Tell us who got banned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Colton said:
Jesus Christ banned for trolling.

*ducks lightning bolt*

reminds me of this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLrTPrp-fW8

speaking of which, I haven't seen Mother Nature posting aournd here much lately either.

Well that was good for a laugh. If half of those rules were enforced, this would be a much better place for all of us. Serious question: When you say no belittling or harassment of individual posters, to speak carefully when discussing hot topics, no vulgarity, etc. etc. Do you mean it? I guess a good measure of this would be, as moderators and administrators, when you read threads and come across numerous examples of people calling each other idiots, morons, see borderline-offensive signatures like "a blast of "hydration" to your face" or borderline-offensive avatars like whoever has that raspberry goatse avatar, (and I know you guys see this stuff independently of other people reporting it, because a bunch of you are active posters), do you take any independent action, like warning the person, or do you only (or mainly) consider taking action when another poster submits a complaint?

My main recourse if I see a thread getting out of hand is simply to lock that thread. I don't like getting in the business of issuing, in the NBA parlance, a lot of double technicals. And let's face it that's what we'd have to do most of the time in untangling these knots. The rules and enforcement schemes, as presently constituted, are designed basically to only ban the very worst and repeat offenders. Most regulars, and I think you would qualify at this point, have a pretty good idea where the line is.

And have you seen the bitching and moaning that happens around here when almost anyone gets a warning for anything? I'm pretty sure GlassEater accused the moderators of disagreeing with him on a particular subject (I still have no idea what the subject was supposed to be) and giving him a warning for it like last week.

FWIW: I personally didn't agree with banning Jesus Christ because I thought doing so was caving in to a small vocal minority (and there were a fair number of complaints). I got outvoted, that's the way things work sometimes and the key to any successful semi-democracy is accepting that sometimes you lose. However, the poster in question was sent a PM several days ago with an offer to keep his account and have his username transitioned into something less controversial. He chose not to respond to that offer. He still hasn't been IP banned (obviously) and I'm sure will be welcomed back when he wants to create a more conventional account.

vinylone said:
I'm not sure why you are trying to implicate people here on the board. If there is one thing I completely dislike is a rat. Whether there is something to rat about or not.

In regards to your reference, my signature is a direct quote of one of the tag lines on one of the circulated advertisements here on the board. If anyone should receive an infraction, it should be you, for your self-admitted circumventing of the rules.

I wouldn't fight an infraction. I might not think it was particularly fair, but I wouldn't fight it.

Obviously, if your signature is a direct quote of one of the advertisements on the board, then that changes things. (I have ads blocked.) Is "hydration" in quotation marks in this ad, just to be extra sure that we understand it's referencing a cumshot? Just curious.

I chose to raise this question in public specifically because I am hoping that I am actually part of a silent majority. You see, I'm quite certain that people generally like being rats less than you like being ratted on. I would be very uncomfortable reporting fellow Jazzfanz members under most circumstances. (I have done it once.) And it makes me think that possibly many people feel the same way I do, and find themselves in the position of being offended* at times, but not actually wanting to have to be the guy who reports everything that bothers them. In this case -- are we all just hoping the moderators will handle it for us? Are the moderators waiting for people to complain before setting things straight? Now you understand my thinking.

*To be clear, I'm not offended by anything anybody here actually says or does. I'm embarrassed, as a person of thoughtfulness and taste, that the level of discourse amongst Utah Jazz fans is as awful, stupid, uncivil, and as tasteless as it is here. I cringe every time I see somebody call someone else an idiot, or a moron, or a dick, or see somebody who's idea of cracking-wise is to post only in 4chan memes. I'm offended that the best Utah Jazz board there is, is the worst basketball board I've ever been a member of.

Before anybody says it, I know I can leave if I don't like it.
Before anybody says it -- yeah. I do think I'm better than you.

I am giving myself a thumbs up for this post.

...when you read threads and come across numerous examples of people [doing lots of bad stuff] do you take any independent action, like warning the person, or do you only (or mainly) consider taking action when another poster submits a complaint?

Yes, moderators can and do report things themselves. The more people report a problematic post/poster, though, the more seriously it tends to be taken.

I'm embarrassed, as a person of thoughtfulness and taste, that the level of discourse amongst Utah Jazz fans is as awful, stupid, uncivil, and as tasteless as it is here. I cringe every time I see somebody call someone else an idiot, or a moron, or a dick, or see somebody who's idea of cracking-wise is to post only in 4chan memes. I'm offended that the best Utah Jazz board there is, is the worst basketball board I've ever been a member of.

Get over it, it's the internet. Bro. Sorry, the stuff that goes on in this forum is incredibly mild. Granted, it's all relative considering the board is mainly populated by people from the great state of Utah. But, seriously, if you think this stuff is bad, I'm not sure what to tell you.

Get over it, it's the internet. Bro. Sorry, the stuff that goes on in this forum is incredibly mild. Granted, it's all relative considering the board is mainly populated by people from the great state of Utah. But, seriously, if you think this stuff is bad, I'm not sure what to tell you.

Rich! You guys remember when Vinyl had a beef with the mods and made some thread to bitch about it in? Very fitting for Vinylone dingaling to say, "get over it, it's the internet." What a clown.

You're precious Archie.

No. This is Precious.

My dearest Precious.

silence_lambs_06.jpg

First real update to this thread: Hopper is on a one week suspension after receiving his third infraction. This one was for the same type of repetitive posting that has been discussed ad nauseum.

Raspberry Delight is on a one week suspension after receiving his third infraction. His most recent infraction was a rare inappropriate content, insulting other members, and trolling triple-whammy.

Status
Not open for further replies.