What's new

Thabo Sefolosha DEFENSIVE ELITE FIRST.

Hood #20, ahead of Haywazzle.

The impression I get from JFC is that most here would disagree with this assessment of Hood.

I was trying to argue last year that Hood is our best defensive wing based on numerous statistic rankings. But I got slammed here by Hayward homers that Hayward is much better even if all advanced defensive stats said otherwise. Apparently jazzfanz eye test was more superior to rank Hayward as better defender than Hood. I am not even talking about Burks who is one of the worst defensive wings in all NBA. Lets hope he improves somewhat this year.

I was trying to argue last year that Hood is our best defensive wing based on numerous statistic rankings. But I got slammed here by Hayward homers that Hayward is much better even if all advanced defensive stats said otherwise. Apparently jazzfanz eye test was more superior to rank Hayward as better defender than Hood. I am not even talking about Burks who is one of the worst defensive wings in all NBA. Lets hope he improves somewhat this year.

Someone give this man a gold star.

In all seriousness, though, it is cool to consider how many top-level defenders we have on this team. The same authors of this article ranked Ricky Rubio as the 4th best defensive PG in the league (http://hoop.nba.com/nba_hoop_featured/defensive-pointers/); we know about Rudy and Favs; Dante has all the tools to be top-tier, if he can finally get his head straight; and I think we're all just slightly optimistic that the rook is going to be a nightmare for opposing wing players. There's a lot to be excited about, whether we're judging things statistically or just giving it the ol' eye test.

In all seriousness, though, it is cool to consider how many top-level defenders we have on this team. The same authors of this article ranked Ricky Rubio as the 4th best defensive PG in the league (http://hoop.nba.com/nba_hoop_featured/defensive-pointers/); we know about Rudy and Favs; Dante has all the tools to be top-tier, if he can finally get his head straight; and I think we're all just slightly optimistic that the rook is going to be a nightmare for opposing wing players. There's a lot to be excited about, whether we're judging things statistically or just giving it the ol' eye test.

Steals, blocks, and deflections are coming. Teams can rely on star talent to beat us to a point, but how many teams are going to be able to play flawless offense for significant stretches against us?

I like the way Hood rebounds. The Jazz's starting line-up should have a rebounding advantage most nights with Gobert, Favors, Hood and our other lengthy guys.

Didn't realize Hood was rated so well. Hopefully he improves with added strength, better health and more experience.

Didn't see Ingles ranked. Wonder where he would be on the list

Defense is almost always an effort proposition. I think most of our guys have the tools, now if they put forth the effort too we could see a historically good defensive team this year. If they don't....well I hope those new draft lottery rules play to our advantage.

Someone give this man a gold star.

Is this myth ever going to die? Let's give him a big contract and then treat him like we did Enes Kanter.

When the Jazz get 6 steals you can get 6 chicken nuggets at McDonald's for free. They've done this promo for a few years, so I assume it will continue this season.

Sent from my SM-T377P using JazzFanz mobile app

Excellent. Now I can convince the old geezer I walk with and the other guy who acts 20 years older than his actual age to go somewhere other than Wendy's. I don't know how that chain stays in business.

Underrated thread. Our defense was the reason why we made the playoffs last year. Offensively, we were pretty bad. That said, I think we've improved in both areas. Sefolosha is an amazing wing defender. Rudy is an amazing shot blocker. Rubio is a top 5 pg defender and Hood has gotten better defensively every year, so much so that according to the numbers and this article of course, he's considered a stopper. We have a chance to be really special defensively. Hopefully it translates to wins. My bet is that it will.