What's new

The 2018 UN Climate Report

So why publish a major climate assessment on Black Friday? To minimize its news value, most likely.

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2018/11/national-climate-assessment-black-friday/576589/

On Friday, the busiest shopping day of the year, the federal government published a massive and dire new report on climate change. The report warns, repeatedly and directly, that climate change could soon imperil the American way of life, transforming every region of the country, imposing frustrating costs on the economy, and harming the health of virtually every citizen.

Most significantly, the National Climate Assessment—which is endorsed by nasa, noaa, the Department of Defense, and 10 other federal scientific agencies—contradicts nearly every position taken on the issue by President Donald Trump. Where the president has insisted that fighting global warming will harm the economy, the report responds: Climate change, if left unchecked, could eventually cost the economy hundreds of billions of dollars per year, and kill thousands of Americans to boot. Where the president has said that the climate will “probably” “change back,” the report replies: Many consequences of climate change will last for millennia, and some (such as the extinction of plant and animal species) will be permanent.

The report is a huge achievement for American science. It represents cumulative decades of work from more than 300 authors. Since 2015, scientists from across the U.S. government, state universities, and businesses have read thousands of studies, summarizing and collating them into this document. By law, a National Climate Assessment like this must be published every four years.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/its-happening-its-now-says-u-s-government-report-on-climate-change

Are any of the control otherrs happy people ever going to explain to the not control others crowd how these predictions are certain and in dire need of adressing by controlling them? Nobody is explaining it to them with proof, only fear mongering and putting forth their need to possess the life choices of others.

The climate change/global warming is such a huge issue and deserves way more attention than it is getting.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

Are any of the control otherrs happy people ever going to explain to the not control others crowd how these predictions are certain and in dire need of adressing by controlling them? Nobody is explaining it to them with proof, only fear mongering and putting forth their need to possess the life choices of others.
It's a legitimate question and one I don't think the "environmentalist" crowd even understands. They're all just like "why do you hate the planet?"

I'm all for preventing climate catastrophes. But just like with "reasonable gun regulation" I'm not seeing solutions in the things climate advocates are suggesting we/I do.

For instance, do you feel good about "recycling" plastic? When they don't just add you plastic to the landfill anyway they have been transporting it across the country to be shipped to China where it is either just trashed or when it is recycled it creates its own environmental damage. It's fake environmentalism.

I think we need to find solutions for the climate change that is going to happen, electric vehicles or not.

It's a legitimate question and one I don't think the "environmentalist" crowd even understands. They're all just like "why do you hate the planet?"

I'm all for preventing climate catastrophes. But just like with "reasonable gun regulation" I'm not seeing solutions in the things climate advocates are suggesting we/I do.

For instance, do you feel good about "recycling" plastic? When they don't just add you plastic to the landfill anyway they have been transporting it across the country to be shipped to China where it is either just trashed or when it is recycled it creates its own environmental damage. It's fake environmentalism.

I think we need to find solutions for the climate change that is going to happen, electric vehicles or not.

There are so many examples like that of token b.s. things we do in the name of saving the planet that are more wasteful than reducing. For example, a company that buys a needed emergency backup generator but doesn't install it in the window given must then buy a newer one that is less polluting. The lower pollution it will produce is such a minute fraction in the grand scheme of things but still we require them to purchase another that most likely created 100's or 1000's the amount of pollution during the mining, smelting, transportation, etc. than it will ever produce. Then we tell them they have to throw the 100 gallons or so of perfectly good lubricant oil away every year. Perfectly good oil, in a backup generator that is almost never used. This is done in the name of environmentalism. But what does it accomplish? The opposite.

From my POV and experience is that people want solutions but they don't seem to care much for discussing actual solutions until the burden to them becomes enough to be worth paying the cost and disrupting their life. So we get this social fight with one side against the other, and unfortunately both sides see those on the other side of the isle as controlling. So we get this demagoguing instead of well thought out solutions.

The climate change/global warming is such a huge issue and deserves way more attention than it is getting.

whjat climatye change

the avg temperature changed 0.3%. that is extremly stable. and this whole climate hysteria is stupid

their is real polution going on. focus on that not on this hogwash science

Yeah, I don't have an answer. I should be dead before it really affects me personally. I like heat, so the hot Summer we just had was fine by me. I hope for a few more. Obviously, I can only say that up to a point, though. We don't get dry heat here, when it's hot, it's usually also humid. And we are long overdue for a strong hurricane, so my part of the world could be slammed in my lifetime, Sandy was a close call for us. Never know when it might be our turn.

No answers here, I just feel sorry for the generations to come, judging from this latest assessment, and the one put out by the UN. They were wrong about the degree of ocean warming, though, and had to correct that report, and that got by the peer review at Nature. But, nope, no answers here. Part of the problem, not the solution.

I was smart to not have children, it appears.

I don't think most people will take it seriously until it is an immediate crisis.

Sent from my moto z3 using JazzFanz mobile app

I was smart to not have children, it appears.

I don't think most people will take it seriously until it is an immediate crisis.

Sent from my moto z3 using JazzFanz mobile app

Some of us simply don't buy into the doomsday scenario or care for the fear mongering that New York is going to be covered in 5 feet of water or California is going to get washed away. Climates change regardless of human activity. Should we do something about if we are accelerating the pace to where adaptation isn't feasible? Damn right we should. Are we accelerating it at a pace that we won't be able to adapt to? Probably not, unless humanity has given up the ghost.

I'm a huge proponent of attacking the number one pollution creator, American vehicle fuel. But try explaining to people in a way they can understand and relate to and you'll get nowhere fast. The stupid demagoguery envelops awefully fast.

Says the guy who can't give up his pollution creating phone and posting on jazzfanz. We all have to do something, or maybe have to, but me telling you that you are going to kill your future grandchildren by posting on jazzfanz isn't much of a useful tactic.

Why does fish want to murder my grandbabies?

Some of us simply don't buy into the doomsday scenario or care for the fear mongering that New York is going to be covered in 5 feet of water or California is going to get washed away.

I'm not a climatologist or have the kind of background that I could read all 1000 pages of this latest US assessment, and comprehend it all. I have to depend on the bullet points and on the summary interpretation offered by the scientists from our federal agencies who did contribute to the report. When I see that the overwhelming percentage of scientists who should know agree that human activity is most responsible for the degree of ongoing global warming, I do trust that that is the case.

I think the alarmist nature of the warnings are because there is an urgency about the situation that justifies alarmist attitudes. I don't think it's scientists with a political agenda, for instance. And I don't take the populist approach of lumping all scientists into "the elites" as justified at all. I think it's a shame that, for many, scientists are seen as elites attempting to pull the wool over everybody's eyes. I am not a fan, at all, of Scientism, but I am appreciative of the scientific method, and I do not think what you are calling fear mongering is just a lot of hot air. Unintended pun, lol.

I'm not aware of any models saying California is going to wash into the sea. But I do believe coastal cities are certainly in jeopardy. Here in RI, our entire south facing Atlantic coast is one strip of beautiful salt ponds fronted by barrier beaches. They will disappear as sea level rise continues. I see this already. Our favorite beach has had all its cottages closest to the shore either moved back, or washed away in some cases. We have seen the concession stand moved back 3 times in the last 10-15 years. All our barrier beaches are expected to disappear. Our precious salt marshes are disappearing. All due to sea level rise.

I do not take the alarmist nature of the UN report and the 2018 US assessment as evidence that they are nothing but elitist scientists slinging unfounded bs. But, I do indeed have to trust the scientists when they contribute to these reports, since I myself am not a climate scientist. I feel sorry for future generations because I trust I have good reason to feel sorry for future generations. I do believe if the temperatures rise to the degree forecast, that there will be consequences as described.

Says the guy who can't give up his pollution creating phone and posting on jazzfanz. We all have to do something, or maybe have to, but me telling you that you are going to kill your future grandchildren by posting on jazzfanz isn't much of a useful tactic.

Why does fish want to murder my grandbabies?

Well, that last is a crazy thing to say, and of course you're being sarcastic, I guess. Most of us are part of the problem, not the solution in that respect. I drive a car that uses a fossil fuel. I cannot possibly afford an electric car. I contribute plastic to our landfill. It doesn't mean that I cannot be allowed to regard, just as fishonjazz regards, climate change as "a huge issue and deserves way more attention then it's getting". I am guessing fish is thinking of Trump, and his dismissal of human caused global warming, when he says that. Most of us are essentially "trapped" in the life we lead and cannot simply transform our life and lifestyle into something that absolutely, 100%, does not contribute to this problem. I think fishonjazz is simply aware that our present political leadership is out of touch with the overall problem.

I regard climate change, global warming, and mankind's contribution to both, as perhaps the biggest problem facing humanity. But, although I can say that and believe it to be the case, indeed to such a degree that I can regard Trump's attitude to these problems, with his advocacy of coal and other fossil fuels as something that will cause history to judge him as having committed crimes against humanity, and I do believe that, I do also have to recognize the degree to which my own life is hypocritical in not doing enough on a personal level. I cannot sweep that under the rug. I can only look in the mirror and admit I am part of the problem, not the solution.

But consider just one way in which Trump, who has much more power to effect my nation's response to the threat then I ever could, responds to wind energy. He criticizes it because he says wind turbines kill too many birds. Are you kidding me? He only says that because he favors fossil fuels, and his appointment of Pruitt to the EPA, and Zinke to Interior, is proof of that. Yes, Pruitt is gone, but his replacement is no better. Trump would abolish the EPA all together if he could simply get away with it.

Trump effects my country's response to the problem through lies, through abolishing all of Obama's efforts to respond to climate change, in part because he hates Obama and wants to completely erase any and all legacies attributed to Obama, and by taking the ostrich approach to climate change. This is absurd, and, from my perspective, is the number one reason Trump must be voted out of office in 2020. Yes, I am an extremist in that respect. Because I regard Trump as an enemy of mankind and an enemy of life on Earth. Period. And I do believe History will so judge the man. He is an enemy of life on our planet.

So Trump has an IQ, I think, of about 174.... like I read somewhere in the Webz…… if IQ means anything at all. But if he is smart, he has learned street speak and doesn't talk just to sound smart, for sure. What is for sure is he listens to others a lot. If he is being a contrarian to the Deep State Professional Managerial class, it's because they don't have the votes he needs to win.

Wouldn't be the first time we ever had a Prez who talks one way and goes another.

What he isn't is..…. well managed..... by the Reds of the world and their managers. He might be well-managed by some few people who are able to see the way to do it, like the way I'm managed by my teenage girls, say.

Posting a goofy pic of Trump and just sayin' he's a chump is pretty worn out.

I might think Red is as goofy as the Establishment looney bin of eclectic rich elites, but like most people he is mostly governed by the stuff he loves, and the people who know how to manipulate those loves to get people to fall in line. I couldn't make a clean separation of political advocates along any rational or objective lines of reason. I don't love management, and maybe I don't wanna listen to the marching music.

So Trump has an IQ, I think, of about 174.... like I read somewhere in the Webz…… if IQ means anything at all

I knew the actor James Woods personally. Went to high school with him, and he was one of the class geniuses. I believe his IQ is just as high. Yet, if I browse his twitter account, he's as dumb as dirt. Go figure. Trump seems the same.

So, with those above considerations in view, here's the true science.

Our scientists today are paid schills for one rich old dude or another, however you want to make it out. If nobody pays them, they will be farmers or gas station clerks.

Being a schill of the oil industry is just as credible as being a schill for the Al Gore carbon credits global taxationers and global levelers of the wannabee middle class of aspiring competitors to the current fatcats.

At the highest levels of management, the new world they hope to make permanent is a world with fewer but bigger walled, electronically surveilled and heavily protected mansion-enclaves within a few hours' limo ride to an international airport. Good, safe neighbors well beyond the reach of the unwashed masses. Those are the borders that matter. The only borders that matter.

Taxes are of no concern to these people, because they simply add them back into the prices of the stuff they sell to the masses.

Government handouts are wonderful cash cows, as well. Gotta give the chumps some cash to spend at WalMart and all their other big box stores, to keep their ownership of all manufacturing and all resources paying their bills.

It doesn't matter if the world cools or warms, turns to ice or burns, as long as they have something to shock and awe the masses with to make them patriotic or international dreamers with visions and loves that make them useful idiots for management.

That's what being moral-less, narcissistic sociopaths is all about.

I knew the actor James Woods personally. Went to high school with him, and he was one of the class geniuses. I believe his IQ is just as high. Yet, if I browse his twitter account, he's as dumb as dirt. Go figure. Trump seems the same.

No way in hell would Trump have the attention span for a 3 hour IQ test.

In today's intellectual soup, being as dumb as dirt sounds snazzy. For sure, if people today say that, it must be because he's different from the people who say such smart stuff.

I might think Red is as goofy as the Establishment looney bin of eclectic rich elites, but like most people he is mostly governed by the stuff he loves, and the people who know how to manipulate those loves to get people to fall in line. I couldn't make a clean separation of political advocates along any rational or objective lines of reason. I don't love management, and maybe I don't wanna listen to the marching music.

Well, obviously I have a higher opinion of myself, lol. Your statement "I couldn't make a clean separation of political advocates along any rational or objective line of reason" is just another of your many statements that elicit a "what the hell does that even mean?" response from me. Either I don't have your genius IQ, and hence cannot penetrate the depths of meaning in your thoughts, or you just like to write things that sometimes sounds good, but actually contain no real meaning. Well, for sure I am no genius, and I must exist outside your ability to understand me. Not because I am smarter, but because you are unable to think outside your own box. I believe I understand your overall anti-elite stance, and hence your support of right wing populism, but too often you write things simply too obtuse for my limited intellect to comprehend. Or, you're just full of ****. I must hold out the latter as one reason I sometimes find it hard to follow your "reasoning"(?).