What's new

Team 100+ point watch & Defensive stats thread

Engorged On Unborn Gore

The Jazz had the best defensive average per game last year at 97.45, and allowed 100+ points scored by an opponent 40 times out of 82 games.

When accounting for pace of game, https://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2017_ratings.html listed the Jazz in 3rd place after San Antonio and Golden State.

Just setting this thread up to monitor our improvements defensively in the upcoming season. We added a lot of long arms and defensive-minded players, so I'm interested in seeing how it pans out. I'm most interested in how many times other teams score 100+ points against this new Jazz team, but anything related to defense is welcome on this thread.

*Mods: In my excitement, I forgot to finish the title of the thread properly. It is supposed to read:

Team 100+ point watch & Defensive stats thread

Get followed around by a lot of diseased camels do ya?

Thread already exists.

Jazz are going to struggle so badly on offense that you should start a "Team Record in Shot Clock Violations" thread.

Seriously, if Favors returns to form at all this defense is going to be monstrous.

Favors returning to form and Mitchell breaking out as a stand-out rookie are really the only 2 X-factors we have, but they could be huge X-factors if they pan out. A beastly Favors and a strong wing/back court 2-way guy would complement Rudy well and push us over the top.

Favors returning to form and Mitchell breaking out as a stand-out rookie are really the only 2 X-factors we have, but they could be huge X-factors if they pan out. A beastly Favors and a strong wing/back court 2-way guy would complement Rudy well and push us over the top.

By over the top do you mean back where we were last year, possibly winning a tight 1st round playoff series?

By over the top do you mean back where we were last year, possibly winning a tight 1st round playoff series?

All depends on how beastly Favors can be and how Mitchell comes along. Could be lots of places along the spectrum. But I would be happy if we turned this haphazard off-season into another 2nd round exit for sure.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...records-for-every-nba-team-against-vegas-odds

Vegas Over/Under: 40.5

Fromal's Record Projection: 44-38

The Bet: Hammer the over

The Utah Jazz went 51-31 last season. So how in the world are they expected to win just seven fewer games after losing their best player?

Well, the answer is simple: They didn't actually lose their best player.

Gordon Hayward's departure to the Boston Celtics stings, and the Jazz will have a tough time replacing his versatile production. Even a dynamite rookie season from Donovan Mitchell can't possibly fill the void, and the small-forward depth chart looks a bit more uninspiring with Joe Ingles and Joe Johnson leading the charge.

But Rudy Gobert is still patrolling Salt Lake City, ready to prove to the world he's indisputably one of the NBA's 20 best players.

Whereas Hayward finished Nos. 29 and 24, respectively, in ESPN.com's RPM and NBA Math's TPA, Gobert sat at Nos. 8 and 12 last season. He's arguably the league's best defensive player, and his incredible finishing ability around the rim makes him immensely valuable on the offensive end.

There's also the fact that the Jazz's net rating dipped by 5.7 points per 100 possessions without Hayward, but it fell by 11.3 without Gobert. When the "Stifle Tower" suited up sans his now-departed teammate, Utah still posted a 5.5 net rating, per nbawowy. In the reverse situation, the net rating stood at minus-6.9.

Utah will be worse this season. That much is clear.

But they're not dropping below .500. Frankly, they shouldn't even be particularly close to that mark.

All depends on how beastly Favors can be and how Mitchell comes along. Could be lots of places along the spectrum. But I would be happy if we turned this haphazard off-season into another 2nd round exit for sure.

DL clearly built a team ta sit Favors many games an cut his minutes down when he brought in Jerebko an Thabo. Add Ingles an JJ ta that group an ya git 5 power forwards.

Prediction: We will record the fewest games to score over 100 points this season of any team ever, if we ever even do break the 100 point barrier.
Secondary prediction: We will still be in the top 3 teams for point differential.
Tertiary prediction: We will hold our opponents to the lowest point totals in the history of the NBA, at least in the top 3 teams to do so for a season.

There you have it.