of 10th place Orlando. They have second most difficult remaining schedule of any team. I think that that they are going to miss the playoffs again. They are in a hellish cap situation. Their audience was a dud at All Star weekend.

KEMBA. Go try to get Kemba DL. Offer him the max the minute free agency opens.

Except they can give him 5 year megamax and he likes it there. I'll bet he stays or ends up with the Lakers or Knicks.

So what do you guy's think is going to happen with Favors and Rubio? Both back next season, neither back next season, Favors back but Rubio gone, Rubio back but Favors gone, what do you think?
As of today, I think we keep one and let the other walk.

After the playoffs, I think we will decide to move on from both. I just got a bad feeling about this playoffs. If we don't get out of the first round, we really don't have to bring either guy back.

I mean you're not wrong as even Jae Crowder's 33% opens things up, it's more the price tag that makes me hesitant.

Crowder, IIRC, shoots a very good percentage from the top of the arc on 3s, as opposed to the corner. If Randle is hitting 35% primarily from the corners, he's not doing much there we don't already get from Favors.

As of today, I think we keep one and let the other walk.

After the playoffs, I think we will decide to move on from both. I just got a bad feeling about this playoffs. If we don't get out of the first round, we really don't have to bring either guy back.

I agree, I think not making it out of the first round is the one thing that might force Dennis Lindsey's hand a little bit and cause him to do something bold. That's the only way I see both guy's being let go. If we make it to the second round I think one or both are likely back again next season.

Last edited:
I think they’ll be pressured to do something different and the things that they want to do won’t be realistic options, so I expect a trade for Kevin Love. If Rubio signs somewhere else then that increases odds of keeping Favors, but I don’t know what other move we make in that scenario.

I've been against trading for Love but honestly if the choice is between that and running it back with the same team again I think I'd prefer Love.

Crowder, IIRC, shoots a very good percentage from the top of the arc on 3s, as opposed to the corner. If Randle is hitting 35% primarily from the corners, he's not doing much there we don't already get from Favors.
12% of Randle's 3 point attempts come from the corner... he shoots 30.8%... shooting 34.3% from 3 overall... so he's solid above the break... the attempts are the difference between him and Jae.

He does a lot more than Favs with the ball and does a lot of different things than Jae. He's a foul magnet and shoots a ton at the rim... making a high percentage.

Crowder and Royce could still function as our stretch 4s... Randle could play 20 minutes at pf and 10-12 minutes at center.

I've been against trading for Love but honestly if the choice is between that and running it back with the same team again I think I'd prefer Love.
When the moratorium is ending and everyone else has committed to somewhere, running it back won’t be an option of we’ve literally made no moves, and that’s when I anticipate we’ll move for Love, and the Cavs being dumb thinking they’ll get return on Love, and us being in a somewhat desperate predicament, we’ll pony up a first and second rounder.

When the moratorium is ending and everyone else has committed to somewhere, running it back won’t be an option of we’ve literally made no moves, and that’s when I anticipate we’ll move for Love, and the Cavs being dumb thinking they’ll get return on Love, and us being in a somewhat desperate predicament, we’ll pony up a first and second rounder.
I would rather trade our cap space for bad contracts and picks than Kevin Love. His contract is just too severe. I'm not worried about next season but seasons 3 and 4 really worry me.

I would rather trade our cap space for bad contracts and picks than Kevin Love. His contract is just too severe. I'm not worried about next season but seasons 3 and 4 really worry me.

I mean, I’m not saying this is what I think should happen, just what I think is most likely to happen.

Except they can give him 5 year megamax and he likes it there. I'll bet he stays or ends up with the Lakers or Knicks.

He may like it in Charlotte but he literally can't win there. Never ever. And the Knicks and Lakers will be targeting bigger fish (AD, KD, Kyrie, Kawhi). If we contact him the minute free agency opens I think we can make a great pitch and have a decent chance.

Player 1 - Age 24 season Per 100 possessions

33.7 pts
13.2 reb
5.4 assists
3.9 TO
27% from 3
71.5% ft per
58% TS%
29% Usage Rate

Player 2 - Age 24 season per 100 possessions

32 pts.
14.5 rebs
4.7 assists
4.2 TO
34% from 3
74% FT per
61.4% TS%
26.7 Usage rate

Both guys play PF... who you want?

Player 2

It's funny that LA had 5 main young guys and the two best guys as of right now are arguably the two guys they let go:

Russell
Randle
Ingram
Kuzma
Lonzo

Maybe the secret is getting Lonzo, Ingram or Kuzma out of LA....

I'm very intrigued by the idea of Julius Randle. Like others I'm unsure about whether he'd be a good fit next to Rudy. But he's improved so much since entering the league. He seems to have a great work ethic. I think our development staff could help him continue that upward arc. He can really score and is efficient offensively. I think with work he could improve in areas that aren't his strength like defense and taking care of the ball.

He may like it in Charlotte but he literally can't win there. Never ever. And the Knicks and Lakers will be targeting bigger fish (AD, KD, Kyrie, Kawhi). If we contact him the minute free agency opens I think we can make a great pitch and have a decent chance.
Charlotte has so much potential for 2020. They have Biyombo, MKG, and Marvin expiring. If Monk and Bridges can become just pretty good, they are a decent player away from being relevant in the East.

If they could trade Batum or Zeller & expiring for Love, they could add another piece in 2020 and be pretty good for the East.