What's new

Supreme Court Justice Kennedy to Retire

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're smarter than this.
What has Kavanaugh done to bolster his own credibility? Lying during confirmation hearings about his role in Bush era judicial confirmations? Painting himself as some sort of angelic teenager contrary to contemporaneous records? Can you point to evidence of Dr Ford being less than truthful?

not that we're much better with changing Prime Ministers willy nilly but really .. someone has a vague memory that when they were at a drunken party some dude amongst a group they're not really sure who it was or wasn't groped them, the majority of people named vehemently deny it, it's brought to attention at the last second before one of the said dudes is to be confirmed as a supreme court justice, no police report / charges and an ensuing circus prevails ??

wow

All that happened after a different woman accused him of attempting to rape her. Just throwing this out there but I suspect an accusation of attempted rape against a public figure in Australia might get picked up by the news media down unda

All that happened after a different woman accused him of attempting to rape her. Just throwing this out there but I suspect an accusation of attempted rape against a public figure in Australia might get picked up by the news media down unda

if had been referred through proper channels sure ie a complaint / charge lodged with the police

Oh I fully agree, and have said as much in earlier posts.

Kavanaugh is not in a criminal trial, he is contesting a lifetime position to the Supreme Court, and he should be denied.

He can't clear the bar.

If it were a normal job, I’d agree with you, kind of.

This isn’t a normal job.

When people accused Obama of not being a legal citizen, the majority of the country said “no, you need to show us proof of that.” Obviously this is legally a different matter, but the principle is the same.

Ford probably won’t testify on Thursday. None of her witnesses, including her friend, can back up anything she’s saying. Even her friend who she said was there, said, “no, I wasn’t and I’ve never met Brett Kavanaugh.” I won’t even bother talk about the different font types used in one letter that only happened to occur with a persons name and dates.

We cannot let baseless accusations ruin people’s lives. There needs to be proof beyond accusation, and so far, there is none.

If it were a normal job, I’d agree with you, kind of.

This isn’t a normal job.

When people accused Obama of not being a legal citizen, the majority of the country said “no, you need to show us proof of that.” Obviously this is legally a different matter, but the principle is the same.

Ford probably won’t testify on Thursday. None of her witnesses, including her friend, can back up anything she’s saying. Even her friend who she said was there, said, “no, I wasn’t and I’ve never met Brett Kavanaugh.” I won’t even bother talk about the different font types used in one letter that only happened to occur with a persons name and dates.

We cannot let baseless accusations ruin people’s lives. There needs to be proof beyond accusation, and so far, there is none.
Hold on. This being a more important job shouldn't mean the burden of proof is higher...

And as for the Obama stuff, setting aside all the racist implications of birtherism, and the difference between what someone risks with a sexual assault accusation, the American people were afforded the opportunity to make their own judgment on that at the ballot box (and in the end Obama DID provide evidence it was all bs), maybe we should allow the american people another chance to weigh in during the midterms.

Also please for the love of God can we stop with the 'ruining his life' ****. His life is fine, his current position as a federal judge isn't even at risk at this point. For **** sake not getting a Supreme Court seat is very much not a life ruining event.

A reputation takes a lifetime to build and a single publicized allegation to destroy. That's not nothing.

A reputation takes a lifetime to build and a single publicized allegation to destroy. That's not nothing.
It only takes a single sexual assault to ruin a survivors life as well.
Let's just look at some numbers, what percentage of sexual abusers deny their abuse? Probably a number approaching 90% right? What percentage of accusations are false? According to research somewhere between 5-8%. That alone makes me much more likely to believe accusers than the accused. Thats not even getting into the fact that he stands to gain far more than she does. Not to mention the fact that we have no reason to doubt Dr Ford's credibility, and every reason to doubt Kavenaugh's.

At best he was a *** when young and is trying to keep it kept under the rug now. Accusations of being much much worse than an ***. Worth looking into.

Hold on. This being a more important job shouldn't mean the burden of proof is higher...

And as for the Obama stuff, setting aside all the racist implications of birtherism, and the difference between what someone risks with a sexual assault accusation, the American people were afforded the opportunity to make their own judgment on that at the ballot box (and in the end Obama DID provide evidence it was all bs), maybe we should allow the american people another chance to weigh in during the midterms.

Also please for the love of God can we stop with the 'ruining his life' ****. His life is fine, his current position as a federal judge isn't even at risk at this point. For **** sake not getting a Supreme Court seat is very much not a life ruining event.

I would say being accused of sexual assault, and having it be a nation event would be fairly life ruining if it wasn’t true.

That’s just me though. Maybe you wouldn’t mind being accused of it. I know I would mind.

Let's just look at some numbers, what percentage of sexual abusers deny their abuse? Probably a number approaching 90% right? What percentage of accusations are false? According to research somewhere between 5-8%. That alone makes me much more likely to believe accusers than the accused. Thats not even getting into the fact that he stands to gain far more than she does. Not to mention the fact that we have no reason to doubt Dr Ford's credibility, and every reason to doubt Kavenaugh's.

Well **** man.

Throw Rueben Foster in jail. Let’s get the Duke lacrosse team there too, while we’re at it. Since false accusations rarely happen, we should definitely believe all of them, even with no proof and none of the witnesses corroborating any of the evidence or story.

i don't know much about this whitebread Kavenaugh dude but on the basis of the timing of it and the way it's been manipulated there's certainly reason to be a little skeptical of the details of Dr Ford's accusation ??

i don't know much about this whitebread Kavenaugh dude but on the basis of the timing of it and the way it's been manipulated there's certainly reason to be a little skeptical of the details of Dr Ford's accusation ??

All people are asking for is an investigation to shed light on the truth. If the past is any indication (Anitta Hill) it could be as short as 3 days. Why is that too much?

It seems to me that if innocent of these charges, Kavanaugh, a man who investigated a similar incident involving a former president would welcome an investigation. Wouldn't it be hypocritical for him not to?

Last edited:
Show me where I denied that? The argument was that the allegation did no harm and that's ********. OF MOTHER****ING COURSE sexual assault is FAR worse dip ****, but to pretend that absolutely no harm is done by dragging someone's name through the mud is intellectually dishonest.

I really hope she testifies and that there is a full investigation. If the allegation is true he should be strung up. And as I have already stated she needs to have her story heard and taken seriously.

Afaiac there is enough doubt around the guy, and not just from this, that they really need to move on to another candidate.

Well **** man.

Throw Rueben Foster in jail. Let’s get the Duke lacrosse team there too, while we’re at it. Since false accusations rarely happen, we should definitely believe all of them, even with no proof and none of the witnesses corroborating any of the evidence or story.
Yeah, way to only engage in half of what I wrote. Again, we're not talking about throwing anyone in jail. We're talking about whether or not this particular guy should be sat for a lifetime appointment to our highest court. Let's say despite this he still gets sat, which at this point is still the most likely outcome, would you say at that point his life has been ruined?

As for who to believe, why are you so willing to believe him over Dr Ford? He has already shown that he is willing to lie in pursuit of this nomination, and like I said earlier, if this is true he has far more to gain from lying, than she stands to gain if it's false.

Show me where I denied that? The argument was that the allegation did no harm and that's ********. OF MOTHER****ING COURSE sexual assault is FAR worse *******, but to pretend that absolutely no harm is done by dragging someone's name through the mud is intellectually dishonest.

I really hope she testifies and that there is a full investigation. If the allegation is true he should be strung up. And as I have already stated she needs to have her story heard and taken seriously.

Afaiac there is enough doubt around the guy, and not just from this, that they really need to move on to another candidate.
Cool then, we agree. It's just a little off to me to see people (read: men) so ****ing concerned with false accusations when there's a far larger problem in our society of acusers not being believed than men's lives being ruined by false accusations. The vast majority of falsely accused men are exonerated, while the vast majority of actual sexual predators go free. And yet when it comes to discussions regarding Kavenaugh somehow this whole dynamic gets turned on its head.

Even more reason to investigate. If someone was unfairly trying to destroy my reputation through false allegations I’d be screaming from the rooftops for an investigation that would exonerate me.

So why isn’t Kavanaugh doing that? Why doesn’t he want an investigation?

I have yet to see any republican address this issue. Yet they keep bringing it up that these women are lying and destroying his life.

Yeah, way to only engage in half of what I wrote. Again, we're not talking about throwing anyone in jail. We're talking about whether or not this particular guy should be sat for a lifetime appointment to our highest court. Let's say despite this he still gets sat, which at this point is still the most likely outcome, would you say at that point his life has been ruined?

As for who to believe, why are you so willing to believe him over Dr Ford? He has already shown that he is willing to lie in pursuit of this nomination, and like I said earlier, if this is true he has far more to gain from lying, than she stands to gain if it's false.

I have not stated that she is lying, or that he is innocent, or guilty yet. I don’t know enough.

Unlike some others, I’m just waiting to find out more. Can I still talk about the inconsistencies in the story? Of course I can. That’s reasonable to do, and it should be done.

But yeah, whether he gets confirmed or not, for the rest of his life he’s going to be Brett Kavanaugh, accused of sexual assault. Now if he’s guilty, that’s obviously more than fair. If he’s not, I would consider that pretty heinous. Every time somebody sees you, that’s what they’re thinking. Personally, yeah, that would wreck my life.

There's a culture of abuse in this country where many survivors are victimized twice. Once by their abuser and a second time by those around them who belittle, dismiss and disbelieve them. This of course results in sexual abusers going free and more women being assaulted. And yet through all of this, anytime there's a high profile accusation of sexual misconduct we hear 'won't somebody please think of the men??'

Status
Not open for further replies.