What's new

Taylor Hendricks Hype Thread

I think the Tay Henny express will be rolling with a strong summer of work. The rooks and Juzang all balled out last night. If the Jazz could open the game by not throwing up on themselves the outcomes would be much much closer.

I'm interested to see where his defense goes. IMO, there's 3 defensive roles he had the potential to fulfil: 1) perimeter stopper 2) off ball playmaker 3) Pseudo big man. I don't think he will be elite at any of these roles, but A-/B+ level at these important roles will be huge for us. Will probably have to see where his physical development goes.

I'm interested to see where his defense goes. IMO, there's 3 defensive roles he had the potential to fulfil: 1) perimeter stopper 2) off ball playmaker 3) Pseudo big man. I don't think he will be elite at any of these roles, but A-/B+ level at these important roles will be huge for us. Will probably have to see where his physical development goes.
Good post. He has shown some promise in all three roles... well kinda. He has stuck to guys in the stopper role better than I though. Off ball he has been about what I thought. He was more disruptive earlier in his stint as a starter than he has been lately. He hasn't played much as a pseudo big man but has held his own in the post at times when i thought he'd get bodied. Trying to remember the specific instance/matchup but has shown flashes of all the things you'd want to see on that end.

I think the Tay Henny express will be rolling with a strong summer of work. The rooks and Juzang all balled out last night. If the Jazz could open the game by not throwing up on themselves the outcomes would be much much closer.
I have great doubts about the actual value of these 'NBA' minutes for the Jazz lately.

If we you are trying to judge future potential on actual good teams. Putting up numbers on a god awful tanking team, with no semblance of what the future roster will look like is the very lowest stage of evolution.

E: This is not about Hendrix, but any young player. Hendrix actually feels the most like a guy who would thrive in a catch and shoot 3 and D roll and on an actual team. I hope we can see that sooner than later.

Also, I will be calling him Hendrix, henceforth.

I have great doubts about the actual value of these 'NBA' minutes for the Jazz lately.

If we you are trying to judge future potential on actual good teams. Putting up numbers on a god awful tanking team, with no semblance of what the future roster will look like is the very lowest stage of evolution.

E: This is not about Hendrix, but any young player. Hendrix actually feels the most like a guy who would thrive in a catch and shoot 3 and D roll and on an actual team. I hope we can see that sooner than later.

Also, I will be calling him Hendrix, henceforth.
I think the minutes matter. They matter less. It also depends on the role the guy is playing. Like when they were forcing Ochai on ball last season during garbage time I don't know that its particularly helpful.

It is fair to question anything that happens in March April for teams that aren't playing for anything.

Good post. He has shown some promise in all three roles... well kinda. He has stuck to guys in the stopper role better than I though. Off ball he has been about what I thought. He was more disruptive earlier in his stint as a starter than he has been lately. He hasn't played much as a pseudo big man but has held his own in the post at times when i thought he'd get bodied. Trying to remember the specific instance/matchup but has shown flashes of all the things you'd want to see on that end.

It's honestly hard to judge him too much on defense because our overall defense is so terrible. I think he's displaying all the physical attributes + good effort, however, so it will be hard for him to fail with that. I think it might be the case where he's more of a wing stopper early on....I actually think that takes less awareness/is a simpler role. Over time he may become for of a secondary big as he learns the game more and puts on more size. How much of a true big versus disruptor/playmaker will probably come down to how much size. Chasing guards around screens is something he will probably be ok at, but I don't think that will be his specialty which is to be expected from a 6'10 guy. I see him trending more towards guarding power wings, secondary big, center w/Lauri kind of stuff.

I think he will be the type of dude that you can put on the opponents best big wings. He will guard the LeBron, KD, Doncic, Ant type of players imo. I'm hoping anyway.

Sent from my OPD2203 using Tapatalk

I don't know if he moves well enough to be an elite perimeter defender but I do think he can become a Cliff Robinson type of player that is solid guarding almost any position. Offensively I think he projects pretty closely to what we saw from a prime Cliff Robinson. Robinson was ahead of his time when it comes to being a high volume 3pt shooting big.

As the Nuggs I'd like to see the three rooks, Bazely and Lofton start to see if they can start the game a little better than in games past. What's the worst that could happen?

I don't know if he moves well enough to be an elite perimeter defender but I do think he can become a Cliff Robinson type of player that is solid guarding almost any position. Offensively I think he projects pretty closely to what we saw from a prime Cliff Robinson. Robinson was ahead of his time when it comes to being a high volume 3pt shooting big.
I loved cliff Robinson as a kid. That blazers team was one of my favorite all time rosters.

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

I loved cliff Robinson as a kid. That blazers team was one of my favorite all time rosters.

I hated him because I hated the blazers but he I loved his game. He would have been even better in this era which is perfect for his game. Those blazers teams from 89-90 to 91-92 have to be some of the best teams to never win a title.

Last edited:
What I don't understand about the Jazz front office is why did they wait a year to blow it up? The year to do it was last year for a chance at a player barring injury will be an all time great. I am glad that they finally decided to yet the young guys play and even though they are losers of 11 or 12 straight it was time to evaluate our young guys and to develop them.

What I don't understand about the Jazz front office is why did they wait a year to blow it up? The year to do it was last year for a chance at a player barring injury will be an all time great. I am glad that they finally decided to yet the young guys play and even though they are losers of 11 or 12 straight it was time to evaluate our young guys and to develop them.
The entire process these last 2 years has been strange with plenty of mixed signals.

I still believe that the jazz front office thought that we would suck after trading gobert, Mitchell, Royce, bogey etc.

I still think that they thought Sexton was the best win now piece we were getting in the two trades and that he wouldn't be particularly good. I think they thought we would be pretty bad right out the gate and then be able to really increase the tank later in the season (like we are doing now) and end up a bottom 3 or 4 team.
But Lauri exploded (most improved player of the year award winner) Kessler (a late first rounder) played great, Conley had more in the tank than expected, Beasley was shooting it like Steph Curry, we had basically zero injuries etc.

I think the plan was to suck and be in the running for wemby. Then we are 10-3 and the best team in the NBA. Hard to intentionally ruin a team when you are the best team in the league.
Then we come back down to earth and the front office decided that a possible first round exit didn't have the best value so they traded dudes and picked up assets and improved their own pick.

They tried. They were getting low ball offers for Conley and they performed way better than everyone expected.

If it was to blow it up earlier it should've been the offseason after that Clippers series loss where they decided It was a good idea to run It back the very same team, not to look into any trades either way (either use assets to bring more talent in or blowing It up right there).

That season was a way worse waste of time than the past two (tho the Collins trade really helds our rebuild back)

I had forgotten that Uncle Cliffy passed away. Kevin Duckworth and Jerome Kersey from those Blazer teams also died young.

I had forgotten that Uncle Cliffy passed away. Kevin Duckworth and Jerome Kersey from those Blazer teams also died young.
Whoa
Kersey was my favorite player from that team.