What's new

The 2018 UN Climate Report

No, that’s about 100 years from now. Keep proudly spouting out ignorance though.
So everyone has 100 years to move? **** I may have to move in a month.

Big high pressure ridge over the northeastern Pacific is keeping CA dry for now, but the remnants of two supertyphoons dropped down across Utah from Alberta. So the 395 is still dry and open, probably will be for a month. Time to get back home to Reno.

El Nino is coming though, and the Sierra will be packed good this year, so I'll be going through SoCal.

Depends on where you live...it may not be 100. Could end up being 125 or 150 or 200, but either way, in the scheme of things, that’s very soon for us as a country. I fully expect us to sit on our knees and do nothing until the 11th hour. It’s sad but true.

I’m sure I’ll be dead by the time we start to take legitimate measures to save many cities of our country including New York City. But I wish I could see how we as a country respond to the problem. Ironically, the Dutch’s response may be the way to go. Ironic because of the Moran who started this thread. But I digress. Create interlocking, man-made waterways, canals, dams and such. That may be the way to go. I’m not even sure what other choices would be. Abandon these major cities and start a new elsewhere?

It’s really a fascinating problem.

Thank you. I've been called a moron before, but never a Moran.

My bad. I thought Dutch was the one who started this. He just chimes in, I forgot.

And Moran is a running joke around here.

Depends on where you live...it may not be 100. Could end up being 125 or 150 or 200, but either way, in the scheme of things, that’s very soon for us as a country. I fully expect us to sit on our knees and do nothing until the 11th hour. It’s sad but true.

I’m sure I’ll be dead by the time we start to take legitimate measures to save many cities of our country including New York City. But I wish I could see to how we as a country respond to the problem. Ironically, the Dutch’s response may be the way to go. Ironic because of the Moran who started this thread. But I digress. Create interlocking, man-made waterways, canals, dams and such. That may be the way to go. I’m not even sure what other choices would be. Abandon these major cities and start a new elsewhere?

It’s really a fascinating problem.
They should have abandoned New Orleans long ago, ridiculous to keep rebuilding just before everything gets wiped out again.

In 100 years or so you may have oceanfront property there where you live.

Humans adapt though. We don't live in Pompeii anymore. Atlantis went...somewhere? Babylon isn't a big deal anymore either. Tikal, Ctesiphon, Neapolis, Lajia, all are no longer. I imagine eventually we will move. It might be later than we should, and end up costing a lot more, but there sure is a lot of land in the middle of the country that isn't populated right now, and with the weather changes some areas will get drier and others will get wetter. This will not happen overnight, so there won't be some mass exodus in front of a flood or something. New York, for example, will be swallowed up bit by bit.

In my hometown there is a section of the city that is on the edge of a bluff of sorts some 60 feet tall. The bluff is eroding and 2 houses now have been claimed. Several others have been condemned as they are likely to fall as well. Others are on the horizon as the city tries to figure out if they can do anything about it, or if they should, or what it will cost. Some of the people have moved already, leaving their homes empty. Some stay until they are more or less forced out. Yeah, hugely smaller scale, but the pace seems to be similar to what is projected, probably even faster. We haven't survived this long by being inflexible.

And frankly, and not to be too morbid, but the single biggest issue we face as a species is overpopulation. Water is already becoming a very scarce resource due to our ever-increasing demand for it, for example. There will come a time when water is traded like other commodities, and not due to global warming, but due to overpopulation primarily. Maybe this is the way our species survives.

They should have abandoned New Orleans long ago, ridiculous to keep rebuilding just before everything gets wiped out again.

In 100 years or so you may have oceanfront property there where you live.

Humans adapt though. We don't live in Pompeii anymore. Atlantis went...somewhere? Babylon isn't a big deal anymore either. Tikal, Ctesiphon, Neapolis, Lajia, all are no longer. I imagine eventually we will move. It might be later than we should, and end up costing a lot more, but there sure is a lot of land in the middle of the country that isn't populated right now, and with the weather changes some areas will get drier and others will get wetter. This will not happen overnight, so there won't be some mass exodus in front of a flood or something. New York, for example, will be swallowed up bit by bit.

In my hometown there is a section of the city that is on the edge of a bluff of sorts some 60 feet tall. The bluff is eroding and 2 houses now have been claimed. Several others have been condemned as they are likely to fall as well. Others are on the horizon as the city tries to figure out if they can do anything about it, or if they should, or what it will cost. Some of the people have moved already, leaving their homes empty. Some stay until they are more or less forced out. Yeah, hugely smaller scale, but the pace seems to be similar to what is projected, probably even faster. We haven't survived this long by being inflexible.

And frankly, and not to be too morbid, but the single biggest issue we face as a species is overpopulation. Water is already becoming a very scarce resource due to our ever-increasing demand for it, for example. There will come a time when water is traded like other commodities, and not due to global warming, but due to overpopulation primarily. Maybe this is the way our species survives.

We need Thanos

No doubt. It won’t simply sneak up on us in weeks or months, or even a couple years. But the amount of infrastructure work that will need to take place to help keep things going could take 20-30 years (think about how long it takes to just repave a road)...maybe longer. Moving is the best option but we’re not talking about a million or so people moving either.

I guess we’ll see how Key West (RIP), Miami and other Floridan cities respond over the next few decades to find out.

Water scarcity is a problem exacerbated by our meat heavy diet. That's one of the biggest hurdles as I see it, getting people to change their diets without some sort of government mandate or meat tax.

I think we could sustain current the population level if we make drastic steps to curb our consumption.

Water scarcity is a problem exacerbated by our meat heavy diet. That's one of the biggest hurdles as I see it, getting people to change their diets without some sort of government mandate or meat tax.

I think we could sustain current the population level if we make drastic steps to curb our consumption.

Start ****ing with my bacon, steaks and pork chops and I will come for you.

Let the world burn or no steaks?

I’ll take my steak medium rare with a bottle of SPF 5000 on the side.

upload_2018-10-9_19-9-57.jpeg

I had the pleasure recently of reading the DoT's analysis of Trump's CAFE rollbacks. Three ten thousandths of one degree temperature rise in 100 years over the baseline rise of 3.48 degrees, using IPCC's model. 0.003 on top of 3.48 and the media went haywire.

We are doomed, just not from climax change.

Overpopulation isn't much of problem at this point. Africa and the Middle East are the only regions left experiencing any sort of meaningful population growth. I'd estimate we peak at between 9-10 billion before falling back down.

Overpopulation isn't much of problem at this point. Africa and the Middle East are the only regions left experiencing any sort of meaningful population growth. I'd estimate we peak at between 9-10 billion before falling back down.

What worries me is how said “falling back down” happens.

Reading this thread I see a bunch of concerns including: 1) global warming, 2) over-population, 3) water shortages, 4) negative population growth. First off, everyone relax because we are just living in a matrix and none of this is real. Second, all of these items will naturally work themselves out with technology and shifting costs/incentives (e.g., if there is water shortage then raising meat will be more expensive, so the cost will be higher, and less of it will be consumed).

What you should really be worried about is the national debt, since that will be what limits how much money is available to overcome any social challenge. Remember, any problem can be fixed with enough money, and even tiny setbacks are devastating without it. Every dollar spent now on our relatively small problems takes away from what is available to address future serious problems.

They might be resolved as you say. But we have no guarantees