What's new

Taylor Hendricks Hype Thread

I don't even know if its true... was just silly how in their feels folks got about the pick and how definitively they knew it was wrong without giving the kid a chance.

I agree I’ve always believed in Taylor just haven’t been as vocal about it as you but my hot take before the draft was that Hendricks was gonna be a better nba player than Jarace Walker and I’m gonna stick with it until I’m given reasons to believe it’s false

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is part of my developmental theorem: if someone doesn’t get developmental time and piddles out and leaves the league, “they knew all along, see, he didn’t amount to anything.” If someone does well later, “see, the developmental plan worked!” It’s the ultimate confirmation bias.

It's impossible to know....but given that Keyonte was just tossed into the fire and is struggling, I don't think Hardy has a thing against rookies or rookies struggling. I just don't think he had plans for Hendricks. He barely got a look in preseason so I don't think Hardy was even considering him. Whatever it was, I'm glad it's over and happy we got to this point. It's undeniable that Hendricks both needs and deserves minutes real NBA minutes.

I agree I’ve always believed in Taylor just haven’t been as vocal about it as you but my hot take before the draft was that Hendricks was gonna be a better nba player than Jarace Walker and I’m gonna stick with it until I’m given reasons to believe it’s false

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We are brothers there. I think its reasonable to like Walker or Bilal more than Taylor I just think it was premature whining to lament the pick with such disdain.

I took the same take early in the draft cycle with Taylor was more a teens type of prospect... and no need to deviate there.

It's impossible to know....but given that Keyonte was just tossed into the fire and is struggling, I don't think Hardy has a thing against rookies or rookies struggling. I just don't think he had plans for Hendricks. He barely got a look in preseason so I don't think Hardy was even considering him. Whatever it was, I'm glad it's over and happy we got to this point. It's undeniable that Hendricks both needs and deserves minutes real NBA minutes.
Its hard when guys are much more established and are in front of you on the depth chart. So Collins/KO were always going to present a problem. For Key it was THT, Dunn, Sexton and those guys are much easier to overtake. I know Simone got run before Taylor but he's started to show why. Simone is a Bonafide bench nba wing imo at this point. May not be in the rotation for like 30-40% of the league but is worth a spot.

I also think Key needs to let it rip a bit more especially with Clarkson and Lauri out. Its cool to defer to those guys to shoot and run actions but Ochai, Simone, John Collins aren't really going to get themselves or others a lot of open looks. I think some of his shooting woes are in his head and some are his shot is the secondary consideration. It is nice to see given the disposition of our other guards but he needs to be more aggressive with his shot hunting in this configuration.

Its hard when guys are much more established and are in front of you on the depth chart. So Collins/KO were always going to present a problem. For Key it was THT, Dunn, Sexton and those guys are much easier to overtake. I know Simone got run before Taylor but he's started to show why. Simone is a Bonafide bench nba wing imo at this point. May not be in the rotation for like 30-40% of the league but is worth a spot.

I also think Key needs to let it rip a bit more especially with Clarkson and Lauri out. Its cool to defer to those guys to shoot and run actions but Ochai, Simone, John Collins aren't really going to get themselves or others a lot of open looks. I think some of his shooting woes are in his head and some are his shot is the secondary consideration. It is nice to see given the disposition of our other guards but he needs to be more aggressive with his shot hunting in this configuration.

I think where I disagree is that there weren't more established guys in front of TH. I feel like TH could basically be put in any lineup (another reason why I though it would be easier for him to get time). It's not like there's a strict PF rotation where he must overtake Olynyk and Collins. For example, we started out with that 4 guard lineup that got smoked. We could have easily put TH in there. We actually needed exactly what TH provides more than another small guard who wants to dominate the ball. Furthermore, he was also behind Simone and Luka. Those are replacement level NBA guys imo. Simone is playing well, maybe elevated himself, but we were also talking about him getting preseason minutes for the sake of pity. So it's not like it's a crowded rotation or anything.

Maybe it was intelligent planning by Hardy/FO or maybe it was Hardy being a bad coach and not recognizing TH ability. It doesn't matter too much to me as long as TH is getting the opportunity.

I think where I disagree is that there weren't more established guys in front of TH. I feel like TH could basically be put in any lineup (another reason why I though it would be easier for him to get time). It's not like there's a strict PF rotation where he must overtake Olynyk and Collins. For example, we started out with that 4 guard lineup that got smoked. We could have easily put TH in there. We actually needed exactly what TH provides more than another small guard who wants to dominate the ball. Furthermore, he was also behind Simone and Luka. Those are replacement level NBA guys imo. Simone is playing well, maybe elevated himself, but we were also talking about him getting preseason minutes for the sake of pity. So it's not like it's a crowded rotation or anything.

Maybe it was intelligent planning by Hardy/FO or maybe it was Hardy being a bad coach and not recognizing TH ability. It doesn't matter too much to me as long as TH is getting the opportunity.
I'm sure those guys were outplaying TH in practice. I'm also sure it doesn't rock the boat in a meaningful way to give TH time over those two guys. Simone I think is a real NBA player. Luka is a fringe NBA player. Would not surprise me if this is his last NBA contract.

IF TH had a full offseason I genuinely think he may have gotten 10 minutes per game from day 1. We see how much more comfortable he is with just a handful of G League games.

It was fun while it lasted...No shot he plays Hendricks over THT, Sexton, Yurt, or Simone right?
2 of those guys will be out of the rotation or they all get the most nominal minutes ever but yeah it’s over.

This thread has been fun. Too many of you are too fickle. If the player doesn't look like Lebron on day 1 then he's a bust. Sheesh.

If they get 20 points as a rookie then they are the next Michael Jordan or Jason Kidd.

Far too much hyperbole here. I was a big believer in Hendricks through the draft. Outspoken about him. This is just fun.

The play where he grabs the alley oop attempt out of the air was my favorite. You knew exactly what was going to happen, even the Mavs knew what was going to happen, but couldn't do anything about it.

Tanking is a FO decision, I really hope they take it out of Hardy's hands and make some moves. But if I'm being honest, I don't even think playing TH is a tanking move. We freaking suck anyways. Free him.
The whole "you can't do xyz cuz you lose the locker room" stuff gets annoying. There is some truth to it buuuuuuutttt - is that more important than development time for key prospects. I give Ainge until January 4th to figure it out and clear up some of this nonsense. Sounds like Lauri will miss on Friday still... until Jan 4th the training staff needs to hold guys out liberally.

The play where he grabs the alley oop attempt out of the air was my favorite. You knew exactly what was going to happen, even the Mavs knew what was going to happen, but couldn't do anything about it.
He even hung back to get the timing perfect. Its basically exactly what I wanted from him on defense. Just go out there and mess stuff up... even if you end up out of place at times. Earlier in the season (pre-season) he was hanging back on that stuff and not getting in the play.

BTW this is the type of stuff I saw on his college film and in games and got me excited in the first place. Hopefully this is how he plays (if he still gets rotation minutes).