What's new

Team 100+ point watch & Defensive stats thread

The injury to Dante Exum clearly harms the Jazz' ability to hold teams to a historically low PPG average this season. We still have the foundation for a tremendous defense that could be the best in the league, but consistent minutes for Exum would have bolstered our ability to chase perimeter players off of the 3 line.

I love Burks' game on offense, and he looks to have matured a bit in his approach to the game. But an increase in minutes for AB could mean more open 3s for opponents. Here's hoping that he has a career year on defense.

The team still has great defenders at every position. Sefolosha, Udoh, and Favors all look ready to bolster Gobert's offense-wrecking gravity. If Mitchell is somehow able to become more proficient as a distributor at the 1, perhaps he can mitigate some of what Exum looked poised to bring to us this year. But the loss of Dante is still huge. His length and speed on the perimeter would have been so killer for us this year.

Loss of Exum is big, I agree. But more minutes for AB means better offense. Jazz apparently were willing to sacrifice some defense when they were allegedly pursuing Kyrie.

Once Rubio sits, it's clear Quin will go back to the strategy of running offense through the wings. Ingles and Burks have both had good assist numbers. So Mitchell can just concentrate on what he does best and not have to worry about play making. Exum will be missed, yes. But he didn't really play last year.

Loss of Exum is big, I agree. But more minutes for AB means better offense.

Definitely true. If Burks can stay healthy, he is going to get us points that we need that Dante probably wouldn't have produced. Snyder may even play Burks and Hood together for stretches so that opposing defenses can't zero in on either of them effectively.

Once Rubio sits, it's clear Quin will go back to the strategy of running offense through the wings. Ingles and Burks have both had good assist numbers. So Mitchell can just concentrate on what he does best and not have to worry about play making.

Good call, but I'm still hopeful that DM can develop into solid playmaker. I'm anxious to see how his game progresses.

Exum will be missed, yes. But he didn't really play last year.

True, but he looked like he was on the brink of having a career year. It is a serious loss to our D. His chemistry with Gobert offensively is another wrinkle I was really looking forward to.

Jazz 1, NBA 0

Last year: Jazz 42, NBA 40
---

Despite all of their shooting prowess in the first half of the game, Denver failed to get to the 100 mark as the Jazz finally unveiled their suffocating defensive prowess in the 2nd half of the game.

Starters: 5 STL, 2 BLK
Bench: 4 STL, 3 BLK

OPP TO: 21

Last edited:
Jazz 1, NBA 0

---

Despite all of their shooting prowess in the first half of the game, Denver failed to get to the 100 mark as the Jazz finally unveiled their suffocating defensive prowess in the 2nd half of the game.

I think the big improvement to our defense is going to be forcing turnovers this year. We were not great at it last year. Plus if we have Favors healthy all year that will be a big improvement to the defense over who we had last year, Diaw.

I think the big improvement to our defense is going to be forcing turnovers this year. We were not great at it last year. Plus if we have Favors healthy all year that will be a big improvement to the defense over who we had last year, Diaw.

Improvement to our defence and offence. We're still learning to push it in transition, but you can see they're trying.

Awesome thread! Good foresight!

Jazz off to a good start. But I fear there will be painful scoring droughts, worse than we saw last year. My hope lies in this team embracing their defensive identity and crushing souls.

The defensive machine this team can potentially become, and which the 4th quarter tonight doesn't accurately indicate, might be legendary. But it isn't here right now (again, despite the 4th quarter tonight) it is going to take time to really nail down. We're gonna see some ugly **** the first 1/4 of this season. Some bright spots, like tonight, but some ugly, ugly ****. But if the team keeps their head up and find their defensive identity we're gonna crush some souls.

Jazz 1, NBA 0

---

Jazz were 42-40 last year?
I could have sworn that they won over 50 games.

Jazz were 42-40 last year?
I could have sworn that they won over 50 games.

I think he means we had 42 games where we scored 100 or more, versus 40 games where the opposing team scored 100 or more.

I think he means we had 42 games where we scored 100 or more, versus 40 games where the opposing team scored 100 or more.
Oh ok. Thanks for the clarification.

My bad

Jazz 1, NBA 1

---

The Jazz had a few good defensive stretches. Crawford killed us yet again in the 4th quarter (and will proceed to play like *** for the next ten games). But despite the loss, the Jazz were in the game all the way to the end because of their defense.

Starters: 7 STL, 3 BLK
Bench: 3 STL, 5 BLK

OPP TO: 15

Jazz 2, NBA 1

---
Final score: 96 - 87 Jazz

Anthony scored 26, but George & Westbrook shot a combined 10-30 for 28 points. The Thunder shot 41% and 33% for the game. The Jazz defense held them to 34 points at the half.

Starters: 6 STL, 1 BLK
Bench: 5 STL, 3 BLK
OPP TO: 17

DEF RTG: 99.5
(16/17): 105.3

OPP PPG: 94.3
(16/17): 96.8

OPP TOPG: 17.7
(16/17): 13.6

Last edited:
Someone needs to Gilooly Crawford or something. Or we need to get him on our team. I hate that guy.

3 games in and the Jazz have yet to give up over 100. Against 3 predicted western playoff teams no less.

Jazz 2, NBA 2

---
Final score: 102 - 84 Clippers

The Clippers blew the game open in the 3rd quarter outscoring the Jazz 33-15. The Jazz still held them 11 points below their season average of 113 points. The Clippers, in turn, played a good defensive game against the Jazz and currently lead the league in that department.

Starters: 3 STL, 3 BLK
Bench: 4 STL, 4 BLK
OPP TO: 13

DEF RTG: 102.2
(16/17): 105.3

OPP PPG: 96.2
(16/17): 96.8

OPP TOPG: 16.5
(16/17): 13.6