What's new

Summer League: Jazz vs. 76ers Tuesday 9am (wake up early)

Stockton is too weak right now. He is good, but he needs to get a lot stronger. He was tossed around out there.

Need to see more of Murphy. But as some have said, he reminds you of CJ, only not as athletic.
Question is, can he have the same career trajectory: namely, shooting stats that decline for 4 straight seasons?
Somehow, I think Murphy can at least equal CJ's stellar 11-12 season of 38%/31%. Better yet, Murphy won't need playing time over better players like Hayward. Burks and Marvin Williams.

Locke cracks me up. Didn't he "break" the story of Burks playing 1 in Summer League? He hasn't played a minute of 1 unless you can't the 3 or 4 Iso's to close this game. At least he looks good.

Locke cracks me up. Didn't he "break" the story of Burks playing 1 in Summer League? He hasn't played a minute of 1 unless you can't the 3 or 4 Iso's to close this game. At least he looks good.

I liked where Burks showed off his point guard skills today @ 0:26 mark:

https://www.nba.com/summer-league/games/20120710/PHIUTA/gameinfo.html

See how wide open Michael Stockton is and Burks hits him perfectly with a pass instead of getting lucky on a horrible shot? Excellent court vision right there. Look at Stockton's body language, he's like WTF man, shoot the damn ball you unselfish *******.

I liked where Burks showed off his point guard skills today @ 0:26 mark:

https://www.nba.com/summer-league/games/20120710/PHIUTA/gameinfo.html

See how wide open Michael Stockton is and Burks hits him perfectly with a pass instead of getting lucky on a horrible shot? Excellent court vision right there. Look at Stockton's body language, he's like WTF man, shoot the damn ball you unselfish *******.

Oh, right, you're talking about that 3-pt play that Burks completed. . . . . .... .. . .... gotcha.

SLTrib Article:

Article: Alec Burks came to #NBA #SummerLeague to prove a point.

He knows the #UtahJazz are watching. He’s aware Utah’s starting shooting guard is up for grabs. He believes the position should one day belong to him.

So Burks unleashed a one-man show Tuesday ...
-sigh- here we go again, with two players (Burks and Hayward) who both have a case to be the starting 2 sharing the minutes. The only answer is to move Hayward to the 3, which isn't a bad idea except that means we traded a starting former all star point guard for a bench sitting 3.

lovely.

Now that I have that off of my chest, I like Burks and hope he joins Hayward and Favors in an all star game or five. I just wouldn't want to be Corbin when these guys complain about starting.

Oh, right, you're talking about that 3-pt play that Burks completed. . . . . .... .. . .... gotcha.

Hey, if you want to call me out then at least do it in person. I'll be in town July 20th for 1 hour and can meet up where ever.

p.s. LeBron James would have passed that up.

Hey, if you want to call me out then at least do it in person. I'll be in town July 20th for 1 hour and can meet up where ever.

a'ight. You flying into SLC international? Rent a car, then drive down to Provo where I spend all my time. You arrive, I smack you, and you have just enough time to make it back for your connection.

SLTrib Article:

-sigh- here we go again, with two players (Burks and Hayward) who both have a case to be the starting 2 sharing the minutes. The only answer is to move Hayward to the 3, which isn't a bad idea except that means we traded a starting former all star point guard for a bench sitting 3.

lovely.

Now that I have that off of my chest, I like Burks and hope he joins Hayward and Favors in an all star game or five. I just wouldn't want to be Corbin when these guys complain about starting.

KOC made the bed, now he can lie in it. He didn't have to draft a sg & pf last year when he already had a sg & pf as the two future cornerstones.

I'm slow as hell today. I just got your reference. I forget that you put everything into a spreadsheet. You should tell Trout to post the rest of that PM dialogue.

SLTrib Article:

lovely.

I don't really see a problem with this. I think one of those guys need to play a Harden/Lou Williams/Terry type role any way.

It's just a matter of choosing which of those guys to do that. I'd lean towards Hayward - he played really well with the 2nd unit last year. He can handle the ball & make plays for others. His rebounding should also help the 2nd unit.

I think Gordon should probably come off the bench next year. He did much better after his cold streak when he was moved to the 6th man role. He can still get pretty good minutes. He can play both the 2 and the 3. As of now we don't have any other proven players at those wing positions besides Hayward Burks and Williams. I like Carroll but, he isn't going to demand lots of minutes and will fill in when guys are injured.

We could do a 3 man rotation with maybe throwing in other guys of course on special occasions. But, since Hayward could play the 2 and 3 you could split the 48 min pretty easily.

If Burks can get consistent started minutes such as 28-32 MPG that would leave at the least 16 min for Hayward at the 2.

Same goes for Williams you give him 28-32 min and that also leaves 16 at the least for Hayward. Giving Hayward 32 min total at the most.

Of course if we don't feel comfortable giving those minutes you can swing mo to the 2 sometimes and of course we still have Carroll, and maybe we will sign someone else that can play wing or maybe Murphy makes the team. But, I think they can all still get good minutes all the way around for those 3.

BTW we should not sign Stockton's kid. He is to small to play the pick and roll effectively, and without good athleticism its hard for him to create shots for other players. He is really bothering me in summer camp because he doesn't help Kanter get going off the pick and roll. He doesn't have the ability to make those passes off longer and more athletic defenders. His shot is ugly and will get blocked a lot. I just think it's a pretty big waste of a roster spot. I would rather take Wayns from Villanova, he played really good first game and showed he could run an offense.

a'ight. You flying into SLC international? Rent a car, then drive down to Provo where I spend all my time. You arrive, I smack you, and you have just enough time to make it back for your connection.

Provo, eh? Well that solves my dilemna of whether to bring you a bottle of wine or a book full of coupon clippings.

Ask Trout because it was entertaining or to clear up that you weren't picking a fist fight? Cause that's not necessary.

Last edited:
Provo, eh? Well that solves my dilemna of whether to bring you a bottle of wine or a book full of coupon clippings.

Ask Trout because it was entertaining or to clear up that you weren't picking a fist fight? Cause that's not necessary.

Well, if it isn't necessary to clear up, then I'll leave the data in the ether of cyberspace.

I saw your comment and really appreciated.

SLTrib Article:

lovely.

Last season Hayward averaged 30 mins, Burks 16 mins and Williams 26 off the bench for Atlanta. Hayward was a starter, so you probably keep him in that role. You sit down with Burks and tell him he's going to get almost double the minutes he played last season and needs to be the primary playmaker/scorer off the bench. Tell him if he starts, he's competing with Millsap (or Favors), Jefferson, Hayward (or Williams) and even Mo for touches. Off the bench, he'll play 15 minutes alongside Watson, who doesn't shoot and Kanter who is there for putbacks.

Burks comes in around the 8 min mark of the 1st/3rd. Hayward rests or you slide him to the 3 and sit Williams, depending on how you want to match-up at SF.

BTW we should not sign Stockton's kid. He is to small to play the pick and roll effectively, and without good athleticism its hard for him to create shots for other players. He is really bothering me in summer camp because he doesn't help Kanter get going off the pick and roll. He doesn't have the ability to make those passes off longer and more athletic defenders. .

It takes two to dance. Kanter's screens and rolls to the basket are very poor.