What's new

Super Bowl discussion and poll

Chiefs or 49ers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
These are both right.

When playing against mahomes you need a nice cushion at the end of the game cause if its close and he gets the ball then you are screwed. Those first two possessions for 49ers they were moving the ball with ease. They needed to score and get that cushion.

That specials teams play off the dudes foot was ginormous for the chiefs.
Also not scoring on the two turnovers.

Kicking doesn’t seem to be the right call for a few main reasons:
1. Shanahan has said he wanted the ball third. If they scored, but KC matched, the next score would’ve won and that would’ve been their chance.
2. Their defense was exhausted. They needed the rest.
3. The analytics one way or the other is basically 50/50.

Fault him for playcalling but not that imo. Iirc the situation correctly on their initial OT drive, it was 3rd and 3 and they threw a pass. At the time, I recall thinking screw in, run it with CMC. He’s your best player. If you’re short you’re short, but…

1. Shanahan has said he wanted the ball third. If they scored, but KC matched, the next score would’ve won and that would’ve been their chance.

Fault him for playcalling but not that imo. Iirc the situation correctly on their initial OT drive, it was 3rd and 3 and they threw a pass. At the time, I recall thinking screw in, run it with CMC. He’s your best player. If you’re short you’re short, but…
Right or wrong, the issue was not scoring on any of their first two possessions and not capitalizing on any of the chiefs turnovers. I personally wanted them to kick in overtime. That extra down is so valuable to someone like Mahomes. Had the 49ers had the ball second they probably do run on that 3rd and 3 play knowing they needed a td.

Kicking first means you know what or if your opponent scored and gives you a strategic advantage. The advantage of knowing what you must do is a huge advantage. If the Chiefs scored a TD first, the Niners would know they had to go for it and have a chance.

Kicking first means you know what or if your opponent scored and gives you a strategic advantage. The advantage of knowing what you must do is a huge advantage. If the Chiefs scored a TD first, the Niners would know they had to go for it and have a chance.
This

It's why every team defers every time they win the coin toss in college football

Sent from my OPD2203 using Tapatalk

The Chiefs said if the 9ers had scored 7 on the first OT possession, they (the Chiefs) would have gone for 2 to win the game.

I guess it's possible Shanahan was planning on going for 2 himself if the 9ers scored a TD.