What's new

Summer 2019 Roster Discussion

12% of Randle's 3 point attempts come from the corner... he shoots 30.8%... shooting 34.3% from 3 overall... so he's solid above the break... the attempts are the difference between him and Jae.

He does a lot more than Favs with the ball and does a lot of different things than Jae. He's a foul magnet and shoots a ton at the rim... making a high percentage.

Crowder and Royce could still function as our stretch 4s... Randle could play 20 minutes at pf and 10-12 minutes at center.
Can he play the 5 though?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/hoopsh...ns-julius-randle-small-ball-hasnt-worked/amp/

The Lakers pretty much just replaced Randle with the best player on the planet, Lance, Rondo, and Chandler. And they are still a .500 team. They are a broken team.

I don't think Randle carries a team to a winning record. However, I also don't believe that he carries his teams to losses.

I think he is a Zach Randolph or Chris Bosh type player. When those guys were on their own, they put up some good stats but their teams were average. When they join a good team, their stats take a dip but their new team gets the best from them. I think we are a better team than NOLA for sure and Randle fits our needs like a glove.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app
I’m done talking to someone with no real sense of reality, Holy ****, are you being serious?!?! Idiot!!

Carmelo Anthony also won a National championship, so what.

Pels made second round last year. If he’s sooo good, shouldn’t he elevate the pels from where they were last year with Davis. They weren’t good even befor the Davis drama started, for all we know, he doesn’t even like playing with Randle’s style of hero ball and tunnel vision.

Face it he’s not who we want as a second option. We should be shooting for guys like Harris and Klay with Niko as a fall back plan. Randle is just a horrible idea that makes our offense less consistent then it already is. You add Randle, and you are taking the ball away from Mitchell and opportunities away from Gobert. Randle IMO is poison to this offense.
When Mitchell has the ball in his hands rudy hardly gets opportunities anyway. Donovan is a shoot first pg. Not a great way for your team to run

Every team in the league has nba level starters on its roster. Every team in the league has players we would want.

But that (inferior) team's first and second best players are arguably (probably according to most non-Jazz fans) better than our first and second best players. And yet we're pining for what had been their third and fourth best players to be the second scoring option on our (much more successful) team, talking like either one of them (along with losing one of our own starters) would turn us from at least a good to a very good team.

Maybe Dell Demps shouldn't have lost his job if he was able to put together that collection of talent. Or maybe we're placing too much hope that Randle or Mirotic would be huge difference makers.

I mean unless it is prime Shaq out there I'm not sure any center is carrying a lineup of pelican's bench guys to success.

IDK... Randle is not an ideal fit. I just think he's a better fit. Guys calling him a black hole... need to slow down. He gets a decent amount of assists for a big. He probably holds the ball a little too long though... so I get the bad fit issue.

All FAs get overpaid... a 4 year max for Middleton is overpaying... but he will get it. Randle may be the rare undervalued guy if the shooting continues to improve. I don't think Randle gets the max... think he gets between 18-25M per year... get him at the lower number and there could be some serious value there.

Everyone goes bonkers for Aaron Gordon, who is just a year younger, and Gordon is a better passer (maybe) less turnover prone, but a way less efficient scorer on a lot less volume. Gordon is a better outside shooter I guess... better defender, but I'm not sure he's elite on that side of the ball. I get that he is playing out of position and there is some mystery there.

I think Randle is an interesting plan D or E... I'm not completely sold, but some are acting like he's trash. It isn't his fault he was on some awful LA teams and has been involved in this NOLA season... I'm not ready to call him a "good stats bad team" guy yet.

I mean unless it is prime Shaq out there I'm not sure any center is carrying a lineup of pelican's bench guys to success.

IDK... Randle is not an ideal fit. I just think he's a better fit. Guys calling him a black hole... need to slow down. He gets a decent amount of assists for a big. He probably holds the ball a little too long though... so I get the bad fit issue.

All FAs get overpaid... a 4 year max for Middleton is overpaying... but he will get it. Randle may be the rare undervalued guy if the shooting continues to improve. I don't think Randle gets the max... think he gets between 18-25M per year... get him at the lower number and there could be some serious value there.

Everyone goes bonkers for Aaron Gordon, who is just a year younger, and Gordon is a better passer (maybe) less turnover prone, but a way less efficient scorer on a lot less volume. Gordon is a better outside shooter I guess... better defender, but I'm not sure he's elite on that side of the ball. I get that he is playing out of position and there is some mystery there.

I think Randle is an interesting plan D or E... I'm not completely sold, but some are acting like he's trash. It isn't his fault he was on some awful LA teams and has been involved in this NOLA season... I'm not ready to call him a "good stats bad team" guy yet.

Great post.

I like other guys more, but I would be very happy to add Randle this offseason. If I had the choice of one year of Favors at $17 million or be aggressive by signing Randle to something in the low $20's, I'm definitely going with Randle.

But we aren't going to get him. Likely we won't get Tobias, Middleton or other main free agents either. I think we are looking at a Niko overpay, keeping Favors, trading for Love or getting creative. I hope it's the last option.

Your not even getting to the third round with Randle as your #2 option. Why can’t anyone see that.

You are just saying stuff... with no facts or anything to back it. You could say Middleton/Harris/almost all of the guys we mention are not qualified to be #2 options on a conference finals team.

I'm not sure why a guy who scores at a rate per 100 possessions that is almost exactly the same as donovan and does it on a 61.4% TS percentage (better than Tobias's TS%... just to give you an idea Harden is 62.2%) couldn't be a number 2 scorer on a team with other efficient guys like Rudy and Joe.

I can see someone saying his defense would be a problem. I understand a little bit of the ball stopper thing... he's better than you are giving him credit for and he's young... guys improve... he's gotten better every year in ****** development environments.

I'd be great to get Steph or KD, but we may have to take imperfect parts and make them better... cuz those dudes ain't walking through our door.

Middleton/Harris/almost all of the guys we mention are not qualified to be #2

None of those guys would be second or third options. 1,2,3rd options belong to Mitchell Gobert and Ingles. That is the basis to how this offense is run. Guys like Harris Middleton and Niko would be cogs, pieces that fit a puzzle and complete the offense enhancing and elevate the effectiveness of what makes up the jazz offense. DM, Gobert, and Ingles.

Randle is the exact opposite, he is a square peg trying to fit in a round hole. He would actually force his way into the role of second option, interrupting what the core of this offense has. Randle takes the ball out of both Ingles and Mitchell’s hands and still tries to occupy the same space Gobert needs while one of Harris Niko or Middleton allow Mitchell and Ingles to run the offense and give Gobert space to operate seamlessly in the pick’n roll. These are guys that don’t hold the ball too long or need the ball all that much, so while that is the case, they are efficient, and effective scorers that don’t get in the way, but are pieces that help unlock the secrets of this offense and propel the jazz to contention. You don’t just sign a guy like Randle to globs of money because he can score 20 points a game and shot over 30% for the first time in his career. That’s why they call it jazz dna. Harris , Middleton and Niko have it because each would fit what the jazz want to do.

Case and point is how the jazz finally broke through in the Stockton and Malone days. They had a big three of Stockton, K Malone and J Malone. Jeff was a 20 point scorer, and talented offensive player, but had his flaws because he could only space the floor to a certain point and was limited within the offense because he occupied the same space as Karl, but then traded him for Horny who was that missing piece. He was the missing piece because he complimented the offense instead of hindering it. One of Niko, Harris, or Middleton are our Horny in a matter of speaking. Yes, Randle is talented and can score, but he doesn’t fit, likewise Those other players are talented and enhance the offense because they aren’t getting in the way and give the type of offense we are lacking. They can act as a second option to take pressure off Mitchell without actually being the actual second option.

But every team he's been on has been wildly worse on defense when he plays center. Like incredibly bad.

Randle's cool if you have a floor spacing center who's also great on defense.

Oh wait, he had that this year with Anthony Davis, the guy who is the best player in the world at that role and they still sucked.

He's just not a fit with Gobert at all and if you plan to play him at the backup 5 your defense is going to be horrendous for those minutes.

He isnt a plan E or F because you dont overpay a guy who is that low on your priority list.